Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3-4 Mock (w/ trade)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beardorama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: 3-4 Mock (w/ trade) Reply with quote

Let Walk
RB Smith
RB Logan
RB Harrison
RB Chapas
WR Osgood
WR Durham
TE Heller
OL Cherilus
DL Avril
DL Jackson
DL Williams
DL Fluellen
LB Durant
LB Levy
DB Lacey
DB Florence
DB Lee
DB Spievey
K Hanson
P Harris
LS Muhlbach

Re-Sign/Tender
RB Bell
OL Hilliard
OL Fox
OL Gandy
DL Hill
DL Young
LB Palmer
DB Houston
DB Delmas
DB Silva
DB Carey

Cut/Retire
QB Hill
RB Best
WR Young

Restructure/Extend
OL Raiola
OL Backus
WR Burleson
QB Stafford

Free Agency

OG, Andy Levitre
With our only BIG re-signings being Houston and (arguably) Delmas, we should have some $ to go after some of our "needs". In this case, Levitre provides a huge upgrade to our interior OL. I think his signing also allows the staff with a year to evaluate a healthy Nagy and Austin as potential replacements for Raiola.

SS, William Moore
I read recently that Moore will command 5 years, $25 million. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I feel like with the restructures (esp. Stafford) and letting some (potentially) large contracts walk in FA, we should be able to focus our $ to fill specific needs. Moore would pair with Delmas to make up a tandem of physical safeties. As is the current trend of the NFL, we'd just need to hope for their health.

WR, Ramses Barden
Shouldn't break the bank, big target that could reach potential across from CJ down the road.

WR, Joshua Cribbs
Signed to improve special teams and add depth. Suddenly our WR situation doesn't seem so dire.

Draft

1st Round, #5 Overall - OLB, Dion Jordan, Oregon
As we transition to the 3-4, we need elite athletes on the outside. Jordan can rush the passer, drop into coverage, and much more.

1st Round, #10 Overall - OLB, Barkevious Mingo, LSU
In this situation, we trade our 2nd (2013), 3rd (2013) and 2nd (2014) to get our other "bookend" OLB for the 3-4. (Note: those picks would technically "work" per the TVC, but if future year picks don't hold as much value, we could either make it a 1st (2014) or add a 3rd (2014).) Mingo is such an elite athlete that, paired with Jordan, would hopefully give us two of the best 3-4 OLBs in the near future.

4th Round, Comp - RB, Kenjon Barner, Oregon
We've all heard the talk of adding a "speed" back, and Barner certainly fits that bill. I think he is being undervalued on draft boards, but I'd be very glad to have him in the 4th if that's the case.

5th Round, #130 Overall - NT, Kwame Geathers, Georgia
We will need to add solid depth for the switch to the 3-4. Geathers can be the primary backup to Hill, and is massive enough to absorb blockers as a NT.

6th Round, #162 Overall - DE, Damion Square, Alabama
Same story as above, adding solid young talent to back-up Suh and Fairley as 3-4 DE.

7th Round, #174 Overall - P, Brad Wing, LSU
Goodbye Nick Harris, hello to what is hopefully a P with a lengthy career here.

7th Round, Comp - K, Caleb Sturgis, Florida
Goodbye Jason Hanson (and thank you), hello to what is hopefully another 20-year kicker.

Depth

Offense
QB Stafford | Moore
RB Leshoure | Bell | Barner
WR Johnson | Burleson | Broyles | Barden | Cribbs
TE Pettigrew | Scheffler
LT Backus | Fox
LG Sims | Gandy
C Raiola | Nagy
RG Levitre | Austin
RT Reiff | Hilliard

Defense
DE Suh | Square
NT Hill | Geathers
DE Fairley
OLB Jordan | Young
ILB Tulloch | Palmer
ILB Whitehead | Lewis
OLB Mingo | Lewis
CB Houston | Greenwood
FS Delmas | Silva
SS Moore | Carey
CB Green | Bentley

Special Teams
K Sturgis
P Wing
KR/PR Cribbs
Donnybighorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it but I would love it more if Werner was available @5 instead of Jordan.and try to keep a handful of guys you let walk. Hanson,LoJack,durrant. I love the mingo pick I don't care what scheme it's in, he is a beast. If they picked him @5 I wouldn't complain at all.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I looked at it, and really wanted to hate it because of the 3-4 change. It's solid though. Good trade up for Mingo. Big time risk with Jordan/Mingo BOTH panning out, but still I like them both as OLB. Palmer easily starts over Whitehead too since he can play MLB and shed blocks. Both Lewis's make good back up 3-4 LB'ers. Suh/Fairley/Hill make a great starting 3-4 line*imo.

I don't hate it too much, improves our pass rush definately without going crazy in FA or spending money. Just a trade up defense change/scheme.

An might I say, if there ever was a year to swith to the 3-4, it's this year with all key FA( Williams/Levy/Durant/Avril/KVB now cut/Jackson.) Wouldn't be a TOTAL revelation except in coaching style if we sign/draft a bunch of a 3-4 guys anyways.
beardorama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
An might I say, if there ever was a year to swith to the 3-4, it's this year with all key FA( Williams/Levy/Durant/Avril/KVB now cut/Jackson.) Wouldn't be a TOTAL revelation except in coaching style if we sign/draft a bunch of a 3-4 guys anyways.

This is sort of my thinking, too.

1. 4 of 7 starters up front are free-agents.
2. Of those 4, none are 3-4 players. (the only FA that is, essentially, is Sammie Hill)
3. There are elite athletes at the top of this draft that should excel in a 3-4 (e.g. Jordan, Mingo).
4. Selecting edge rushers in the Top 10 fits into the "positional value" logic.
5. By allowing so many FA to walk and building through the draft, we can allocate money carefully to fill specific needs (e.g. OG, SS).
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Jrugges has already mentioned if there was a time to make the switch this would be the time.

Like Jrugges I also didn't want to like it. I thought I would simply be dismissing it off hand because the Lions have not had the right personnel.

But.....what can I say. It looks pretty darned good.

I love the LeVitre signing. He is number one on my wish list. In reality I don't think the Lions can afford him but he would be a great addition.

I think Barden would be worth the risk and I don't think he will command big dollars.

I keep seeing mocks where Hill is cut. Does no one think the Lions can trade him? I think the Lions could get a return for him. If not Hills agent would also know that so he would be a good candidate for a pay cut. No matter how it turns out the Lions won't only have two QB's on the roster. I'm not against moving Hill but Stanton or someone would have to be signed.

Transitioning to a 3-4 I love the Jordan pick.

I don't see the trade up working unless next years first is included. I like Mingo and others might not share my view but I'm not certain he will be available at the 10 spot.

I don't like trading away the future but in order to make this work (3-4) it might have to be done.

I understand the Barner pick and if the Lions were going to add a speedy back he's probably one of the top choices. Normally I would be saying lets get an OG so some interior running room can be created but you did that in free agency with LeVitre so I have no problem with a speed back. The run game would be optimized with lanes up the middle and a quick speedster to catch the dump offs.

The rest of the picks are depth and development players so I have no problem.

You did a really good job with this and as much as I'm against the 3-4 you made it work.

Good Job.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so tired of the 3-4.

I hate it now. It is so overrated. For some reaosn every team in the NFL according to fans should run a 3-4. I have no idea why.

Sig bet
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
I'm so tired of the 3-4.

I hate it now. It is so overrated. For some reaosn every team in the NFL according to fans should run a 3-4. I have no idea why.

Yeah I hate people always suggesting the Lions switch to it when the coaches are pretty clear that it ain't happening.

Maybe the next staff decides to run it but who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
I'm so tired of the 3-4.

Yeah I hate people always suggesting the Lions switch to it when the coaches are pretty clear that it ain't happening.

Maybe the next staff decides to run it but who knows.

Remember, it is a "mock" draft. As much as we all want to be realistic, we really have no idea what the Lions brass is going to do come draft day (I certainly never saw Fairley coming, for example).

That said, this is what I personally would like to see happen. I think it would complement our current players well, allow us to take positional impact/value at the top of the draft, and allocate our limited $ strategically in FA.

I also think that with premier athletes along the front seven (e.g. Suh, Fairley, Jordan, Mingo), we could offer a multitude of different looks and blitz schemes, whether that means Mingo/Jordan lining up with their hand in the dirt, shifting Suh/Fairley inside, etc., so that we aren't "pigeon-holed" into one set scheme (e.g. 3-4, Wide-9).
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
I'm so tired of the 3-4.

It's not over-rated. If you have a great LB core you can take up more "field" in a 3-4 than a 4-3 front. 4-3 fronts get after the passser/ball carrier quicker(traditionally). Right now Lions have neither as a strength and should build a strength based on personel(like they always claim) yet draft whimpy pass rushers who have next to no business in a 4-3 alginement( Willie Young outta college, Lewis, even Avril was considered a risk since he had some time at SLB in college and was just over 250lbs when drafted.

The league is starting to get where teams have all those types on the same defense and throw both looks at you consistantly. Example( Seattle/S.F./Cincy.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: