Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Offseason Thread™ [Vol. III]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 97, 98, 99  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nabbs4u


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 23061
Location: North Carolina Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
rememberthevet wrote:
I never understood why Maclin catches so much flack. He's a good WR, he does everything that's asked of him. Everyone had a bad year last year, our O-line set us up for disaster early on. D-Jax and Maclin are speed WR, and are completely ineffective if there is no time for them to run deep routes. We really just need an athletic big WR to compliment Mac and Jax, Avant doesn't draw enough attention.


Well maclin is inconsistent and soft. Also he doesn't fit the chip kelly mold so we all know he's gone after this season anyway.


I mean if we can get something for him have to consider it.


Maclin has more characteristic's of what Chip Kelly wants in a WR then Desean Jackson. I assume he too will be cut/let go next season? Your guys hatred for specific players goes overboard sometimes. I get it he's not Hakeem Nicks. Funny thing is is that if Nicks was a Eagle "You" and "others" would be saying the same exact thing about him since he and Maclin have more in common then anyone truely wants to admit. Only difference (massive by the way) is Nicks has only had one "singular" QB throwing him the ball the last four years. Not seven like Maclin.
_________________

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 6 Gm/ 27 Rec/ 445 Yds/ 4 TD/ 16.5 YPC/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
killdawabbit


Joined: 10 Sep 2006
Posts: 5587
Location: Somewhere you're not.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
rememberthevet wrote:
I never understood why Maclin catches so much flack. He's a good WR, he does everything that's asked of him. Everyone had a bad year last year, our O-line set us up for disaster early on. D-Jax and Maclin are speed WR, and are completely ineffective if there is no time for them to run deep routes. We really just need an athletic big WR to compliment Mac and Jax, Avant doesn't draw enough attention.


Well maclin is inconsistent and soft. Also he doesn't fit the chip kelly mold so we all know he's gone after this season anyway.


I mean if we can get something for him have to consider it.


Maclin has more characteristic's of what Chip Kelly wants in a WR then Desean Jackson. I assume he too will be cut/let go next season? Your guys hatred for specific players goes overboard sometimes. I get it he's not Hakeem Nicks. Funny thing is is that if Nicks was a Eagle "You" and "others" would be saying the same exact thing about him since he and Maclin have more in common then anyone truely wants to admit. Only difference (massive by the way) is Nicks has only had one "singular" QB throwing him the ball the last four years. Not seven like Maclin.


Actually, Jackson fits what Kelly wants very well. He likes guys that create speed/agility mismatches and has used them in multiple ways in the past. I expect to see Jackson lined up at more than WR this season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nabbs4u


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 23061
Location: North Carolina Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
rememberthevet wrote:
I never understood why Maclin catches so much flack. He's a good WR, he does everything that's asked of him. Everyone had a bad year last year, our O-line set us up for disaster early on. D-Jax and Maclin are speed WR, and are completely ineffective if there is no time for them to run deep routes. We really just need an athletic big WR to compliment Mac and Jax, Avant doesn't draw enough attention.


Well maclin is inconsistent and soft. Also he doesn't fit the chip kelly mold so we all know he's gone after this season anyway.


I mean if we can get something for him have to consider it.


Maclin has more characteristic's of what Chip Kelly wants in a WR then Desean Jackson. I assume he too will be cut/let go next season? Your guys hatred for specific players goes overboard sometimes. I get it he's not Hakeem Nicks. Funny thing is is that if Nicks was a Eagle "You" and "others" would be saying the same exact thing about him since he and Maclin have more in common then anyone truely wants to admit. Only difference (massive by the way) is Nicks has only had one "singular" QB throwing him the ball the last four years. Not seven like Maclin.


Actually, Jackson fits what Kelly wants very well. He likes guys that create speed/agility mismatches and has used them in multiple ways in the past. I expect to see Jackson lined up at more than WR this season.


That's his only asset speed. There is nothing else he does better then Maclin. Block, hands, route running etc. My problem is why that same assumption you just used for Desean can't be used for Maclin? Why wouldn't Kelly find different ways of getting him the ball in space and in multiple sets? Maclin is not slow. Desean fast of course not (not many are) but people in this forum act like Maclin is slow and I just don't see it.
_________________

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 6 Gm/ 27 Rec/ 445 Yds/ 4 TD/ 16.5 YPC/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 49687
Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's getting too caught up in "what Chip prefers", the reason why there's a seeming discrepancy among how people interpret Chip's preferences is simply because of the diverse range of skill-sets Chip's players have always had. He's coached guys who were big, lanky, and strong. He's coached guys who were small and speedy and not very strong.

He's going to utilize whatever he has. He's a football coach, a teacher, a strategist. I'm sure he's ready to utilize whatever players he has on the roster whether you're Jackson, Maclin, Benn, Cooper, Avant, or whatever else.

I'm not saying he doesn't have preferences, just that I highly doubt those preferences are as clear cut as some people make it out to be.
_________________
theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZ_Eaglesfan


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 5813
Location: Arizona
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Maclin is a good football player. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong. He is constantly injured, and that seems to be his biggest problem, but other then that he has done what was asked of him. Is he a number 1 guy? No, but he is a solid number 2 and a valuable asset IMO. Mac is a quick guy with good top end speed, he has good hands and is willing to go over the middle of the field. His vertical routes are almost as good as Jackson's, and I am pretty sure he is the only receiver on our team with any experience catching TD passes. I think Maclin has a shot to be a very good receiver still, and I see absolutely no reason to trade him yet. Lets see what we have in him this year, and then decide if he is worth resigning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k2g187


Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 66
Location: Rhode Island
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes, Daddy Maclin is a stud, what are you all on about ? He outperforms D-Jack pretty consistently , mostly in the TD department. He's been playing with an injured desean and under utilized rb and qbs that get constantly sacked. Give the boy a chance. Trading a solid wr that isnt even that expensive contract wise for some low picks? Get outta here with that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killdawabbit


Joined: 10 Sep 2006
Posts: 5587
Location: Somewhere you're not.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
rememberthevet wrote:
I never understood why Maclin catches so much flack. He's a good WR, he does everything that's asked of him. Everyone had a bad year last year, our O-line set us up for disaster early on. D-Jax and Maclin are speed WR, and are completely ineffective if there is no time for them to run deep routes. We really just need an athletic big WR to compliment Mac and Jax, Avant doesn't draw enough attention.


Well maclin is inconsistent and soft. Also he doesn't fit the chip kelly mold so we all know he's gone after this season anyway.


I mean if we can get something for him have to consider it.


Maclin has more characteristic's of what Chip Kelly wants in a WR then Desean Jackson. I assume he too will be cut/let go next season? Your guys hatred for specific players goes overboard sometimes. I get it he's not Hakeem Nicks. Funny thing is is that if Nicks was a Eagle "You" and "others" would be saying the same exact thing about him since he and Maclin have more in common then anyone truely wants to admit. Only difference (massive by the way) is Nicks has only had one "singular" QB throwing him the ball the last four years. Not seven like Maclin.


Actually, Jackson fits what Kelly wants very well. He likes guys that create speed/agility mismatches and has used them in multiple ways in the past. I expect to see Jackson lined up at more than WR this season.


That's his only asset speed. There is nothing else he does better then Maclin. Block, hands, route running etc. My problem is why that same assumption you just used for Desean can't be used for Maclin? Why wouldn't Kelly find different ways of getting him the ball in space and in multiple sets? Maclin is not slow. Desean fast of course not (not many are) but people in this forum act like Maclin is slow and I just don't see it.


Firstly, I want to make it clear that I said nothing about Maclin one way or another.

As far as Jackson is concerned, he's got a few things going for him. He's not just fast, he's got explosive speed. Next he is excellent with the ball in his hands. He's the type of guy you can line up all over the field as an explosive playmaker. I'm not just talking about at WR, I mean everywhere sans on the line. It's not just strictly speed with him. He could play the Barner role (as was talked about when Chip was hired) probably better than Barner.

Maclin is certainly not slow. He can do some things with the ball in his hands as well, but he would never be mistaken for even a scat RB. He's more of a pure WR than someone like Jackson is though, while Desean is more of a potentially versatile playmaker.

In my opinion, that is what people are talking about when they are speculating on trading Maclin. I don't know whether I agree with it or not, but I see where they are coming from. Your mistake is that you are thinking of both of them as strictly WRs (as is clearly evidenced by your post).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PowerElite


Joined: 25 Dec 2009
Posts: 8808
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both are excellent 3rd receivers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesFan5-36-81


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 14558
Location: Sky is the limit and Space is the place
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
rememberthevet wrote:
I never understood why Maclin catches so much flack. He's a good WR, he does everything that's asked of him. Everyone had a bad year last year, our O-line set us up for disaster early on. D-Jax and Maclin are speed WR, and are completely ineffective if there is no time for them to run deep routes. We really just need an athletic big WR to compliment Mac and Jax, Avant doesn't draw enough attention.


Well maclin is inconsistent and soft. Also he doesn't fit the chip kelly mold so we all know he's gone after this season anyway.


I mean if we can get something for him have to consider it.


Maclin has more characteristic's of what Chip Kelly wants in a WR then Desean Jackson. I assume he too will be cut/let go next season? Your guys hatred for specific players goes overboard sometimes. I get it he's not Hakeem Nicks. Funny thing is is that if Nicks was a Eagle "You" and "others" would be saying the same exact thing about him since he and Maclin have more in common then anyone truely wants to admit. Only difference (massive by the way) is Nicks has only had one "singular" QB throwing him the ball the last four years. Not seven like Maclin.


Actually, Jackson fits what Kelly wants very well. He likes guys that create speed/agility mismatches and has used them in multiple ways in the past. I expect to see Jackson lined up at more than WR this season.


That's his only asset speed. There is nothing else he does better then Maclin. Block, hands, route running etc. My problem is why that same assumption you just used for Desean can't be used for Maclin? Why wouldn't Kelly find different ways of getting him the ball in space and in multiple sets? Maclin is not slow. Desean fast of course not (not many are) but people in this forum act like Maclin is slow and I just don't see it.


Firstly, I want to make it clear that I said nothing about Maclin one way or another.

As far as Jackson is concerned, he's got a few things going for him. He's not just fast, he's got explosive speed. Next he is excellent with the ball in his hands. He's the type of guy you can line up all over the field as an explosive playmaker. I'm not just talking about at WR, I mean everywhere sans on the line. It's not just strictly speed with him. He could play the Barner role (as was talked about when Chip was hired) probably better than Barner.

Maclin is certainly not slow. He can do some things with the ball in his hands as well, but he would never be mistaken for even a scat RB. He's more of a pure WR than someone like Jackson is though, while Desean is more of a potentially versatile playmaker.

In my opinion, that is what people are talking about when they are speculating on trading Maclin. I don't know whether I agree with it or not, but I see where they are coming from. Your mistake is that you are thinking of both of them as strictly WRs (as is clearly evidenced by your post).


I think Chip will use Jackson more like he used De'Anthony Thomas. Flex him out wide, in the slot, in the backfield, as a return specialist, and any other way you can get the ball in his hands.

I just want a more physical presence on the outside who can muscle his way through tackles instead of tackling himself. Maclin is a good receiver, but thats about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
baconrad3


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 7679
Location: Tempe, AZ
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
I pretty much hate this offseason so far. Our best move so far has been signing a back-up TE. Can you feel the excitement? We got some overrated players from good teams (Williams, Barwin, Sopoaga) and some players that can't stay on the field (Bradley, Chung, Benn, Phillips). Plus we kept Vick. WTF man… Confused

If we compete at all next season it won't be because of the talent they're bringing in now, it'll be because of the talent already on the roster.



Actually we've had a very good offseason. IDK what you expected. We signed a ton of young, talented players to low-risk contracts. Fletcher is a very good corner and is finally healthy (has been injure the past 2 years), Williams is an above average man corner who can actually tackle, Barwin is a solid all-around LB......Obviously some might not pan out....But what if most do (I see Barwin, KP, Fletch, and Williams all being starters for the next 3-4 years depending on their contracts)?

James Casey is a back up TE? Huh? He is going to be our H-back.......and he is a very solid signing.

We didn't make a ton of flashy moves...but I really like most of the signings...I can see KP, Barwin, Williams, Fletcher, and Casey all being significant contributors. Sop will be a solid stop-gap NT......Chung I'm not too sure. He is the biggest boom or bust of them all. But he has the talent.

Would you have preferred we threw money at guys like Dashon Goldson and Jared Cook?

Sometimes I really don't understand the things you say...
_________________


#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 49687
Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I wasn't expecting the type of off-season we had at all circa February.
We added excellent players and beat out some 30 teams for their services.

Guys who are young, have room to grow.
_________________
theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bleedin_Green36


Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Posts: 13086
Location: Largo, FL
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumors that Irsay is pursuing Maclin..
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nabbs4u


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 23061
Location: North Carolina Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
Rumors that Irsay is pursuing Maclin..


Have a Link?
_________________

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 6 Gm/ 27 Rec/ 445 Yds/ 4 TD/ 16.5 YPC/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kiltman


Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 14879
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Yeah I wasn't expecting the type of off-season we had at all circa February.
We added excellent players and beat out some 30 teams for their services.

Guys who are young, have room to grow.

Yeah same....

Thing I like is we signed young (outside of Isaac), hard workers with some upside. And all of them are on one or two year deals in reality.....so we'll see who sticks....and those who don't we aren't married to them and can address those positions next year...meanwhile we get to go BPA for the most part this year in the draft (with some extra importance put on OT and other positions.)
_________________

2013 Gold Standard Baldy Winner | The Final(?) ENBD Champion | other stuff too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kiltman


Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 14879
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
Rumors that Irsay is pursuing Maclin..


Have a Link?

I think it's just speculation...Irsay said something about a trade in the works for a wideout.....and people connected the dots back to us because of Grigson.


Colts don't have a 2nd round pick so if it is I don't know what the package of picks would be if its true.
_________________

2013 Gold Standard Baldy Winner | The Final(?) ENBD Champion | other stuff too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 98 of 99

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group