Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Outlook
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Draft Outlook Reply with quote

With Bowe, Albert, and Colquitt back - what's about the draft?

From a needs perspective: the Chiefs will have to find three (may be four) starters. Check here

DE: Dorsey is out, Jackson .. hmm ... we'll see. Only in-house guy: Bailey, who was benched most of the time last year.
ILB: the Belcher replacemnet. Siler is an UFA. Think he should be brought back. Probably not the best solution, but workable.
CB: The bookend to Flowers. Arenas is just a stopgap, easily overmatched by bigger WR.

Further down the line:

WR: Is Baldwin a true starter? He didn't show he is so far.

So who's your choice?

Milliner?
Patterson/Austin?
Ansah/Lotulelei?

Or still Geno??
KCWolf1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, my draft board looks like this as of now...

Geno Smith
Dee Milliner
Star Lotulelei
Sharrif Floyd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, great minds think alike. I just started a thread that's pretty much identical, but more focused on defense and the repercussions of cutting TJax.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't think of a WR, if we're talking first overall or even first round. I like Baldwin a little less than I like Kendrick Lewis, so you all know what that means. But we need immediate impact players this year, especially if we can't slide into the second somehow.

So I'll go positional first

DE
CB
ILB
QB

As our biggest needs going forward. If we had our second I'd say we could wait on a CB. Maybe we go to FA but money's gonna be tight now. But I just don't like the idea of Milliner at 1 overall at ALL. I think there is come guys that will be there in the third who can play.

I like Star, if he checks out. Even though it pains me to draft yet another first round DL. Ansah has a ton of upside. Floyd just reminds me of a Tyrannosaur.

Bottom line is, no ILB is worth first overall, so that becomes a later draft need.

Geno is my wild card, and as I've said before. At MINIMUM we need to work and act like he's a legitimate option for us.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryk, I think you can appreciate this. When I say how I feel about Floyd this pic comes to mind.

KC_Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Ryk, I think you can appreciate this. When I say how I feel about Floyd this pic comes to mind.

What's that?? a Huggysaurus??
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selecting Sharrif Floyd puts a prototypical 4-3 3 Technique in a 3-4 system. Question is does Bob Sutton plan on moving to more of a one gap attacking system? For years, the two gap read & react scheme has held back Glenn Dorsey.

I still consider Luke Joeckel a viable option. Moves Albert to LG & creates the top offensive line in the league.

My real question is what's Andy's view on Donald Stephenson. He was a 3rd Round pick last year & has potential. I think the decision to FT Albert indicates he's not ready to assume a starting spot.

Lilja has retired & Jeff Allen struggles on the interior. Hypothetically, this Offensive Line would be a dream for Andy.

LT: Luke Joeckel
LG: Brandon Albert
OC: Rodney Hudson
RG: Jon Asamoah
RT: Eric Winston
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

What's that?? a Huggysaurus??

Hahaha, nope. That's Sharrif Floyd's ancestor from 65 million years ago. Laughing

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Eric Berry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert will be playing LT and nothing else.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume Mark Castle and Tyson Jackson are cut.

For me, that leaves CB2, DE, ILB, LG, WR2, and TE as our biggest needs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Berry wrote:

Mark Castle? You mean Matt Cassel?

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:0/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Draft Outlook Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
With Bowe, Albert, and Colquitt back - what's about the draft?

From a needs perspective: the Chiefs will have to find three (may be four) starters. Check here

DE: Dorsey is out, Jackson .. hmm ... we'll see. Only in-house guy: Bailey, who was benched most of the time last year.
ILB: the Belcher replacemnet. Siler is an UFA. Think he should be brought back. Probably not the best solution, but workable.
CB: The bookend to Flowers. Arenas is just a stopgap, easily overmatched by bigger WR.

Further down the line:

WR: Is Baldwin a true starter? He didn't show he is so far.

So who's your choice?

Milliner?
Patterson/Austin?
Ansah/Lotulelei?

Or still Geno??

As far as I'm concerned if we're questioning Baldwin as a starter we need to add Allen,Hudson, and Poe as well. All are 1 or 2 year players with the difference being Baldwin is dependent on another position to produce. Most of us believe Breaston is a decent #2 in this league and Baldwin was ahead up him...neither one could get the ball this year.

Of course we do need to question Allen and Baldwin is still not proven, my point being it's too soon to look at drafting starters to replace them. That being said, I do want a WR in the 2nd or 3rd because Reid will actually use 3 outside WR's, there will be great value, and we simply don't have any starting needs outside CB, ILB, and DE.

Assuming we can't get another starter in FA, much like my mock draft, I hope we go:

1.DL...if not QB or trade down
3.CB/WR
3.WR/CB
4.S/ILB
5.ILB/S
6.TE
7.Power RB...if we're not re-signing Hillis

Oh...and we're not drafting a LT and paying Albert 9 or 10 mill or whatever to play LG for one year before he leaves.

If I were GM, I'd be fielding calls for the #1 pick looking to acquire nothing less than a 1st and a 2nd...then grabbing Ansah and Rhodes with those picks.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without landing anyone of note in fa I have to say we go CB in round 1 with milliner, huge need! Followed closely by DL.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 positions of note :

DE
My Take : Glenn Dorsey is as good as gone. We need to re-sign Ropati Pitoitua who is a solid rotational player but not someone I would want to pencil in as a starter. If he accepts a rotational role and a salary that is based on that role, I would push to bring him back. Tyson Jackson's salary is obviously an issue. I think he has the leverage right now and I have a feeling that the only way he would be open to an extension would be if he gets atleast a large portion of the $17 million he is due in 2013 as guaranteed money in the extension. I like the idea of adding Chris Canty (might end up being too expensive) or Cullen Jenkins. If we part ways with Jackson we would probably have enough to sign both with Pitoitua and Allen Bailey as our primary backups. If we stay at #1 and he checks out medically, Star Lotulelei could be a good pick and provide our defense with a Holati Ngata-type of impact defensive lineman. Adding someone like Lotulelei could allow us to move Poe around to create matchup problems for opposing offenses.

Preference : Mid-tier free agents. Star Lotulelei is a definite option at #1 overall if he checks out medically.

CB
My Take : With the money we now have tied up in Hali, Flowers, Berry, Bowe, Albert, Smith, etc., I am not sure that we are going to have the salary cap room to add a bigger name free agent like Sean Smith or DRC and I am not sure that is necessarily a bad thing considering that both players are known up to this point for their inconsistency. As I mentioned in another topic, I like the idea of adding a second-level FA CB like Bradley Fletcher, Greg Toler, or even Chris Gamble if he is released by the Panthers and is open to a reasonable FA contract. There figures to be several solid options at the cornerback position in the middle rounds of the draft and I think this would give us an opportunity to add a solid developmental cornerback.

Preference : Mid-tier free agents and a developmental player in the middle rounds.

ILB
My Take : I would make a push to re-sign Brandon Siler and Edgar Jones. I think both could be retained for very reasonable contracts. Jones is a solid special teamer and Siler could float the boat as a starter until a replacement is groomed. If someone else that has more upside and youth really shines, Jones could be bumped from the roster prior to the regular season. In the draft there are several prospects I really like that I feel grade out as solid middle round developmental ILBs.

Preference : Mid-tier free agents and a developmental player in the middle rounds.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Eric Berry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefs82 wrote:
Eric Berry wrote:

Mark Castle? You mean Matt Cassel?

No I mean Mark Castle..who is Matt Cassel?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, I apologize if I missed this somewhere, but didn't Gamble play a lot of safety for Carolina?

I think honestly what we have to look at is, as you said. Glenn is gone, resigning him would be an absolute stunner unless he plays for virtually nothing. TJax paycut would almost be unfair how much less he would have to make, but it could happen. If it doesn't, honestly I think our first round pick is very forced. And if we can't trade back (heck even if we can) and as long as he checks out, I think it's gotta be Star. He can play NT, Poe slides out to end. And maybe we get a guy like Canty (who seems to have no shortage of suitors) to rotate with Bailey and a mid/late round guy.

My biggest sadness with not having 34 is that I think at least one of these guys Te'o, Ogeltree (least favorite), Rhodes, Brown and Minter will be there. All of which easily would have started for us. But honestly, we got a starting QB with that pick, so it's still a good pick. I think we need a stronger ILB than any rotation of Jones/Siler. I love Siler as a thumper, but I feel like he lacks the gift outside of the redzone. For my money, it's really close between CB2/ILB as our second biggest need. If we keep TJax, I would bump those to our number 1, depending on our 1st pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: