Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs sign WR Dwayne Bowe to 5-year deal; Re-sign P Colquit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamq

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible news! KC off to a fantastic start under the new regime!

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see Walter Football's review of these moves?

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013recap.php

Guy knows nothing about our team and is just a Chiefs hater.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:

Chiefs re-sign WR Dwayne Bowe (5 years, $50M; $24M guaranteed): C+ Grade
Dwayne Bowe was one of a group of overrated 2013 NFL Free Agent Wide Receivers. Bowe has been notorious for having work-ethic issues and getting into spats with head coaches. Bowe was in shape this past season, but seldom concentrated. He was responsible for a handful of Matt Cassel's interceptions and always seemed to fumble at the worst time possible. Bowe is very talented, but completely inefficient.

That's why the Chiefs are getting yet another low grade. Keeping Bowe around for a 1-year deal under the franchise tag is one thing, but this long contract is just inviting lethargy to sink in. It won't be surprising at all if Bowe is massively underproducing because he's out of shape in Year 2 of this contract.

Does he get payed to spew this garbage??? lol, Bowe lost his first fumble EVER this year. In his descriptions of all FA WR's he calls Bowe one of the most overrated players in the NFL. He also mentions in his assessment of almost every top FA WR how they all drop tons of passes...if they all drop "so many", did he ever stop to consider maybe they are just average droppers? What's even funnier is his top FA WR is Cruz who dropped more passed than any of the others, yet he doesn't mention that at all.

I've heard about this Walterfootball alot, what aspect of the NFL does he actually have credibility?

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
simonwayne wrote:

I've heard about this Walterfootball alot, what aspect of the NFL does he actually have credibility?

Based solely upon some of the mock drafts I've seen...none.
Taylor916

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rage, I love how we are usually on the same page. You seem to put a lot of effort in though, so kudos. as far as walter football, he used to be pretty good but he has turned into a complete clown. (seriously not being fececious, but is that word ok or is clown too much too?) I think the guy has lost a lot of credebility and has a big ego.
wishbone20

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 mil 26 guaranteed- Jason La Canfora's twitter
simonwayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

Not sure. It's funny to me that he blamed Bowe for a "handful" of Cassel's interceptions and also said there are work ethic concerns with Bowe. I'm sorry, but when have we ever seen anything serious to suggest Bowe doesn't work hard? That one MNF game when he didn't jump up in the air to make it look like he was trying to get a ball that was well out of his reach? I'd love to see any other top level WR be put in Bowe's situation from day 1 and not once complain to the media or make anything public, and also not even test the market. If the Walterfootball guy was running our team he probably would have tagged Colquitt, let Bowe and Albert walk, and then drafted Geno to start him right away despite having a group of useless receivers to throw to and an uproven LT blocking his blindside.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, to ignore that Bowe has had effort problems isn't right either. He and DJ spent some time in the dog house with past regimes. I'm not concerned, but what really interests me is SO many talking heads mentioning it.

I think it comes down to the fact that Pioli really affected Bowe's credibility as a player. He badmouthed him almost any chance he got, and even now that he has no affiliation he said he wouldn't sign Bowe to a long term deal. I think nothing would make me, the fans and even Bowe happier than if he came out and had a career season this year (as long as we're winning).

Props to Loto...the guy does great work
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the reported contract details from Profootballtalk.com on the Bowe contract :

Quote:
We’ve got the full breakdown of the five-year deal signed by receiver Dwayne Bowe.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, here it is.

1. $15 million signing bonus.

2. $750,000 fully-guaranteed base salary in 2013.

3. $250,000 workout bonus in each year of the contract.

4. $8.75 million base salary in 2014, $4.25 million of which is fully guaranteed now and $4.5 million of which is guaranteed for injury only now. The $4.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 league year.

5. $10.75 million base salary in 2015. $1.5 million is guaranteed for injury now, and it becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 (not 2015) league year.

6. $9.75 million base salary in 2016.

7. $9.75 million base salary in 2017.

It adds up to $36 million over the first three years, and $56 million over five. Of the amount, $26 million is guaranteed. $20 million is fully guaranteed now. The other $6 million becomes fully guaranteed next year.

It puts Bowe behind only Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald and Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, and barely in front of Buccaneers receiver Vincent Jackson. (Which means that the new regime views Bowe as a top five, not top 10, receiver.)

Of course, Bowe could soon slide down the totem pole. He has provided the starting point for soon-to-be free agent Mike Wallace, and if Percy Harvin gets a new deal from the Vikings or someone else, it’ll surely top Bowe’s contract.

The real question is whether Packers receiver Greg Jennings can match or beat Bowe on the open market.

In one week, we’ll find out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/bowe-moves-into-top-three-with-56-million-deal/

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tally up the 2013 numbers :

2013 base salary (fully guaranteed) of $750,000
2013 prorated signing bonus : $3,000,000
2013 workout bonus : $250,000

Bowe is only going to count for $4,000,000 against the 2013 salary cap which is a big savings IMO.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I noticed, based on the report, his 2015 base salary has an injury guarantee now for only $1,500,000 but the full amount ($10,750,000) becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 season.

If you take into account the escalated signing bonus that would count against the 2015 cap should he be cut ($9,000,000 total from $3,000,000 in 2015, 2016, and 2017) there would be a cap savings of $2,000,000.

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, yeah if Bowe is counting 4 million against the cap this year that is huge, as had we tagged him it would have been 11 million. I'm really hoping we can extend Albert on a similar type of deal and actually have room for potentially one splash signing and some smaller ones in FA. This certainly doesn't hurt our ability to sign players this year. And the cap should go up significantly next year.

Great deal for us and him. Now he just has to prove he is worth it, which I think he will.

Props to Loto...the guy does great work
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

Not sure. It's funny to me that he blamed Bowe for a "handful" of Cassel's interceptions and also said there are work ethic concerns with Bowe. I'm sorry, but when have we ever seen anything serious to suggest Bowe doesn't work hard? That one MNF game when he didn't jump up in the air to make it look like he was trying to get a ball that was well out of his reach? I'd love to see any other top level WR be put in Bowe's situation from day 1 and not once complain to the media or make anything public, and also not even test the market. If the Walterfootball guy was running our team he probably would have tagged Colquitt, let Bowe and Albert walk, and then drafted Geno to start him right away despite having a group of useless receivers to throw to and an uproven LT blocking his blindside.

I find him very knowledgeable about the NFL as a whole. He keeps up to date with all teams and knows lots of things a general fan wouldnt know. That being said he acts like he knows all the ins and outs of the team like he watched every snap.

All those concerns with Bowe are valid, IF he was making them 3 years ago.

In the end he has hated the Chiefs since the beginning of the Pioli era but he also was one of the people who last year said the Chiefs we're the best team without a true quarterback so he isn't completely useless. He also called that Cassel would struggle without Weis.

In the end he is okay but don't put all your money in his thoughts. I go mainly for the mock draft.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Nic, yeah if Bowe is counting 4 million against the cap this year that is huge, as had we tagged him it would have been 11 million. I'm really hoping we can extend Albert on a similar type of deal and actually have room for potentially one splash signing and some smaller ones in FA. This certainly doesn't hurt our ability to sign players this year. And the cap should go up significantly next year.

Great deal for us and him. Now he just has to prove he is worth it, which I think he will.

Yeah, I was pretty happy when I saw the contract breakdown. If that breakdown is correct, as you said, we should be in a pretty good cap situation and definitely if we do extend Albert with a similarly team-friendly 2013 cap number that could help out alot as well. Personally, I would look at restructuring Eric Berry now and starting talks with Justin Houston and his agent on an extension. I would hate to have him continue his ascent in 2013 and his contract value goes through the roof.

On a side note, Tamba Hali's contract hit drops in 2014 and I believe he could actually be cut and we would see a cap savings (not that I am advocating, just that is does show we have some flexibility next year on one of the bigger player contracts) of $2,500,000. This would be assuming there are no guaranteed amounts in 2014 and 2015.

Brandon Flowers also would provide a savings of $3,500,000 if he were cut prior to 2014 (base salary of $5,250,000, misc. bonus of $2,250,000, and prorated signing bonus escalation of $2,000,000. This would be assuming that there are no guaranteed amounts in 2014 and beyond.

ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
When I tally up the 2013 numbers :

2013 base salary (fully guaranteed) of $750,000
2013 prorated signing bonus : $3,000,000
2013 workout bonus : $250,000

Bowe is only going to count for $4,000,000 against the 2013 salary cap which is a big savings IMO.

How do signing bonuses work? They can give him 15 million up front for signing and we that doesn't count against the cap space for this year? Why not make it 20 million bonus? Why isn't this done with other guys if it saves so much cap room? I'm really out of the loop when it comes to this.

It look like we may be able to get our FA CB now that Bowe is costing us about 6 or 7 million less this year than we originally thot.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: