Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys place franchise tag on Anthony Spencer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
You two act like he wasnt "playing for a contract" in 2011 as well.

wait a second... are now saying that you WANTED spears re-signed or franchise tagged?

Spears? No.

Spencer? No as well. I wanted him to walk so that we could get a comp pick.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Bill Jones ‏@cbsdollarbill
Quote:

Stephen Jones says Monte Kiffin/Rod Marinelli came to them, after reviewing 2012 coaches film, & asked, "any way we can keep this guy?"

So one of the best DL coaches in the league agrees with me and disagrees with Slam and Plan?

Hmmm...

Notice this was allegedly said after watching 2012 film. Spencer played like a beast at times in 2012... especially toward the end of the year. i don't think Plan9 or I were critical of Spencer in 2012. It's just unfortunate that it took a contract year with a franchise tag for him to pull his head out. If they would have watched the 2010 film on Spencer, I'm very confident their response would have been "cut the BASTARD."

I was critical of Spencer in 2012 for waiting for a contract year to have a great season. He lazily played through his entire contract until the point where he's looking for a new deal.

And as I have pointed out many tines and you continue to ignore, Spencer has played at a high level for 3 out 4 years and the only difference between 2011 and 2012 was a tick of a second more time to get to the QB on a few pass rushes over the course of a season that led to 4 or 5 pressures becoming sacks. He has always been great against the run and a very solid pass rusher based on pressures per pass rush attenpted.

And I am sure you will continue to ignore it despite the best and the brightest disagreeing with you

Sig courtesy of mack.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Pair of DE's under 265 doesn't instill a great deal of confidence in me.

Got Peyton a ring. (yeah Freeney is listed at 268 these days, but Mathis is 245, Spencer and Ware out total them).

Peyton got his ring, because he's Peyton...add in a sprickle of Bob Sanders all-world season and attitude, and the rest fell into place.

Actually, Peyton was miserable in the playoffs that year-- and the worst rated QB in that entire playoff, with 3 TDs and 6 INTs in 4 games.

It's almost as if there were other guys on the field, isn't it?
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention he lucked into facing Grossman in the Super Bowl

Sig courtesy of mack.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to qualify, Manning wasn't the lowest ranked passer... My list cut off at the bottom. There were 4 QBs in that playoff rated lower than Manning. Grossman, however, was not one of them, which says a lot about how badly he played.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Bill Jones ‏@cbsdollarbill
Quote:

Stephen Jones says Monte Kiffin/Rod Marinelli came to them, after reviewing 2012 coaches film, & asked, "any way we can keep this guy?"

So one of the best DL coaches in the league agrees with me and disagrees with Slam and Plan?

Hmmm...

Notice this was allegedly said after watching 2012 film. Spencer played like a beast at times in 2012... especially toward the end of the year. i don't think Plan9 or I were critical of Spencer in 2012. It's just unfortunate that it took a contract year with a franchise tag for him to pull his head out. If they would have watched the 2010 film on Spencer, I'm very confident their response would have been "cut the BASTARD."

I was critical of Spencer in 2012 for waiting for a contract year to have a great season. He lazily played through his entire contract until the point where he's looking for a new deal.

And as I have pointed out many tines and you continue to ignore, Spencer has played at a high level for 3 out 4 years and the only difference between 2011 and 2012 was a tick of a second more time to get to the QB on a few pass rushes over the course of a season that led to 4 or 5 pressures becoming sacks. He has always been great against the run and a very solid pass rusher based on pressures per pass rush attenpted.

And I am sure you will continue to ignore it despite the best and the brightest disagreeing with you

You and I have very different opinions on the word "great", MH. My definition actually has standards and requires a guy to perform, not almost perform.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
My definition actually requires a guy to perform, not almost perform.

There is a joke somewhere in there...

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012: 11 Sacks (3rd), 14 TFLs (3rd), 13 QBH (7th), 2 FF (T-2nd)
2011: 5 Sacks (6th), 12 TFLs (2nd), 15 QBH (5th), 4 FF (T-1st)
2009: 7 Sacks (5th), 13 TFL (3rd), 22 QBH (1st), 2 FF (T-3rd)

That's his ranking at his position - he's top 5 in almost every single category, and leads a couple.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

That's his ranking at his position - he's top 5 in almost every single category, and leads a couple.

Eih, how many 3-4 teams were there? And are you counting him as just a SOLB or as an OLB?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
textaz03

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumerville just signed with the Ravens and his early financials are leaking out. This could be a decent start for negotiations for Spencer.

Adam Schefter of ESPN has reported that the contract is worth “up to” $35 million on a 5 year deal. And while we have no reason to dispute that, the contract has a base value of $26 million, per a source with knowledge of the deal.

Dumervil will, as others have reported, earn $8.5 million in 2013, with a cap number of only $2.5 million. This means that, at some point, the Ravens will carry an extra $6 million on future salary cap(s) under Dumervil’s name.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
cowboyschill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Think people tend to gauge Spencer's value by focusing on the initiating pressure aspects which are just part of the picture if you're a SAM OLB in Ryan's 3-4. Include TFL and FF and you get a more complete picture of the ways in which Spencer contributed last year.

In Ryan's 3-4, a SAM OLB's main focus is stopping the run, as well as covering the TE and dropping back into coverage. He doesn't get as many pass-rush opportunities as the rush-OLB does because he's busy with those additional responsibilities. Spencer racked up the sacks but it wasn't his primary focus. To get a more complete estimation of his value, you should ask how he also comported himself performing his myriad of other duties, and the answer is with aplomb. He was an all-around guy.

This is why I find it bizarre people and the media whining about how Spencer under the franchise tag is making more than guys like Bennett and Avril and Dumervil. It'll be a moot issue anyway once Spencer gets his extension, but in the meantime he's a much more complete player than those guys, and he'll be taking on more responsibilities. Avril will be at RDE and Dumervil will be at the elephant for BAL so both will naturally rack up more sacks because their primary responsibilities will be rushing the passer. Spencer'll on the other hand will be playing LDE where rushing the passer is but one aspect of the position and there's a similar amount of emphasis on gap control and stopping the run etc. In other words, he'll have virtually the same wider scope of responsibilities he had as the SAM last year which means it won't be just about sacks for him again this year unlike with Avril and Dumervil etc.

You're comparing apples and oranges when you try to determine the value of Dumervil/Avril vs. Spencer. Can't do it based on just sacks and pressures. The media comparing players with a narrow set of responsibilities to those with a wider set just doesn't fly. Spencer is not just taking on more duties, he's competent or better at a wider range of duties.
atran35

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Spencer but if we can go younger I would trade him for a 2nd round draft pick. Perhaps we can offer this to a contender like Denver.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: