Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys place franchise tag on Anthony Spencer
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Cowboys place franchise tag on Anthony Spencer Reply with quote

Quote:
Dallas Cowboys will franchise tag Anthony Spencer.

http://twitter.com/JordanWoy/statuses/308649790948909056

The Cowboys made a lot of effort with re-structuring and releases to create room in order to be able to tag Spencer.

Spencer will be tagged for the second year in a row and is coming off a double digit sack season.
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for letting him walk. We'll be overpaying him in no time. Confused

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Woy (his agent) says they're working on a long term deal so this is likely just temporary

Is it an "Exclusive" Franchise Tag or are we going to let him walk if we get 2 first round picks?

I think it's a good move, though I'm one of the few. Spencer has consistently produced at a very strong level (Top 5 SOLB) and is fantastic vs the run - this allows us to not reach on a DE or trade up for one and we can focus on the OL, DL, SAM, etc.

Sig courtesy of mack.
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We better work out a long term deal or trade him. $10m+ for Almost Anthony is ridiculous.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Kiffin saw something in Spencer that he liked?

Trying to shed some positive light on this move. I am very unhappy right now. Really don't want to give a long term contract to a guy who is 29 years old unless he is a perennial pro-bowler.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Kiltman^^
Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Trying to shed some positive light on this move. I am very unhappy right now. Really don't want to give a long term contract to a guy who is 29 years old unless he is a perennial pro-bowler.

It'll likely be a 3yr deal that looks like a 5 or 6 year deal. After 3 years we cut him barring phenomenal play and eat the $4m cap hit from pro-rated signing bonus which is pretty standard for 90% of the teams out there.

Sig courtesy of mack.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Spencer fan, and this is ridiculous. The main reason I was comfortable with moving to the 4-3 was because I assumed it would ease the loss of Spencer. Instead, they keep a guy (and probably overpay him long term) that doesn't fit the scheme and ensure that they can't do anything else in free agency. Wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
I'm a Spencer fan, and this is ridiculous. The main reason I was comfortable with moving to the 4-3 was because I assumed it would ease the loss of Spencer. Instead, they keep a guy (and probably overpay him long term) that doesn't fit the scheme and ensure that they can't do anything else in free agency. Wonderful.

Can you elaborate on why Spencer doesn't fit as a SDE in a 4-man front when he's done it for the majority of his entire career?

Sig courtesy of mack.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what wizardhawk said.
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:

Best. Response. Ever.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

Can you elaborate on why Spencer doesn't fit as a SDE in a 4-man front when he's done it for the majority of his entire career?

Has he? Always got the vibe that his best asset as a run defender was his ability to set the edge from a 2-point stance. Even when they ran 4 man fronts, they often had he and Ware standing up, which works as a situational defense but seems pretty silly as a base. Setting the edge from a 3 point stance isn't drastically different I suppose but nonetheless not the best use of his talents. I don't know that Spencer's worth $10M period, much less out of position.

Also, I thought we were imitating Seattle's defense. Is Spencer supposed to be our version of Red Bryant? And are we paying $10M a year for our version of Red Bryant?

Above all else, I thought we were switching to the 4-3 so that losing Spencer would hurt less. Instead, they use what limited assets they have to keep him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

Has he? Always got the vibe that his best asset as a run defender was his ability to set the edge from a 2-point stance. Even when they ran 4 man fronts, they often had he and Ware standing up, which works as a situational defense but seems pretty silly as a base. Setting the edge from a 3 point stance isn't drastically different I suppose but nonetheless not the best use of his talents. I don't know that Spencer's worth $10M period, much less out of position.

Also, I thought we were imitating Seattle's defense. Is Spencer supposed to be our version of Red Bryant? And are we paying $10M a year for our version of Red Bryant?

Above all else, I thought we were switching to the 4-3 so that losing Spencer would hurt less. Instead, they use what limited assets they have to keep him.

He's not going to get $10m/yr and is likely a 6yr 40m signing IMO. He also spends most of his Nickel/Dime snaps with his hand on teh ground while Ware does both stances in those situations.

Sig courtesy of mack.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

It'll likely be a 3yr deal that looks like a 5 or 6 year deal. After 3 years we cut him barring phenomenal play and eat the $4m cap hit from pro-rated signing bonus which is pretty standard for 90% of the teams out there.

I smell a 4-5/yr deal worth $40-50M coming...

^^Kiltman^^
Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

I smell a 4-5/yr deal worth $40-50M coming...

I think 5yr 40m is more likely than 4yr 40m. Brooks got 6yr 37m last year but I guess it's possible he goes after Woodley money though unlikely.

Even if he did, it's likely the last 2 years would be high salary with no guaranteed money and turn into a 3yr deal worth $15m

Sig courtesy of mack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: