Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Apollo's Prospects 2013 Edition (4 more prospects)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apollo14000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Apollo's Prospects 2013 Edition (4 more prospects) Reply with quote

Ok guys here are a few of the prospects in this year’s draft that I’m very high on and can be had in the 2nd day or later. Most of them are guys that haven’t gotten a lot of attention at this point. I put a lot more time into each player than in previous editions because I wanted a more detailed report so I don’t have as many prospects as usual. Some of my comparisons are a little lofty. I’m not suggesting that these guys will necessarily be future hall of famers, just pointing out the similarities in their style of play so you can get an image of what type of players they are. Also the “projected round” is where I think we can get them at the latest, not where there talent says they should go.

Let me know if you have any questions or need me to clarify something. Also I’ve poured over a lot of tape of a lot of other players so if you have any questions about some other player not listed, I’ll give you what evaluation I can if I’ve seen him play.

Previous prospects include: Daryl Washington, Rob Housler, Sam Acho, Russell Wilson, Mike Williams (Bucs WR), Sean Lee, Demaryius Thomas, Casey Heyward, Lavonte David, Colin McCarthy, Mitchell Schwartz, Kam Chancellor, Derek Wolfe, Brandon Brooks, Miles Burris, Tony Moeaki, Jamar Chaney, Greg McElroy, Henry Hynoski

*denotes Junior

Kyle Juszczcyk/Harvard/H-Back
6'1" 248lbs
NFL Comparison: James Casey/Eagles and Delanie Walker/Titans
Projected Round: 6-7

Why I want him on our team: Last name is pronounced "USE-check." Without knowing exactly what kind of TE Arians would look for to compliment Housler, I want to give Juszczcyk some attention. He was a very productive receiver for Harvard and was basically a swiss-army knife type of player. He would line up as a FB, H-Back, inline TE, and at slot WR. He also has good athleticism to be a match up nightmare. He's a 4.7-4.75 guy and had 24 reps on the bench. He also showed surprising explosiveness (37" vertical and a 10' 1" broad jump) and agility and acceleration at his pro day (4.19 short shuttle and a 6.93 three cone drill). He's a savvy route runner, gets off the line quickly and shows reliable hands in traffic. He's also a very tough player and has the effort and pop to be a great blocker. In short, I think he can basically bring what Sherman brings to our team but he's also a well developed receiver with a lot of versatility. I think he has the skill set to be a good ST player as well. The problem with Juszczcyk is that he played weak competition. But I watched his Senior Bowl tape and he definitely held his own as a blocker. Unfortunately, he was lined up at FB the whole time.

Uzoma Nwachukwu/Texas A&M/WR
6'0" 194lbs
NFL Comparison: Pierre Garcon/Redskins and Devery Henderson/Saints

Why I want him on our team: Name pronounced "U-Zo-ma" "WA-CHA-KU." He began his college career with a great freshman season, catching 40 passes for 708 yards (17.7 avg) and 6 TDs. Nwachukwu has failed to top those numbers though in his remaining college years. Part of this has to do with competing with other highly talented guys (Ryan Swope, Jeff Fuller, Mike Evans, etc) and the rest is because he is a very raw receiver. He struggles to disengage from press coverage and his hands are inconsistent and you have to question his inconsistent production since he has played with talented QBs (Jerrod Johnson, Tannehill, and Manziel). With that said, Arians is a guy that likes to throw deep and Nwachukwu is an explosive athlete. He's a 4.4-4.45 guy who has great explosiveness (39.5 vertical and 10'10" broad jump) and all around athleticism (25 reps, 4.21 shuttle, 6.77 cone, 11.28 long shuttle). Despite being raw, he's a solid route runner, an effective blocker, and also has the skill set to contribute on ST. I think Nwachukwu has the potential to be a solid #4 receiver who would give our receiver core a speed boost and a guy who can stretch the defense with the fly route.

Quanterus Smith/Western Kentucky/OLB
6'4" 253lbs
NFL Comparison: Cameron Wake/Dolphins
Projected Round: 3-4

Why I want him on our team: Smith exploded onto the scene in 2012 racking up 12.5 sacks (despite missing 4 games) at a rate of 1.25 per game before tearing his ACL late in the year. Because the injury occurred late in the year, it begs the question of whether Smith will even be able to contribute in 2013. Even if he could, he has flaws. He’s a small school guy who doesn’t seal the edge vs the run very well. Despite all that, Smith (barring injury) is a serious pass rushing talent. He has the ability to take over games. In 2012, he racked up 3 sacks against Alabama, 3.5 against Arkansas State, and 5 against Florida International. At times, he is virtually unblockable. He has good size and length to play OLB and has the burst and flexibility to run an arc to the QB. His closing speed is very good and he wraps up the QB well. He has a great speed rush and utilizes a very good arm-over swim move. He’s a high motor player who has improved greatly over his college career.

Lerentee McCray/Florida/OLB
6'2" 250lbs
NFL Comparison: Antwan Barnes/Jets

Why I want him on our team: McCray was never really productive over his Florida career, partly due to injuries, but I’ve seen flashes of what he could be in 2012. He played very well against Luke Joeckel and Jake Mathews in the Texas A&M game this year. It was the only time I actually remember seeing Joeckel struggle in 2012. I think his athletic skill set and high motor could translate to the NFL. He is recovering from an injury so he couldn’t workout yet but he looks like a 4.65-4.7 guy who is flexible enough to bend around the corner. He also does well to convert speed to power and has very powerful hands which Joeckel struggled with. He also physical and tough and even if he’s not a starter down the road, I think he’d be good value late in the day that will bring it every practice. The downside to McCray is that he plays with poor technique and doesn’t have much in terms of pass rush moves. He seems like a guy that plays with speed and power but that is it. Basically what I see in McCray is a guy with good physical tools that has his head on right and plays hard which should help our coaches develop him easier. In the mean time, I think he could be a ST asset.

Joseph Randle/RB/Oklahoma State*
6’0” 204lbs
NFL Comparison: DeMarco Murray/Cowboys
Projected Round: 2-4
• Best pass blocking RB in the draft- a willing and fearless blocker, recognizes blitzers quickly and will stand his ground and deliver a pop or cut block them
• A good, not great athlete, can break off big runs and won’t get caught from behind by most defenders
• A good north/south, cutting runner, shows very good acceleration out of his cuts
• A balanced runner, doesn’t juke himself out of his shoes, rarely stumbles or slips, doesn’t go down on soft contact
• A tough RB, runs a lot bigger than his size would suggest, will lower his shoulder and pick up a few more yards
• Very patient, allows his blocks to develop but also doesn’t dance behind the line
• Has continued to pack on good weight over the past year, gained 12 pounds from the 192 he was listed at
• Proven to be durable despite his size and running style
• An effective receiver, soft reliable hands, doesn’t turn his eyes upfield until he has full control of the ball
• Extremely productive over last 2 years as a starter- 482 carries, 2633 yards (5.5YPC), 38 TDs, and 61 receptions for 490 yards and 2 TDs

• Lean frame combined with an upright running style makes you wonder how well he’ll hold up in the NFL
• Fumbling issues, had a bad stretch from the end of 2011 to the beginning of 2012 (5 fumbles in 6 games), didn’t have any fumbles in the first 22 games of his college career
• Ran mostly from a shotgun formation with a lot of draws, will have to adjust to other running schemes
• Doesn’t show much variety in terms of moves, open field moves limited to quick cuts, not a big problem though
• Ran through a lot of big holes in OKST’s offense which leads to questions about how good his vision really is

Why I want him on our team: What does Arians require that his running backs do well? Run and protect the QB. He wants 3-down backs and Randle can be exactly that. Randle is a Demarco Murray clone except Randle doesn’t have the extensive injury list that Murray had in college which has hurt him in the NFL as well. Both played in the same college conference in similar spread offenses, have the same lean build, good speed and upright powerful running style, are capable receivers and blockers, but had fumbling issues in college. I think if Randle can muscle up to 215 (which I think he can) his size shouldn’t be an issue. The fact that Randle’s fumbling issues can been pinpointed to one bad stretch tells me he just got into the bad habit of not covering up the football. That is a learned behavior, and as frustrating as our backs have been with fumbling over the past 4-5 years, I always think fumbling issues can be fixed.

Le’Veon Bell/RB/Michigan State*
6’1” 230lbs
NFL Comparison: Steven Jackson
Projected Round: 2-4
• Great size, not high cut like a lot of big RBs, he’s built thick in the lower and upper body
• The biggest RB at the combine (both in height and weight), yet he was 15th out of 27 tested in the 40 with time of 4.6, 11th out of 27 in the 10 yard split, 10th out of 21 in the shuttle, and 3rd out of 20 in the cone drill which is an indicator of his athletic ability. Also killed Knile Davis’s shuttle and cone times who I might add is a Beanie Wells clone
• Shockingly nimble for a RB his size, he can bounce it outside and make you miss
• Runs with a good mix of power and finesse, lots of moves in his arsenal (spin, hurdle, stiff arm)
• Very instinctive runner in terms of using his moves to break tackles, there’s no hesitation
• Holds the ball high and tight and doesn’t fumble the football- I can’t find his exact numbers but he didn’t fumble once in the 8-9 games I’ve watched
• Always falling forward for extra yards, rarely gets caught behind the LOS
• Ran for 1800+ yards in 2012 and half of that was yards after contact
• A solid pass blocker, can cut block and stand an opponent up, and does well to throw a shoulder into a DE before running his route
• Very experienced setting up screens and catching the ball out of the back field

• Lacks straight line speed to break big runs, longest run last year was 40 yards
• Had some bad drops as a receiver in 2012 (Iowa game)
• Sometimes misses the open lane
• Pass blocking awareness could improve, sometimes recognizes pass rushers too late
• Had 384 carries last year which is a lot of tread on the tires- However, his combined carries the 2 season prior are about half that

Why I want him on our team: I feel like I’ve been touting this guy since September. Bucky Brooks is another huge fan of his. Bell is a workhouse back in the mold of Steven Jackson. He does everything well and runs with an impressive combination of agility and power. He doesn’t have the long speed that Jackson had coming out of college but the slower yet still productive Jackson in his recent years is a good comparison. I think he would make a great 1-2 punch with Ryan Williams that we were supposed to have with Beanie Wells. Bell has proven he can stay healthy over his college career which is a big plus. He also doesn’t fumble the ball. He won’t rack up big plays but he’ll keep the chains moving. Arians may like his big splash plays but he also emphasizes situation football including 3rd downs and Bell can catch, block, and convert short yardage situations. He would be a big asset in a situation we annually have trouble with.

D.J. Harper/RB/Boise State
5’9” 211 lbs
NFL Comparison: Doug Martin/Buccaneers
• Thick build, good enough size
• Great vision, waits for his blocks to develop and anticipates holes opening up
• Very decisive, cutting runner, sees a hole and bursts through it full speed (Best quality)
• Good not great speed, but he reaches full speed a lot, seems to have recovered from his injuries
• Doesn’t dance, he doesn’t make 3-4 cuts per run like some, he’s a no nonsense runner
• Good hands, put up decent receiving numbers the last 2 years (42 rec, 303 yds, 2 TDs)
• Strong, runs through arms tackles and keeps his feet churning.
• Solid elusiveness, has a nice spin move, but overall that’s not his game
• Was proclaimed the starting RB over Doug Martin before injuries took their tole

• Older prospect- he’ll be 24 by the early part of next season, also is he good because he has 2+ years on everyone else??
• Questionable level of completion- did poorly against Michigan St. and decent against BYU, the only good defenses he faced last year
• Not asked to block a lot but he didn’t do well when he tried, not enough effort, and just lacking in technique
• Slips when making some cuts- could be because he played on blue turf field
• He’ll pick up 20 yard gains but doesn’t have breakaway speed, he’s a 4.5 guy
• Injury history is a big red flag- tore left ACL in 2009 AND 2010, completely healthy the past 2 years

Why I want him on our team: First off, I have to give credit to Boise&Cards fan for putting this guy on my radar with his latest mock. I questioned the pick at the time. I watched several of his games recently and came away impressed. He plays a lot like his former teammate Doug Martin. He’s a decisive runner with good instincts and burst. His age and injury history is a concern but if healthy, I think he could play a role right away. As a late pick only or even undrafted pick up, I wouldn't mind giving this guy a shot.

Travis Kelce/TE/Cincinnati
6’5” 254lbs
NFL Comparison: Rob Gronkowski/Patriots
Projected Round: 2-3
• Great size and strength
• Good athlete, I’d estimate his 40 would be around 4.65-4.7
• Top-notch effort as a blocker, not just a positional blocker, he can wash guys out of the play
• Has a strong punch, and hands shoot up to opponent’s chest when blocking
• Has proven he has plenty of speed to be a vertical threat, can outrun defenders (receptions of 78 and 83 yards last year),
• Very effective at getting open on the stop and go route, he sells it well
• Aware blocker who switches off blocks to find new ones
• Versatile receiver- has played in the slot WR, inline, and H-back
• Good hands, extends for the catch, doesn’t body catch

• Blocking technique could use some work- could be a positive meaning there’s still room to improve
• Was a QB until junior season still learning the nuances of the TE position like adjusting route once the play breaks down
• Doesn’t run crisp routes, needs to get in and out of his breaks quicker
• Torn abdominal muscle prior to Senior Bowl, missed Senior Bowl and combine, should still make pro day
• Character concerns- suspended for entire 2010 season for undisclosed violation of team rules which will need looking into

Why I want him on our team: I like Kelce for several reasons. I think he fits what Arians wants to do offensively. I don’t consider him a replacement for Housler but the 2nd half of a good TE combination. Kelce is a strong inline blocker, can stretch the seam, and can be moved around the field which Arians likes to do with his TEs. I’d consider drafting Kelce a huge improvement in our blocking game. Gronk may seem like high praise but Kelce has a similar physical game, attitude, and ceiling. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him go ahead of Eifert or Ertz.

Hugh Thornton/OG/Illinois
6’3” 320lbs
NFL Comparison: Mike Iupati/49ers
• Great size for a guard, thick frame, big enough arms (34”) and hands (10”)
• Very athletic for a guard, timed very well at the combine- posted 2nd best shuttle and cone times for guards, ran a solid 5.11 forty and put up 27 reps
• Versatility- started games at LG, RG, RT, and LT
• 4 year starter
• Plays with good knee bend and base
• Strong upper body and excellent hand punch
• An intimidating run blocker, very aggressive, latches onto a defender and gets a good push, very quick getting to the 2nd level
• A solid pass blocker, held up surprisingly well at LT in 2012, anchors extremely well against the bull rush
• Effective cut blocker
• Plays with a mean streak, very physical, always looking to hit/throw somebody
• Strong motor, plays through the whistle, motor didn’t run hot and cold late in games or when his team was getting wiped out- which happened a lot

• Wasn’t asked to pull much in Illinois offense
• Occasionally stops moving feet and just holds defender in place, needs to keep his legs churning otherwise he’ll overextend and get beat
• Too often lunges at defenders at the 2nd level resulting in very little push

Why I want him on our team: One thing Keim has said several times is that we need to get tougher along the offensive line. Thorton was a former state wrestling champ in Idaho and it shows on tape. He’s got the athletic ability, mean streak, and experience to develop into a good guard in the NFL. Techniques wise, he does a lot of things well that are harder to teach like a strong hand punch and good knee bend. His other flaws are easier to correct. He had a devastating childhood in which his parents got divorced, his mother and sister were murdered, and he had a abusive father. It’s a testament to his character to get to where he is now.

Patrick Lewis/C/Texas A&M
6’1” 310lbs
NFL Comparison: Jonathan Goodwin/49ers
• Very experienced- 4 year starter
• Versatile- 21 starts at guard, 25 starts at center
• Played well against high quality DTs in the SEC (Shariff Floyd & Bennie Logan)
• Good size and strength for a center, strong upper and lower body
• The leader of the Texas A&M OL
• High football IQ- can make OL calls
• Plays with good bend and overall plays with good leverage and technique
• A good athlete for his size, gets upfield on screens quickly
• Good communication with his guards, keeps his head on a swivel, knows when to slide over and help in pass protection
• Anchors well against the bull rush
• Overall, pass protection is very good
• Can put defenders on their backside as a run blocker

• Lacking a mean streak, didn’t always finish plays when Manziel got flushed out of the pocket
• Probably one of the strongest centers in this draft class but plays with too much finesse rather than power, needs to play much more physical in the run game
• Not light on his feet, lateral movement is slow and choppy
• Susceptible to not picking up the late blitz up the middle because of average lateral movement
• 2nd level blocking is poor- gets upfield quickly but rarely hits anybody

Why I want him on our team: As of now, Lewis is further along as a pass blocker than run blocker. He’s needs to play more physical in the run game. In that way, he’s a lot like Sendlein, but he also has the size and strength to develop into a powerful run blocker whereas Sendlein probably does not. Lewis is smart, experienced, and versatile. He’d be able to back up all 3 interior OL positions and push Sendlein for his job.

Michael Mauti/ILB/Penn State
6’2” 243lbs
NFL Comparison: Luke Kuechly/Panthers
Projected Rounds: Day 3
• Superior read and react skills which allows him to play faster than he is- on the Luke Kuechly level
• Thick build, measurables are all good- 6’2” 243lbs, 32.5” arms, 10.5” hands
• Reliable tackler, wraps up, doesn’t often go for the big hit
• Takes on blockers aggressively, fills lanes
• Disengages from blockers fairly well
• Rarely gets washed out of a play, always around the football
• Very good leadership- helped put devastated football program back on its feet
• High football IQ, you can tell from how he reacts, can definitely lead an NFL defense and call plays
• Came off several injury-riddled seasons and still produced big time in 2012 before another injury
• Defends short zone very well, feels the receivers in his area, and reads the QBs eyes
• ST stud- part of Penn State’s punt coverage team
• Good blood lines- father (WR) and brother (WR) both played Penn State football- father played 7 seasons in the NFL
• Effective in coverage, not the quickest but he possesses top notch awareness and reactions

• Major injury concerns- 3 torn ACLs in 5 years (2 on left ACL)
• Only a solid athlete, forced to lunge in open space to make tackles, results in some spectacular looking tackles but it’s a problem
• Injury issues could limit his athleticism even more
• Not an effective pass rusher off the end, rarely blitzed up the middle
• May not be physically ready to contribute in 2013
• Not an explosive hitter, bigger RB can fall through his tackles for a couple extra yards rather than being stopped in their tracks

Why I want him on our team: It may seem ridiculous to compare a projected day 3 pick with Luke Kuechly but that’s who I saw on tape. If Mauti was able to go injury-free for the whole 2012 season, we’d be talking about him as a 1st or 2nd round pick. His instincts are incredible, he’s a very reliable tackler, and has sneaky good athleticism like Kuechly. He’s a bonafide leader and was basically a spokesperson for the Penn State football team in 2012. He’s definitely a risk because of injuries but if he stays healthy I think he could be very good. He’s shown that he can bounce back from ACL injuries and not lose any athleticism.

Chase Thomas/OLB/Stanford
6’3” 244lbs
NFL Comparison: Shea McClellin/Bears
• Good enough size and strength for the position
• Experience as a 3-4 OLB in Stanford’s defense
• Very stout against the run, fills his gap, can seal the edge, and shed blocks to make the tackle
• Good instincts, plays a lot faster than his timed speed
• Pass rush moves are impressive, rare ability to execute a push-pull arm over move where he basically pulls the blocker towards him and then pushes himself passed with his other arm
• Has strong and quick hands to shed blocks
• High motor
• Consistent production in college (7.5 sacks, 8.5 sacks, and 7.5 sacks in 2012)

• Lacked elite pass rushing production but created a lot of hurries, perhaps an indicator that he doesn’t have the speed to get to the QB quickly enough
• Has a high floor but a lower ceiling
• Timed poorly at the combine (4.9 forty yard dash)
• Not an explosive athlete, won’t beat a tackle right off the snap
• Can get broken down in space by quicker QBs who will evade his attempted tackles
• A liability in coverage, doesn’t have the agility to stay with receivers or cover ground in zone coverage, showed at the Senior Bowl that he has a lot of work to do in this area

Why I want him on our team: While Thomas may never be a guy that racks up double digit sacks, he is a high motor, intelligent player in the mold of Sam Acho. Like Acho, I think he could pick up the playbook and contribute year 1. Thomas is much more impressive against the run than Acho which is why I compared him to McClellin instead. He’s not quite the athlete that McClellin is but they play a similar well-rounded, high motor game. What’s most impessive about Thomas is his developed pass rush moves. He doesn’t rely on a simple speed or bull rush but uses decisive and advanced moves to shed blocks. Thomas, Acho, and Schofield would make a nice group of young pass rushers.

Jonathan Cyprien/SS/Florida International
6’0” 217lbs
NFL Comparison: Morgan Burnett/Packers
Projected Round: 2-3
• Plays with controlled aggression- hits hard but wraps up too, doesn’t recklessly lead with his shoulder
• Explosive athlete, great leaper (38.5 vertical), and good overall athleticism
• Good size to hold up in run support
• Adept at reading the QB’s eyes and breaking on passes in zone coverage
• Good at recognizing when his CBs get beat and slides over to help
• Extensive experience playing in the box, almost used as an extra LB
• Effective blitzer off the edge
• Reliable and hard tackler, plants his feet and drives through the ball carrier
• Thrives on contact, will run halfway across the field to join a gang tackle
• Very good in man coverage, jams well, uses his hands to disrupt the receiver without drawing a penalty, and has the athletic ability cover most receivers
• His tape in the Senior Bowl and against Louisville (2012) had me convinced he could play against better competition

• Level of competition was relatively poor
• May not be ready to contribute right away
• Needs more experience playing a traditional deeper safety role, played in the box at least 50% of the time
• Sometimes struggles to disengage from blocks
• Needs to refine his backpedal

Why I want him on our team: I looked long and hard at this safety class trying to find a safety that can replace Adrian Wilson. I came away surprised because I found this safety class to be very overrated (IMO). It’s a given that most of them have the necessary athletic ability and the willingness to support the run. With that in mind I really only looked for 2 things when looking at all these safeties: Doesn’t miss tackles in the open field, and can cover deep and prevent the long pass. Basically, I want a safety that won’t give up big plays. Shamarko Thomas, DJ Swearinger, and Shawn Williams and others I watched just play too out of control for my liking and give up too many big plays. Cyprien plays with controlled aggression, is a reliable open field tackler, and has good instincts in coverage. Cyprien may need a year to fully adjust to the speed of the NFL but with Rashad Johnson and Wilson possibly returning, he would be fine here. In the meantime, he’d be a great ST player. In all likelihood, this guy doesn’t leave the 2nd round. He's the real deal.

Last edited by apollo14000 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20 am; edited 3 times in total
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. Some good player that would look good in Cardinal Red on a Sunday for sure.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love me some Mike Mauti.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
I love me some Mike Mauti.

He had the best instincts of any LB I watched this year. He rarely took a misstep or made a mistake. I'd love to get him on this team even if it means he's a no go in 2013. I haven't heard anything on his medical progress though. He tore his ACL at the end of last season so he might be able to return by the beginning of the season if he heals in the standard 9 months it takes to come back from that kind of injury. I'd put him on the PUP list just to be safe, kind of like we did with Schofield.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you don't mind this;

Michael Mauti vs Iowa (2012)

Not a powerful player lacks strength to his game.
Looks comfortable in coverage, keeps his feet active and head on a swivel.
Fights until the whistle on every play, finishes.
Very much a read and react player, does this well, rarely takes a false step.
Does not look like an athlete, will likely not test well.
Makes a great drop and read in zone coverage in intercept the football.
Looked comfortable catching the football, natural even.
Reads run, plugs his gap, good disciplined play, run stopped for no gain.
Driven backwards in the running game by a tight end.
Once engaged cannot get off blocks, he fights, but cannot disengage (short arms?)
Very disciplined in the running game, plays laterally to maintain gap discipline
Nicely timed blitz (A Gap), cannot finish play as QB slides away from blitz
Blitzes, shows strong rip move to beat guard, beaten to QB by teammate.
Over pursues in the ground game leaving a big hole for the running back.
Good technique in man coverage following RB on wheel route

Michael Mauti vs Illinois (2012)

Shows great instincts to diagnose a screen and make the tackle (Lined up as a slot CB)
Shows good COD and recognition skills to pick up RB leaking out after starting out on the blitz
Is very comfortable playing in coverage.
Times blitz well to make stop on QB sneak on 4th and 1.
Blows coverage trying to come downhill to stop QB before he crossed LOS.
Misses tackle on passing play, leads to extra 6-8 yards
Look comfortable lining up in multiple different areas (Slot CB, ILB, OLB, 9 Tech DE)
Does a great job in zone coverage reading the QB to make an INT and nearly take it back for 6.
Comes unblocked off the edge for a sack, shows good first step and times the snap nicely
Makes a great break on the ball in coverage to snag the INT.

My notes on Mauti.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's all good khodder. Always appreciate another person's view. It sounds like we saw a lot of the same things. Mauti definitely doesn't play with a lot of power. He doesn't hit with a lot of pop but I think the days of having that big powerful thumper are in the rear view mirror so I don't think that's a deal breaker as long as he's disciplined and aggressive (which he is).

I didn't notice him struggling to disengage much in the run game at least. He did struggle disengaging as a blitzer though which is why I noted he was ineffective in that area. He does time his blitzes well though, he just doesn't have any pass rush moves. I can understand why one might say he's good at blitzing. Those about the only disparities between our notes.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has been busy, nice write ups apollo.

I like me some Mauti as well.

Also give me some Thorton in the 4th as well, if we dont go OG earlier.

Do you have any more write ups planned?
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le'Veon Bell on this team would be terrific but I think he's a luxury since we have more pressing needs. Imagine Warmack & Bell back to back. Oh what the hell, BPA all the WAY!

The Rebuild Has Begun...
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montgomery is being mcked in 3rd round or lower across net now, do we take if there now?
apollo14000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Someone has been busy, nice write ups apollo.

I like me some Mauti as well.

Also give me some Thorton in the 4th as well, if we dont go OG earlier.

Do you have any more write ups planned?

Thanks and yeah I'll probably do a few more when I have time. I have a couple guys in mind. I'd be happy to answer any questions posters here have about players too.

Thornton in the 4th? I'd take that any day of the week. In a lot of ways that would be similar to the Bobbie Massie pick last year. great value, starter since freshman year, good size and talent, and should be able to compete year 1. I think both players have similar upsides.

As for Montgomery, I'd pass even in the 3rd. He has questions about his work ethic, he disappears in games, and he's not a good scheme fit. There's a few guys I like more in the 3rd round area than him. I'd consider him in the 4th though.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montgomery in the 3rd is ok with me.

He wouldnt be there in the 4th, NE, BAL and a heap of others would pounce on him in a flash at the end of the 3rd.

Keep them coming, I have been pondering write ups for a while, but then i realise how much effort i need to do and have a lie down instead till the feeling goes away.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Apollo - great list as every year - love to see the in-depth analysis. This guard Hugh Thornton - definitely looks like the type of guy I want to see coming into camp competing for a guard spot. Also looks like the major issues you cited - not being asked to pull much, stopping his feet, and lunging at the second level are the type of things that good instruction can deal with at the next level.

One question about him - did he have any big match-ups with NFL talent level defenders this last season, and if he did how did he fare?
apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFlyTNT wrote:
Thanks Apollo - great list as every year - love to see the in-depth analysis. This guard Hugh Thornton - definitely looks like the type of guy I want to see coming into camp competing for a guard spot. Also looks like the major issues you cited - not being asked to pull much, stopping his feet, and lunging at the second level are the type of things that good instruction can deal with at the next level.

One question about him - did he have any big match-ups with NFL talent level defenders this last season, and if he did how did he fare?

Thanks a lot. Yeah Thornton would definitely bring that edginess that we need on our OL. Like I said, he's a super talented guy physically and any flaws he has comes down to technique.

I've seen him play against Johnathan Hankins (DT Ohio State) as a guard in 2011. He gave up one bad sack but other than that he did well. He's also matched up against Kawann Short as a guard in 2010 and 2011. As a LT this year, he didn't face many guys you'd consider top pass rushers but because they were DEs he did face more speed and he handled that well enough. He had an up and down week at the senior bowl. Some very good practices and some poor ones. That's a good point that you bring up though. I may have to add that to my evaluation.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Finding-A-Back-That-Works/4619b54e-893b-4f28-b8e7-6ed3cdfb5987

Quote:
General manager Steve Keim frequently talks about his philosophy of taking a difference-maker if he is available, and that no spot is too high if a team truly feels that way about a player. Running back is no different.
But that doesn’t change what kind of player the Cards would like to have in the backfield.
“That position is different because they take a lot of shots, they take a lot of abuse, there are going to be some injuries,” Keim said. “Our mindset I think the pieces of the puzzle we want to add, I think you are looking at the bigger, more durable back to compliment some of the guys we already have on our roster we like.”

Sounds like Bell will be on there radar.
iRobot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Finding-A-Back-That-Works/4619b54e-893b-4f28-b8e7-6ed3cdfb5987

Quote:
General manager Steve Keim frequently talks about his philosophy of taking a difference-maker if he is available, and that no spot is too high if a team truly feels that way about a player. Running back is no different.
But that doesn’t change what kind of player the Cards would like to have in the backfield.
“That position is different because they take a lot of shots, they take a lot of abuse, there are going to be some injuries,” Keim said. “Our mindset I think the pieces of the puzzle we want to add, I think you are looking at the bigger, more durable back to compliment some of the guys we already have on our roster we like.”

Sounds like Bell will be on there radar.

They need someone that can churn the tough yards and will compliment the shifty nature of Williams. Durability, after the Beanie years, has to be a desire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: