Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best case scenario Mock
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
DerekBrink wrote:
yeah a mediocre running back at 16 and a TE who can't block to save his life in Ertz

Me thinks TS does not know what best case scenario means. Hint, hint it doesn't mean we draft the guys he likes the best.

Ertz actually isnt THAT bad... Thats Eifert.

Ertz is a good blocker in my opinion. Eifert is WR/TE hybrid, so who cares how well he can block. I don't hear many Saints fans complaining about J-Graham's blocking ability.

then you disagree with nearly every analyst. I've heard multiple analysts call Ertz one of the worst blocking tight ends they've ever seen and a much worse blocker than Eifert.

I just seen no point in drafting Ertz over Eifert. If we are drafting either one it's for their pass catching abilities and Eifert is clearly the better receiver. If one was clearly a better all around tight end it would be one thing but neither is well rounded. Both are going solely on their size and pass catching potential. So why would we take the lesser athlete, with worse hands, worse route running, and who isn't natural a pass catcher(Tracking balls and going up and getting them?).
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekBrink wrote:
then you disagree with nearly every analyst. I've heard multiple analysts call Ertz one of the worst blocking tight ends they've ever seen and a much worse blocker than Eifert.
Nore sure who you are refering to, but Ertz is a much better blocker than Eifert. He's no Kendricks (one of the best blocking TEs who is still a receiving option) but he is still a good blocker, especially out in space, Eifert is just Horrid in every blocking attemt, especially when you take into account he is often blocking the Safety or CB.

Quote:
I just seen no point in drafting Ertz over Eifert. If we are drafting either one it's for their pass catching abilities and Eifert is clearly the better receiver. If one was clearly a better all around tight end it would be one thing but neither is well rounded. Both are going solely on their size and pass catching potential. So why would we take the lesser athlete, with worse hands, worse route running, and who isn't natural a pass catcher(Tracking balls and going up and getting them?).
Thats quite a biased statement to make. They are very different receivers, and each does things better than the other. Eifert is more of a sidlide receiver, who goes up and over guys to get balls, while Ertz is stronger and a more over the middle/down the seam type. While they are both 'move' TEs, Eifert is more of the new Big WR hybrid, while Ertz is the more classic TE.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekBrink wrote:

I've seen scouting reports that are down on his in-line blocking, but I haven't seen any that say anywhere near the extent of what you're claiming. Ertz isn't a good in-line (key word) blocker at the moment, but he's leaps/bounds better in space and in-line than Eifert, which should tell you something about just how bad Eifert is in this area of the game...

IDOG_det on the sig...
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
DerekBrink wrote:

I've seen scouting reports that are down on his in-line blocking, but I haven't seen any that say anywhere near the extent of what you're claiming. Ertz isn't a good in-line (key word) blocker at the moment, but he's leaps/bounds better in space and in-line than Eifert, which should tell you something about just how bad Eifert is in this area of the game...

I've seen two scouting reports state that unless you want to draft a WR do not draft Ertz as he's completely worthless as a blocker.

exact quote from one of the scouts on rotoworld

Although we believe Ertz displayed more dynamic receiving skills than the scout indicates, his basic premise aligns with our own tape study of Ertz. He's a very poor blocker. "To me, heís a big, possession wide receiver," said the scout. "Thatís what he is. You put him out there, and itís like having three wide receivers on the field. He canít block at all. He has just average speed for the position, but he does run great routes, and there is something to be said for that.

and like I said this is the 2nd scout I've seen say this(can't find the other should of bookmarked it). To me if you are drafting a TE for just receiving skills you have to take Eifert. He's just a far better receiver.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekBrink wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
DerekBrink wrote:

I've seen two scouting reports state that unless you want to draft a WR do not draft Ertz as he's completely worthless as a blocker.

Although we believe Ertz displayed more dynamic receiving skills than the scout indicates, his basic premise aligns with our own tape study of Ertz. He's a very poor blocker. "To me, heís a big, possession wide receiver," said the scout. "Thatís what he is. You put him out there, and itís like having three wide receivers on the field. He canít block at all. He has just average speed for the position, but he does run great routes, and there is something to be said for that.

and like I said this is the 2nd scout I've seen say this(can't find the other should of bookmarked it). To me if you are drafting a TE for just receiving skills you have to take Eifert. He's just a far better receiver.

Wow, that's a gross mis-statement by that scout to say he can't block at all. I've watched enough of his games to form my own opinion. That scout's statement is a perfect example of why we shouldn't just rely on scouting reports when evaluating players...

Like I said, he's not a good in-line blocker at all, no question. He needs work in this area. However, to say he can't block at all is laughable. He's actually pretty viable in space...

IDOG_det on the sig...
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
DerekBrink wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
DerekBrink wrote:

Wow, that's a gross mis-statement by that scout to say he can't block at all. I've watched enough of his games to form my own opinion. That scout's statement is a perfect example of why we shouldn't just rely on scouting reports when evaluating players...

Like I said, he's not a good in-line blocker at all, no question. He needs work in this area. However, to say he can't block at all is laughable. He's actually pretty viable in space...

This would be fine if it was one scout but like I've said I saw another scout say the exact same thing(after watching his entire season last year) and multiple other scouts have rated him as a mediocre to average blocker as well.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekBrink wrote:
This would be fine if it was one scout but like I've said I saw another scout say the exact same thing(after watching his entire season last year) and multiple other scouts have rated him as a mediocre to average blocker as well.

Like I said, if you use a blanket statement to define "blocking" than it would be correct to say that he is a mediocre to average blocker. Which is more than likely what these are pointing to. In-Line blocking is the area in which he struggles, no question about it. That is one of the main components used to grade a TE on blocking. You need to look outside of this are if you really want to gauge his overall blocking ability...

Go look at some of his tape of him in space. He locks onto guys and gets real good push. He's far from deficient...

IDOG_det on the sig...
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
DerekBrink wrote:

Like I said, if you use a blanket statement to define "blocking" than it would be correct to say that he is a mediocre to average blocker. Which is more than likely what these are pointing to. In-Line blocking is the area in which he struggles, no question about it. That is one of the main components used to grade a TE on blocking. You need to look outside of this are if you really want to gauge his overall blocking ability...

Go look at some of his tape of him in space. He locks onto guys and gets real good push. He's far from deficient...
When you actually watch, you can see that Ertz has the functional strength and natural power to block. He stays infront of guys while in line with good feet, but its technique that gets him in trouble while he is going against Lineman and Rush Backers who know how to leverage him.

But as you pointed out, when he gets out in space, with regular backers (not undersized DEs) and Safeties he locks on and has shown he can dominate. With correct technique, Ertz can be an effective inline blocker and a good in-the-box blocker.

Eifert gets into power struggles with CBs...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: