Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No CB with the first two picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No CB with the first two picks Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
WillieYoungSon wrote:
I would rather take a blue chip pass rusher or lineman at 5 than reach for a cornerback.

I got a little chuckle out of this.

Just out of curiosity, who do you see as a blue chipper in this draft?

Also, the same could be said of any position. The difference in opinions is part of what makes the draft so fun.

Jarvis Jones if he's healthy, otherwise, good point. I really like Werner as an all around DE, despite his combine numbers.

I would rather even take Chance or one of the tackles before Milliner.
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:
No team has paid more attention to the DB positions than the Giants over the past 5-7 years. Prince, Webster, Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas, and anyone I missed account for their top paid free agents, and first or second round DB picks over the past 7 years. Yet they consistently suck in pass defense.

I am aware they have won 2 SBs in that time, but not because of their DB play. The Lions keep drafting Wrs, and aside from Calvin they have shot blanks at Crog, RW, BMW, Titus, Aderrick Williams, and Broyles injury concerns lead into the draft may have followed him into the bigs.

Fisher and Warmack seem like sure things. Sure things like the Pouncey boys, Alex Mack, and any other inferior OL players the past 10 years. We need at least 3 starters on the OL over the next to years.

I agree with your assessment of DBs in this league. I also think we need to upgrade the interior line. We have to come out of this draft with another playmaker on offense, a starting safety, a promising DE that should see time immediately (not a bench/practice squad project), and a starter on the OL. This means Mayhew better hit some freaking picks...
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, short term, that drafting Milliner is a mistake. Alabama corner backs seem to need work, especially in backpedal. This combined with the possibility of missing camp makes me think he will have a disappointing season.

I would just assume trade down and grab Xavier Rhodes whom I believe would be lights out in this scheme. The bigger question is how to fix the saftey position.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
I'm not sure where Houston stands on staying with us.

If Houston doesn't re-sign we need to add someone like Milliner in the first. Even with our problems on oline, going into the season with what we have at CB and disaster at S would be a travesty.

The problem I have with that is that it leaves us with no veteran corners, Bartell notwithstanding (but he's on the roster bubble, anyway). We'd have Green (15 games), Bentley (4 games), Greenwood (0 games) and Milliner (0 games obviously). If they can't get Houston back then I think they need to sign someone who knows what they're doing at least. I just think that much inexperience is a recipe for disaster, especially because CBs usually don't click right away due to the complexity of the position. I think it might be the most difficult position to play aside from quarterback or maybe MLB.

Whiffleballtony wrote:
I think, short term, that drafting Milliner is a mistake. Alabama corner backs seem to need work, especially in backpedal. This combined with the possibility of missing camp makes me think he will have a disappointing season.

I would just assume trade down and grab Xavier Rhodes whom I believe would be lights out in this scheme. The bigger question is how to fix the saftey position.

I'm going to disagree with you on Milliner's preparedness. Nick Saban is the best coach in NCAA and his background is as a secondary coach. There's a reason his players keep getting drafted early. Since 2007 the Tide have sent 8 DBs to the NFL, 4 of which were first or second round picks. That's no accident.

Besides even if he is somewhat raw (which I think you'd be hard-pressed to find too many people to side with you on that), does it really matter how quickly he develops? I mean yeah, you'd like to see him play lights-out right away, but is he going to be the one piece that carries us from the basement to the Big Game? We can't afford to miss on the pick, but if it takes him a few years to blossom then fine.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION KING wrote:
This Organization has ignored the back end of the defense for ever its just another reason why they are one of the worse defensive units in the league they draft to many DL and WRS year after year and ignore what is needed

They're always trying to fix the wide out position or DL you would think they could actually get it done one of these years! Rolling Eyes
Yet WR isn't a need when we had a practice squad player as our #2? Confused

We have gotten 2 DTs which are our cornerstones of our defense. He have 2 ends on the roster and yet we drafted 3 DBs last year. We need a DE nearly more than anything.

Sig bet
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
LION KING wrote:
This Organization has ignored the back end of the defense for ever its just another reason why they are one of the worse defensive units in the league they draft to many DL and WRS year after year and ignore what is needed

They're always trying to fix the wide out position or DL you would think they could actually get it done one of these years! Rolling Eyes
Yet WR isn't a need when we had a practice squad player as our #2? Confused

Burleson and Broyles should be back, and Mike Thomas is still under contract, so there's that. Our WR corps doesn't look as stacked as it did this time last year, but it's not terrible either.

Quote:
We have gotten 2 DTs which are our cornerstones of our defense. He have 2 ends on the roster and yet we drafted 3 DBs last year. We need a DE nearly more than anything

DEs and safeties, really. The only safeties we have under contract are John Wendling and Tyrell Johnson. Neither of them belong on the field anywhere but special teams. They can bring Delmas back if they want, but he misses so much time and plays hurt all the time. Spievey is a RFA but I have a feeling he won't be back.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: