Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No CB with the first two picks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: No CB with the first two picks Reply with quote

I do not see anyway this organization takes a corner with either of its first two picks.

Cornerback is one of the positions I think we need the least amount of help, especially if Houston is resigned. Green and Bentley played very well for us last year considering the lack of experience and terrible safety help. Greenwood I think has a higher ceiling than both while healthy. Houston is a top 15 corner. Also, I think barring a true shut down corner - which is an extreme rarity, corner is an overrated position. This organization clearly thinks that as well, which is why we look for corners later in the draft and look for discount corners in free agency. Expect the trend to continue.

Also, Milliner is not a top 5, maybe not even a top 10 player in this draft. I would rather take a blue chip pass rusher or lineman at 5 than reach for a cornerback.

People will try to use the attempted Peterson trade as an argument. Milliner is no way near the prospect Peterson was. Ol Patrick could return kicks and punts and was/is a threat to score whenever he is on the field. He is a true gamebreaker. Milliner is a solid corner, but not a game-changing force.

Trust me, just because all the analyst have us taking Milliner at 5, does not mean it will happen. It won't. Think back to all those years they had us drafting an LT to replace Backus. Did we draft one? Nope. Not until last year when Backus was much older and his contract was almost up. They were mocking LT to us since 2004/2005.

CB not happening, any bets?
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No CB with the first two picks Reply with quote

WillieYoungSon wrote:
I would rather take a blue chip pass rusher or lineman at 5 than reach for a cornerback.

I got a little chuckle out of this.

Just out of curiosity, who do you see as a blue chipper in this draft?

Also, the same could be said of any position. The difference in opinions is part of what makes the draft so fun.
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bentley get's a lot of love because of his TC/Pre-season heroics, but he didn't play very well during the season. 17 completions given up on 20 targets. No interceptions, let alone a single pass defensed. Not to mention the 5 holding calls.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
Bentley get's a lot of love because of his TC/Pre-season heroics, but he didn't play very well during the season. 17 completions given up on 20 targets. No interceptions, let alone a single pass defensed. Not to mention the 5 holding calls.

Green > Bentley

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: No CB with the first two picks Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
WillieYoungSon wrote:
I would rather take a blue chip pass rusher or lineman at 5 than reach for a cornerback.

I got a little chuckle out of this.

Just out of curiosity, who do you see as a blue chipper in this draft?

Also, the same could be said of any position. The difference in opinions is part of what makes the draft so fun.

Well he did say pass rusher and I would call Mingo a blue chip pass rusher. As an overall DE, probably not. But he's a fantastic pass rusher.
LION KING

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Organization has ignored the back end of the defense for ever its just another reason why they are one of the worse defensive units in the league they draft to many DL and WRS year after year and ignore what is needed

They're always trying to fix the wide out position or DL you would think they could actually get it done one of these years! Rolling Eyes

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION KING wrote:
This Organization has ignored the back end of the defense for ever its just another reason why they are one of the worse defensive units in the league they draft to many DL and WRS year after year and ignore what is needed

They're always trying to fix the wide out position or DL you would think they could actually get it done one of these years! Rolling Eyes
Would you rather have Ndamukong Suh & Nick Fairley or Eric Berry & Prince Amukamara? Do Louis Delmas, Amari Speivey, Chris Houston, Dwight Bentley, Jonte Green, and Chris Greenwood not count as attempts to fix the secondary? Would you prefer Stafford or Malcolm Jenkins (the highest drafted DB that year)?

R.I.P. Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LION KING wrote:

Three corners in last year's draft is ignoring the secondary?

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
Tha Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No team has paid more attention to the DB positions than the Giants over the past 5-7 years. Prince, Webster, Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Aaron Ross, Terrell Thomas, and anyone I missed account for their top paid free agents, and first or second round DB picks over the past 7 years. Yet they consistently suck in pass defense.

I am aware they have won 2 SBs in that time, but not because of their DB play. The Lions keep drafting Wrs, and aside from Calvin they have shot blanks at Crog, RW, BMW, Titus, Aderrick Williams, and Broyles injury concerns lead into the draft may have followed him into the bigs.

Fisher and Warmack seem like sure things. Sure things like the Pouncey boys, Alex Mack, and any other inferior OL players the past 10 years. We need at least 3 starters on the OL over the next to years.
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:
Fisher and Warmack seem like sure things. Sure things like the Pouncey boys, Alex Mack, and any other inferior OL players the past 10 years. We need at least 3 starters on the OL over the next to years.
I'm hoping you meant interior. Makes a difference in the point you're trying to get across.

Besides, Warmack is on another level in comparison to any of those guys coming out of college. You have to compare him to Ndamukong to be fair.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if we took a corner in the first or second. I don't want one in the first even if Milliner is available but I don't want any more 3rd or 4th round corner projects.

Even if Houston is re-signed he isn't getting any younger and we need more than just Bentley/Green who I think did alright but aren't number #2's right now.

OL is a bigger need IMO.
LION KING

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to draft a Corner period its time to add some talent in that position if Milliner is number one Corner you draft him end of story they keep saying the hardest position to find is Corner in the NFL you can always find a DL guy there bodies everywhere.

I want a Corner this 1st round pick even if we trade back to some one else that wants Milliner and then we draft Trufant I just have a feeling this kid is going to be a Star in the NFL.

But lets see the Lions have never made smart moves in trades downs with anyone while in the top 10 since I have been alive! Rolling Eyes

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
carlande

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if we took a corner in the first or second. I don't want one in the first even if Milliner is available but I don't want any more 3rd or 4th round corner projects.

Even if Houston is re-signed he isn't getting any younger and we need more than just Bentley/Green who I think did alright but aren't number #2's right now.

OL is a bigger need IMO.

Does Houston want to re-sign? He's said some weird things but he's been a good CB. I question whether or not he'll be back considering the Lions had to wait a long time in FA just to get him for 1 year. Now that he's had 2-3 good years with the Lions I doubt teams won't show him some money.

The position has constantly been in a state of flux due to performance and injuries for as far back as I can remember. Houston and ... or ... and ...? I think the Lions should take one of the top-ranked corners.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:

OL is a bigger need IMO.

I wouldn't say I'm rooting for the team to draft Milliner, but I don't think I'd be upset about it. I think you can put him in opposite Houston and he'll be good enough from day one, and potentially very good at some point. Between Bentley and Green we have a couple of okay depth guys. I'm not super comfortable with either of them right now, but they should improve. Hopefully.

I also wonder if they'll keep Ron Bartell. He did okay in his one-game stint and he only costs $1 million, and he's the only CB other than Houston that has any real experience. He was a good CB at one point, and he's got great size. He's probably too slow to keep up with most receivers these days, though.

So I'm really not putting any bets on whether or not the team will draft a CB in the first two rounds. I think Milliner is a strong possibility, but probably not our best option. Safety is a bigger problem; it's just that there's no safety worth taking so early. Then of course there's the issue of the offensive line, where we need at least one guard and probably a tackle, too (definitely a tackle if Backus calls it quits).

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlande wrote:
YlionsY wrote:

OL is a bigger need IMO.

Does Houston want to re-sign? He's said some weird things but he's been a good CB. I question whether or not he'll be back considering the Lions had to wait a long time in FA just to get him for 1 year. Now that he's had 2-3 good years with the Lions I doubt teams won't show him some money.

The position has constantly been in a state of flux due to performance and injuries for as far back as I can remember. Houston and ... or ... and ...? I think the Lions should take one of the top-ranked corners.

I'm not sure where Houston stands on staying with us.

If Houston doesn't re-sign we need to add someone like Milliner in the first. Even with our problems on oline, going into the season with what we have at CB and disaster at S would be a travesty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: