Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alex Smith - Profootballfocus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odendin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Alex Smith - Profootballfocus Reply with quote

This isn't reassuring:

While Smith’s stats above took a major uptick starting in 2011, there were still some red flags. While his 70.2 completion percentage last season was impressive, it also showed his unwillingness to take chances and throw the ball downfield. His average depth of target of only 8 yards was the fourth-lowest of all quarterbacks and only 8.7 percent of Smith’s passes traveled 20+ yards downfield in 2012. Among quarterbacks who started at least half their games, only Christian Ponder had a lower percentage.

Smith also led the NFL in 2011 by taking 44 sacks, and was sacked 24 times in nine starts in 2012 before being replaced by Kaepernick. Smith was sacked on one third of his pressures in 2012, which led the league by a wide margin.

This screams Cassel. I hope we really don't have all the info on the Alex Smith trade - like we're trading 2nds or something - cuz this scares the bjesus outta me.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this just shows that Alex Smith isn't an elite QB or anything. He is who we thought he was. It doesn't scream Cassel though, in any way. Cassel didn't complete 70% of his passes and he turned the ball over a LOT more.
odendin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, along with his career - screams Cassel.

I'm hoping not but I live here in SF (theyre my duece) so I'm not so confident.

I don't care how we get there, I'm just looking forward to some more W's.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Alex Smith - Profootballfocus Reply with quote

odendin wrote:
This isn't reassuring:

While Smith’s stats above took a major uptick starting in 2011, there were still some red flags. While his 70.2 completion percentage last season was impressive, it also showed his unwillingness to take chances and throw the ball downfield. His average depth of target of only 8 yards was the fourth-lowest of all quarterbacks and only 8.7 percent of Smith’s passes traveled 20+ yards downfield in 2012. Among quarterbacks who started at least half their games, only Christian Ponder had a lower percentage.

Smith also led the NFL in 2011 by taking 44 sacks, and was sacked 24 times in nine starts in 2012 before being replaced by Kaepernick. Smith was sacked on one third of his pressures in 2012, which led the league by a wide margin.

This screams Cassel. I hope we really don't have all the info on the Alex Smith trade - like we're trading 2nds or something - cuz this scares the bjesus outta me.

The 49ers were horrible in pass blocking in 2011. Also consider that the 49ers don't have any deep threats but Moss and he's past his prime and mostly a decoy, plus since they usually had the lead there was rarely any reason to air it out.

No, Alex isn't the greatest long ball thrower, but that hardly matters when you average 8 ypa. Would you rather have a great deep ball thrower who averaged 6.5 ypa?

Nothing screams Cassel, neither the accuracy, ypa, eye test, decision making, pre snap reads, multiple reads, etc..

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
wilmtalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct Arrowhead- People just assume that the 40'er line was good at pass blocking because they were really good blocking for the run. A lot of Niner fans ( my self included )also assumed that it was because Alex held the ball too long and thats why his sacks were up. Well we soon found out that Kaep sure had do a lot of running around to find the time to complete his passes also. For longer passes you need the line to hold their blocks longer. Kaep is just very good at passing on the run. The main difference was that Kaeps higher velocity throws allowed him to complete passes in a smaller window. Now Alex doesn't possess that ability but then very few QB's do.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Alex is pretty good at throwing on the run.. particularly to his right. But Kaepernick's just ridiculously good at throwing on the run to either left or right. What wilm says about the arm strength and tight passing window also holds true. Alex has shown the ability to drill in short/intermediate passes in small windows.. but he often will elect to go to a higher % pass... and of course he has solid but unspectacular arm strength. Kaepernick's just a freak. Laughing

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Yeah, Alex is pretty good at throwing on the run.. particularly to his right. But Kaepernick's just ridiculously good at throwing on the run to either left or right. What wilm says about the arm strength and tight passing window also holds true. Alex has shown the ability to drill in short/intermediate passes in small windows.. but he often will elect to go to a higher % pass... and of course he has solid but unspectacular arm strength. Kaepernick's just a freak. Laughing

I thought Smith's accuracy went down drastically when he doesn't set his feet

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

I thought Smith's accuracy went down drastically when he doesn't set his feet

If rolling or running to his left, then yeah.. he can't often shift and balance his body for those throws..

To his right? He's solid. He used to roll right and spend so much time looking for someone to get open.. and then just pitch it out of bounds. Another "Alexcuse"... but a true issue... our targets were very poor at making themselves an open target when a play breaks down. He would look and look.. and no one would get open. Was really frustrating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: