Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marty Hurney might be the worst GM ever.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbegley8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Marty Hurney might be the worst GM ever..... Reply with quote

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/3/2/4043842/carolina-panthers-thinking-ahead-for-the-cap

I was just reading this and it sure does seem like Marty put our Panthers in a really bad spot for the next few years. I sure hope Dave Gettleman can fix this and I really hope the Panthers wont be stuck at 8-8 or worse for the next couple years.

Now with that being said I really hope Marty gets another GM job and I hope its with either the Falcons or the Saints. LOL.
Panthers11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap wise, he is awful.
Hell of a 1st round drafter.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Cap wise, he is awful.
Hell of a 1st round drafter.

I know it's not going to happen, however, I'd be glad for him to come back as a scout.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Hurney was that bad with the cap. He always found a way to keep our own guys. Where he screwed up was that he never picked up quality FA to will our holes.

2014 Does look bad but obviously there will be some changes. Jon Beason is either going to be restructured or on another team by that time. Same for Deangelo. I could see Godfrey and or James Anderson cut as well. Hangman will probably be gone and Gross should damn well be restructured. We'll be fine
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest to this first hand after working FFMD this year. To get under the cap I had to cut Gamble and restructure our next highest contracts, Gross and Johnson just to sign draft picks. I could have probably renegotiated more contracts, but with the way FFMD is ran only 2 can be negotiated within an offseason.

The 2 glaring problems I see is that he tied too much money up in LBs and too much money up in RBs.

Last year, they should have sent Thomas Davis packing after his 3 knee surgeries and Beason's contract should have been constructed a bit better coming off a season ending injury. They should have planned better when giving Stewart and Williams bigger contracts, then signing Mike Tolbert.

Also, let's remember that he gave Jake Delhomme 17M in free money when they signed him long term and he crapped the bed the following year which led to him being cut. Then let Peppers hold the team hostage when it was evident he was not going to resign long term with the Panthers that led to him getting nearly 20M in the span of a year.

The fact is, he was just too loyal to veterans on the team; much like John Fox was. Also, Hurney could not draft worth a crap once he got out of the 1st round; the only post 2nd rounder that we signed to a 2nd contract is Kalil. Look at all the failed draft picks; Everette Brown, Jimmy Clausen, Armanti Edwards, Dwayne Jarrett, Jeff Otah, Corey Irvin, Sione Fua.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: