Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Andre Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparky151

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vollmer will make 6.5 mil pretty easily per year, assuming he remains the starter in NE. He can make an extra 1 mil over the deal for going to the probowl but they usually take LTs for the tackle spots there. So think of his deal as 4 years/26 mil. We should be able to get Andre for not more than 7 mil and maybe less. Winston got about 5 mil and Loadholt about 6 mil this offseason.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer Smith waits, the more the other contracts being signed are going for less. he needs to get it done ASAP. These signings do nothing for his leverage in negotiations. if anything, it seems his agent put the bengals last on his list of things to do.
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
The longer Smith waits, the more the other contracts being signed are going for less. he needs to get it done ASAP. These signings do nothing for his leverage in negotiations. if anything, it seems his agent put the bengals last on his list of things to do.

Yeah i don't think this is Smith's fault. Sounds like his agent has bigger fish to fry (strange, considering Smith was supposed to be one of the top tier players).

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

Yeah i don't think this is Smith's fault. Sounds like his agent has bigger fish to fry (strange, considering Smith was supposed to be one of the top tier players).

If I were Newman and Smith, i'd be finding a new agent. One who, you know, returns your calls.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
wrminning

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the value of Smith is dropping, its around 6.5 to 7 mil a year at the most and if he waits too long the team may draft a RT and move on. I don't think the team wishes to commit to a contract that would costs them other players in the next couple years. I would sign him to a contract that would allow the team to cut him with little cost if he's not productive. His track record speaks for itself!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrminning wrote:
I would say the value of Smith is dropping, its around 6.5 to 7 mil a year at the most and if he waits too long the team may draft a RT and move on. I don't think the team wishes to commit to a contract that would costs them other players in the next couple years. I would sign him to a contract that would allow the team to cut him with little cost if he's not productive. His track record speaks for itself!

I agree that his value has dropped, but i do not agree that it's dropping. The market is set. At this point, the only way his value drops further is if he waits to do a deal until after the draft. And i think most sane people know he won't wait that long. If he's still without a deal a week or so from now, i think we'll hear about he fired his agent.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Sounds like his agent has bigger fish to fry (strange, considering Smith was supposed to be one of the top tier players).

Smith and Vollmer have the same agent. Don't see how this guy can sign-off on Vollmer @ $4.25M, and then tell Mike Brown he thinks his client is worth $9M. I'm sure Mike Brown smiled to himself wryly, when he heard of the Vollmer numbers.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
If he's still without a deal a week or so from now, i think we'll hear about he fired his agent.

Again ?!
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect a very similar deal to Volmers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
I expect a very similar deal to Volmers

I expect a deal halfway inbetween. The question is do you front load it, eat some of this years cap and save cap space in '14 and '15, or do you backload the contact so if he doesn't produce you can cut off the expensive years?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, if I am Andre, I want to knock out my agent. Since his agent set the ceiling with Jake Long, his next tactical move should have been Andre. But since he decided to finish Vollmer first, Andre is at a severe negotiating disadvantage. If I were a player, this would set off sirens for me. I'm not saying that Vollmer should have gotten more. But Dogra could have, make that SHOULD have, finished Smith's deal before announcing the Vollmer deal. He brought the market down for his own guy. What a %$%%^$^ !!!! Andre is stuck and Mikey knows it. Check mate.

Maybe now he doesn't get a million double cheeseburger vouchers. more like half a million and 100,000 large fry coupons, not vouchers. (Sorry London, your post on that subject was too good to pass on)
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
At this point, if I am Andre, I want to knock out my agent. Since his agent set the ceiling with Jake Long, his next tactical move should have been Andre. But since he decided to finish Vollmer first, Andre is at a severe negotiating disadvantage. If I were a player, this would set off sirens for me. I'm not saying that Vollmer should have gotten more. But Dogra could have, make that SHOULD have, finished Smith's deal before announcing the Vollmer deal. He brought the market down for his own guy. What a %$%%^$^ !!!! Andre is stuck and Mikey knows it. Check mate.

Maybe now he doesn't get a million double cheeseburger vouchers. more like half a million and 100,000 large fry coupons, not vouchers. (Sorry London, your post on that subject was too good to pass on)

Agree INB, I think his agent has screwed up bad, Mike Brown has all the aces, (and all the double-cheeseburger vouchers !!!).

The big question for me now is whether Andre himself is too dumb to realise that waiting around for $9M until after the draft isn't going to get him half of that.

I think the important date now is April 16th (I think), when the vets report for workouts. He ought to be telling his agent to get a deal done by then. If not MB may take the deal off the table and tell him to try some other sucker for $9M and see how far he gets.

Wonder what weight Andre's at right now ? 350+ anybody ?
sparky151

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre held out as a rookie and now has a lot more money in the bank, so he's not under any pressure to take the Bengals offer even if it's his only one. He might miss the offseason workouts but it's hard to say if he'd be broken up about it.

If he can't get a long term deal on terms he likes, and nobody else is offering what he wants, then his main option is to sign a 1 year deal and re-enter free agency next year. Obviously the Bengals would like to get him locked up longterm, but they might have to compromise on a 1 year deal.
ark23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports have come out today that Andre and the Bengals are 'not close' on a deal. It's a little worrisome to me because it'd be great to get him locked up and close up a hole on this roster but it really seems like we're his only option. While it may take some time I think he's eventually a Bengal.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of wish now we went after Jake Long and shifted Whit to RT.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: