Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3/2/13 First Mock of the Offseason. Changes are coming.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: 3/2/13 First Mock of the Offseason. Changes are coming. Reply with quote

My first mock draft of the 2013 offseason. Sorry, it won't have the flair that my previous mock drafts had.

Cuts

RT David Diehl : Hasn't been good in quite a few years. Had surgery this offseason. Not worth the money
CB Corey Webster : Carrying a huge price tag going into this season, and is no longer our best corner. He got picked on quite a bit last year

Free Agents that walk

S Kenny Phillips - He never returned to dominate pre-injury form. With the emergence of Stevie Brown, and to a lesser extent, Will Hill, KP may not be worth the money.
TE Martellus Bennett - Rumor is that he's going to chase the money. Probably team up with his brother in Tampa Bay, who has a lot of cap space.
OG Kevin Boothe - I don't want to throw money at Boothe. He's solid, but I want more than solid on the offensive line.
QB David Carr - I have a brilliant plan for our new backup QB that will never see the field anyway. Rumor is that TB may be interested.
PK Lawrence Tynes - I don't like his lack of ability to kick a FG longer that 40 yards. It bit us in the butt last year in the Eagles game where he had two attempts at it. If we won that game, we would've made the playoffs...

Free Agent signings

I don't know what the market value is on these guys, but hopefully we can make it happen after cutting Deihl and Webster

CB Dominique Rogers Cromartie

If you are going to cut a starting corner, you'd better find one to fill his place. Cromartie is a long and rangy corner that is good in coverage. His cover skills will hopefully mask his lack of physicality. Hopefully that later is what makes him affordable on the open market

DT Roy Miller

Miller helped the Bucs have the #1 ranked run defense in the league last year. He's a two down run stuffer, and took on double teams to free up Gerald McCoy who went to the probowl last year. He's also still fairly young, only 26 years old. Hopefully the fact that he's not much more than a two down run stuffer makes him affordable.

RT Phil Loadholt

I liked him in the draft a few years ago. He's a massive man that can really help our running game. He was penalized quite a bit. This free agent class is full of offensive tackles, and hopefully that keeps the price tag down on Loadholt.

RB Joique Bell

Could use some receiving skills out of the backfield and some depth at RB.

QB Jamarcus Russell

What?

Draft

1. OG Jonathon Cooper - 6'2" 311 - North Carolina

I used to hold firm to the belief that offensive guards were not a high priority and should not be heavily invested in. But after seeing our running game drastically affected by the rapid decline of Chris Snee, I have changed my tune a bit. Cooper is described as just that type of player. A smart, tough guard that can pull and get to the next level. Now that we have Beatty (and Loadholt in my scenario) locked up as our OTs of the future, we need to look to upgrade the interior.

2. OLB Jamie Collins - 6'4" 250 - Southern Mississippi

With Umenyiora leaving, I think Kiwanuka slides back to the defenisve line. That leaves a void at SLB. The Giants love long athletes in the front 7, and Collins fits that to a tee. A fast riser after completely tearing up the combine in Indy. There are questions as to where he goes. Mayock has him as his #2 3-4 OLB. Walterfootball has him going in the bottom of the 3rd. We will see.

3. DT Akeem Spence - 6'1" 307 - Illinois

I'm under the impression that Marvin Austin is a bust and is on the roster only because he was a 2nd round pick. We need to bring in some competition. Spence is a bulldog type of DT. Short, stock and strong and active. Hopefully some competition creates stronger DT play for us.

4. DE Devin Taylor - 6'8" 267 - South Carolina
<--- Bonus pic. You're Welcome
Anyone that has been around this forum for a while shouldn't be surprised by this. I have a tendency to reach for physical freaks in my mock drafts. Taylor is just that. The things being said about Taylor are similar to the things that were said about Michael Johnson of the Bengals, who dropped several rounds, and just got franchise tagged. Taylor would be a nice 4rth DE for the Giants, with the potential to be much more than that. If for nothing else, those 36" arms would be good for batting down passes on third down.

5. CB Nikell Robey - 5'7" 169 - Southern Cal

In my scenario, the future is Prince, DRC and Hosley. But, we can use some depth behind that. Robey is obviously undersized, but very quick. He was a starter for USC. Wouldn't be the first small CB to play in the NFL though. Darrent Williams was a pretty good starter for Denver, and he was probably even smaller than that.

6. K Dustin Hopkins - 6'0" 130 (dripping wet) - Florida State
<--- Ignore the fact that he looks like he missed a kick.
After watching every kick of every kicking prospect in the draft, and scrutinizing every kicking motion, I've determined this guy is the best.

7. TE Joseph Fauria - 6'7" 260 - UCLA

He's a big man, that was a focal point in UCLA's offense. He put up nice stats. Not sure why he's ranked so low. Worth a flyer.

UDFA :

S Ray Ray Armstrong - 6'4" 220 - Miami <---(Will Hill 2.0)

RB Spencer Ware - 5'10" 228 - LSU

WR - Markus Davis - 6'3" 233 - VA Tech

Final Roster

QB : Eli Manning / Jamarcus Russell
RB : David Wilson / Andre Brown / Joique Bell / Spencer Ware
WR : Hakeem Nicks / Victor Cruz / Rueben Randle / Jerrel Jernigan / Domenik Hixon / Marcus Davis
FB : Henry Hynoski
TE : Adrien Robinson / Bear Pascoe / Joseph Fauria
OT : Will Beatty / Phil Loadholt / James Brewer / Matt McCants
OG : Chris Snee / Jonathon Cooper / Matt Mosley
OC : David Baas

DE : Jason Pierre Paul / Justin Tuck / Mathias Kiwanuka / Devin Taylor / Adawele Ojomo
DT : Linval Joseph / Roy Miller / Markus Kuhn / Akeem Spence / Marvin Austin
OLB : Jacquian Williams / Jamie Collins / Spencer Paysinger / Keith Rivers
MLB : Chase Blackburn / Mark Herzlich
CB : Prince Amukamara / Dominique Rodgers Cromartie / Jayron Hosely / Terrell Thomas / Nikell Robey
S : Antrel Rolle / Stevie Brown / Will Hill / Ray Ray Armstrong

PK : Dustin Hopkins
P : Steve Weatherford
LS : Zac DeOssie

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
G-Men1994

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty solid mock, I think all those guys are reachable in the draft.

Jamie Collins would fit a DE better than an OLB on a 4-3.

And I don't know the value of the free-agents, but I I think it will be hard to sign DRC.
percellovegiant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMARCUS RUSSELL???!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 3/2/13 First Mock of the Offseason. Changes are coming. Reply with quote

Like the the cuts and let walks. DRC would be a really good get for us. He has no safety help last year and the Eagles were dreadful everywhere. He can be really good opposite of Prince and we can afford to spend some money with him.

Roy Miller and Phil Loadholt are good players but I just don't think we can afford them. Next year our cap situation is just as bad if not worse and we have to resign some key free agents (Nicks, Cruz, Tuck, Linval Joseph). I think we have to go with younger/cheaper options at those positions. I think Shaun Rogers and Brewer or a swing tackle we bring in will be trusted at those positions. Might pick up a passrusher inside like Cullen Jenkins but I can't see any big money free agents.

Joique Bell is an ERFA so the Lions have to let him go before we can get him, but I like the idea. Backup QB doesn't play with Eli there so we can bring in Jared Lorenzen for all I care. Laughing

I love Cooper. Think he will be a beast and has experience and ability to play center also.

I think Collins has been under-ranked until recently. He's got a tremendous amount of potential and is better than most would expect in coverage. He would be a conversion player though and Im not sure we can afford to pick another one of those guys and have them fail.

The rest of the picks I have no problems with. Robey is really talanted for his size.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 3/2/13 First Mock of the Offseason. Changes are coming. Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
Like the the cuts and let walks. DRC would be a really good get for us. He has no safety help last year and the Eagles were dreadful everywhere. He can be really good opposite of Prince and we can afford to spend some money with him.

Roy Miller and Phil Loadholt are good players but I just don't think we can afford them. Next year our cap situation is just as bad if not worse and we have to resign some key free agents (Nicks, Cruz, Tuck, Linval Joseph). I think we have to go with younger/cheaper options at those positions. I think Shaun Rogers and Brewer or a swing tackle we bring in will be trusted at those positions. Might pick up a passrusher inside like Cullen Jenkins but I can't see any big money free agents.

Joique Bell is an ERFA so the Lions have to let him go before we can get him, but I like the idea. Backup QB doesn't play with Eli there so we can bring in Jared Lorenzen for all I care. Laughing

I love Cooper. Think he will be a beast and has experience and ability to play center also.

I think Collins has been under-ranked until recently. He's got a tremendous amount of potential and is better than most would expect in coverage. He would be a conversion player though and Im not sure we can afford to pick another one of those guys and have them fail.

The rest of the picks I have no problems with. Robey is really talanted for his size.

Yeah, I really don't know what kind of money those guys are going to get on the open market. Nobody really does. Last year some people thought Mario Manningham would get a huge contract, and Pierre Garcon would be a good cheap replacement. Laughing

Loadholt was apparently penalized a lot last year. Miller is a run stuffer in a league where the running game is becoming overlooked. So who really knows what kind of deals they are going to get.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But doing this mock draft made me realize there are going to be a lot of changes on this roster. We already lost Bradshaw, Boley and Canty. Osi and Deihl are likely gone. Phillips and Bennett probably will leave because they are going to get money elsewhere. That's 6 out of 22 starters we will need to replace this offseason!

bzane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and aggressive re-shaping of the team, via draft and free-agency.

And you get points for originality on JaMarcus.

Not to nit-pick, but did you mean Brandon Mosley as the third guard?
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzane wrote:
Interesting and aggressive re-shaping of the team, via draft and free-agency.

And you get points for originality on JaMarcus.

Not to nit-pick, but did you mean Brandon Mosley as the third guard?

Yeah, I meant Brandon Mosley. Matt Mosley was the NFCE blog writer on ESPN.com that angered our rivals by being extremely pro-NYG. Laughing

Ice_Dude_2008

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good this offseason Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the cooper pick, I think Jamie Collins is one of the most under rated players in the draft. Very good pick. Glad to see Marcus Davis in the pick ups as well for potential
Ice_Dude_2008

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESKY008 wrote:
Love the cooper pick, I think Jamie Collins is one of the most under rated players in the draft. Very good pick. Glad to see Marcus Davis in the pick ups as well for potential

Collins is going to be a stud; if we don't pick Greene, Collins is my close second.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it all ...

But Jamarcus Russell

Not a Knicks fan
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be an A+ offseason for us. Personally I think wonder about DRC's willingness to tackle but that's just nitpicking at this point. Really like the free agent signings. They're fairly realistic, and we could get some of those guys. I like Cooper a lot. I'd like to see Eli behind a really quality offensive line.

And no to Jamarcus Russell Laughing
ottawagiants10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job and I wouldn't mind some of those guys but I don't see DRC on the Giants. He gives less effort playing the run then Mike Jenkins does for the Cowgirls and that's saying something. He just does't seem like a player this organization has traditionally brought in. Personally I would love to see his speed in the back end as it is something we have been missing for years.

On Devin Taylor- I like him as a mid-round prospect but his game is nothing like Michael Johnson's. Johnson was a pass-rusher only coming out. He was lightning fast but the knock on him is they thought he took too many plays off and he gave up once blockers got their hands on him. He was also a liability against the run. Taylor doesn't have the quick twitch ability that Johnson has and most likely will never become a pass rusher. His strengths are playing the run, taking up a blocker and getting his arms up in passing/kicking lanes.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Investing financially in the backup Quarterback position will never be JRs route. Eli has shown tremendous toughness. If he goes down, it won't be with something minor. He's not like a Tony Romo- where having a guy that can keep the ship sailing is necessary for 2-3 games per year. That being said, Eli has been complementary of David Carr's assistance during the week or preparation in the Quarterback Room.

I consider Josh Johnson a potential target on a Veterans Minimum type deal. Perfect guy to provide scout team looks of Michael Vick & RGIII, and comes at a reasonable price.

Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie will be 27 in 2013 and will command a lucrative deal on the open market. I think more affordable options include William Middleton & Mike Jenkins. Paying top dollar for a CB this offseason isn't logical given the glut of talent set to be UFAs.

Cary Williams (2Cool Baltimore
Keenan Lewis (27) Pittsburgh
Sean Smith (26) Miami
Brent Grimes (30) Atlanta
Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie (27) Philadelphia
Derek Cox (26) Jacksonville
Chris Houston (2Cool Detroit
Tracy Porter (27) Denver
Captain Munnerlyn (25) Carolina
Aqib Talib (27) New England
Antoine Cason (27) San Diego
Adam Jones (29) Cincinnati
Mike Jenkins (27) Dallas
Brice McCain (26) Houston
Bradley Fletcher (27) St. Louis
Leodis McKelvin (2Cool Buffalo
Kyle Arrington (27) New England

Roy Miller is a good signing, an undervalued run stopper at just 26. I like that move. Other guys I'd consider are Pat Sims, Terrance Knighton, Sammie Lee Hill. Giants have already had preliminary meetings with Cullen Jenkins, so it's evident they'll address their void via the FA process.

Phil Loadholt is going to get paid & he has lapses in concentration. Two guys I consider more logical are Jermon Bushrod & Gosder Cherlius.

I feel you reach for Jamie Collins who despite a tremendous combine is more ideally suited for a 3-4 scheme.

Unfortunately, Corey Webster will be back for the last year of his contract.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: