Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 PRO DAY THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanchez issue is more mental than physical. We all have seen him perform well in big games before. I've been saying this for the longest, but he is being crushed by his own lack of confidence. You can really tell when a defense takes away his first target and he actually has to scan the field.

I think EJ can become the manager type with the right talent around him. I don't see him reaching Cam's level.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/star-lotulelei-dominates-utah-pro-day-may-regain-191224171--nfl.html

Star could be ours at 9th?
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietjetsket wrote:

Sanchez has outstanding work ethic. His game skill sucks. Manuel may edge him because he can move the chain with his legs. Big problem on Manuel is he does not stick to play or adjust plays for better opportunity during football action. He has tendency to cancel a play out too quick without a good contingency plan.

It is uncertain that Manuel is able to loosen up on the field so drafting him that high is terrible idea. If Jets fail to polish Sanchez up then I don't see how Jets can shape up Manuel.

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. Sanchezs problem is that he can't read a defense, can't adjust a play at the line and can't go through his progressions. No pocket presence, no awareness.

Manuel seems to be able to go through his progressions fairly well. He's not a "one read and run" QB at all.

Now, I don't think he's worth the #9, but I certainly think he's a coachable player who has a quick release and has shown he can scan the field.

- Cliff Burton
KBS756

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:
quietjetsket wrote:

Sanchez has outstanding work ethic. His game skill sucks. Manuel may edge him because he can move the chain with his legs. Big problem on Manuel is he does not stick to play or adjust plays for better opportunity during football action. He has tendency to cancel a play out too quick without a good contingency plan.

It is uncertain that Manuel is able to loosen up on the field so drafting him that high is terrible idea. If Jets fail to polish Sanchez up then I don't see how Jets can shape up Manuel.

I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. Sanchezs problem is that he can't read a defense, can't adjust a play at the line and can't go through his progressions. No pocket presence, no awareness.

Manuel seems to be able to go through his progressions fairly well. He's not a "one read and run" QB at all.

Now, I don't think he's worth the #9, but I certainly think he's a coachable player who has a quick release and has shown he can scan the field.

Sanchez did show us he could play a couple times in the playoffs but I dont think he has the mental makeup to pull himself back together especially not in NYC... His confidence is shattered and that has destroyed the game ability he did have.

Now when it comes to EJ Manuel I think a lot of people look at him and think he is going to be drafted because of the read option in the NFL, but I honestly think he will be an above average passer if coached up right. And as mentioned before ... we did fail horribly with Sanchez's development stunting it with constantly losing talent and changing elements, but the people responsible OC's and GM are gone now.

Marty did a pretty good job in Philly with developing QBs so I dont see why he cannot here. Also we have a new GM who I hope will be able to keep our team talent level reasonably high once we retool this season.

If you watch Manuel's tape he's been quite up and down, but he does not seem lost when he has to read more than one throw he can do progressions, he's also dropped back from center, and has pretty good pocket awareness. His mechanics are also reasonably good other then his deep ball which needs to be cleaned up so he can get it out there accurately.

I am not saying draft him at 9 but if we can get into the late 20s or if he falls into our 2nd round pick he's a guy I wouldnt hesitate to take a chance on.

Hard Worker - All reports point to great work ethic
High Character
Intelligent
Prototypical NFL Height and Build
Above average mobility
Strong Arm
Played in a Pro Style offense in college (I heard tons of this when Christian Ponder was drafted and EJ played in the same offense so it applies)
Statistically accurate (While stats dont tell the whole story you dont complete 68% of your passes by having horrible accuracy especially when most if not all of your receivers will not play on Sundays)

Honestly if you were to ask for qualities you want in a QB EJ has most of them and for once we may have the right people in place to develop a QB. Unless we think we can land Kolb and have him perform at a high level, or that Sanchez will suddenly become the Sanchez from the playoffs 90% of the time we need a long term solution at QB.

I think the Jets are keeping it low when looking at QBs because they dont want to have someone steal the guy they are high on, but I would be willing to bed we have some at least 2 QBs if not 3 we're seriously looking at. Also if there was any truth to what Rex said this year about wanting an unpredictable attacking offense that comment also lends itself to a QB who has some ability to make some plays with his legs. I dont need a QB to run for 800 yards, but being able to keep the defense honest with that plays a role on how you can attack a defense + when the opportunity is there you will have a guy who can make the play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: