Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears cap talk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Bears cap talk Reply with quote

Here's a thread where we can track exactly where we are at.

W/ Melton being franchised the Bears currently have $4.5M in cap space available.

Here's an article on some things to expect to see the Bears clear more cap space over the next week

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/18545685-606/bears-have-several-ways-they-can-create-salary-cap-room.html

Quote:
Another option many teams are employing is asking veterans to take pay cuts or threatening them with their release. Bears with relatively high salaries include tight end Kellen Davis ($2.5 million in cap savings), receiver Devin Hester ($2.4 million), receiver Earl Bennett ($2.35 million) and tight end Matt Spaeth ($1.6 million).

And a link to a list of the Bears 2013 Cap Hits as of 2/28/2013

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap-hit/

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would cut everyone on the list except for Bennett, this offense needs 3-4 WRs that can play ball and 2 million for him is cheap especially considering our #2 guy is on a rookie deal.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think a team like STL, NYG, or PIT would trade a day 3 pick for Hester. They were even worse than us in punt returns, and Hester has potential for real improvement. Toub might believe he can get Hester's magic back in KC as well.
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
I really think a team like STL, NYG, or PIT would trade a day 3 pick for Hester. They were even worse than us in punt returns, and Hester has potential for real improvement. Toub might believe he can get Hester's magic back in KC as well.

There's no way Pitt or probably NYG would. They both had to wrestle to get under the cap and there's no way they're paying a KR/PR close to 3 million.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:

I would be SHOCKED if another team gave up anything more than a conditional 6th or 7th rounder in 2014 for Hester. He has more value to us than anywhere else at this point.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

There's no way Pitt or probably NYG would. They both had to wrestle to get under the cap and there's no way they're paying a KR/PR close to 3 million.

Agreed. I figured the only way they would do it is if they had a rough restructure already set up before the trade was finalized.

AZBearsFan wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

I would be SHOCKED if another team gave up anything more than a conditional 6th or 7th rounder in 2014 for Hester. He has more value to us than anywhere else at this point.

Honestly I would take a 2014 third day pick for Hester if he refused to restructure. He has just been terrible the last 2 years IMO, and he clearly isn't (or wasn't when Lovie was fired) focused on football. He just lost my respect really, so I know I am biased on this.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the money with Hester that keeps him not being worth anything.

He is a 30+, declining return man that makes 2.8 million a season, no one wants that they will draft a 7th round pick that can run and pay him 300k.
Los Osos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepper's contract is a real SOB. I don't know how or why you restructure that thing. He needs to get cut if Shea makes significant strides this year.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Osos wrote:
Pepper's contract is a real SOB. I don't know how or why you restructure that thing. He needs to get cut if Shea makes significant strides this year.
That would be real foolish. For 1 if you cut him you are talking about a $10M cap hit, 2) he's still a very good player. You restructure him quite simply, you take his salary this year and next year, cut it in half and convert the other half to signing bonus. You extend him 2 years so you can spread the guaranteed bonus out over 5 years. It's not really that difficult.

Los Osos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Los Osos wrote:
That would be real foolish. For 1 if you cut him you are talking about a $10M cap hit, 2) he's still a very good player. You restructure him quite simply, you take his salary this year and next year, cut it in half and convert the other half to signing bonus. You extend him 2 years so you can spread the guaranteed bonus out over 5 years. It's not really that difficult.

I was suggesting cutting him after this year, which would bring the cap hit down to $6M. I don't think adding years helps the problem. The only thing I think makes sense is to pull the guaranteed money into 2013, add guaranteed money (~$6M) in '14 and '15 and reduce his base to around $1M to $2M/year. This way he gets an additional $12M in guaranteed money and the Bears save $6M-$8M/year.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears will hav a free agent budget, it won't be what we want if Melton is not signed long term lowering his cap number.

I think the defining question of the free agent period is do we sign 1 elite player [LT] or do we sign a couple of lower tier players?

If we have 8 million to spend where does it go?
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Osos wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Los Osos wrote:

I was suggesting cutting him after this year, which would bring the cap hit down to $6M. I don't think adding years helps the problem. The only thing I think makes sense is to pull the guaranteed money into 2013, add guaranteed money (~$6M) in '14 and '15 and reduce his base to around $1M to $2M/year. This way he gets an additional $12M in guaranteed money and the Bears save $6M-$8M/year.
Adding years definitely helps the problem. If you sign him to a 2 year ext, you can basically put any number in the salary line since it won't matter, since he'll never see it. You take the $15M I've discussed previously and you spread it out over the 5 years. You cut his # in half by doing so, and you've made cutting him after 2015 (when his current contract expires) basically null. You can't reduce his salary down to $1M this year at that would violate the CBA. If you don't extend him all you are doing is cutting $2M off his cap hit, you have to extend him to really get any value out of the restructure. The contract was designed by Cliff Stein as such that it had to be restructured this year. This wasn't a surprise to anybody. We got some very cap friendly years out of the deal.

Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
The Bears will hav a free agent budget, it won't be what we want if Melton is not signed long term lowering his cap number.

I think the defining question of the free agent period is do we sign 1 elite player [LT] or do we sign a couple of lower tier players?

I don't think there is going to be a significant decrease from the $8M cap # even w/ a longterm deal. Melton is a top 5 DT and will want to be paid as such. Maybe it goes down to $6M instead of $8M but not much below that. The cap room the Bears will have will not be dependent on signing Melton long term. It's going to require cutting dead weight, and restructuring 2 of the top 4 cap hits.

RTD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I don't think there is going to be a significant decrease from the $8M cap # even w/ a longterm deal. Melton is a top 5 DT and will want to be paid as such. Maybe it goes down to $6M instead of $8M but not much below that. The cap room the Bears will have will not be dependent on signing Melton long term. It's going to require cutting dead weight, and restructuring 2 of the top 4 cap hits.

Absolutely agree. Stein has his work cut out for him.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Even if we get it down to 5 in the first year that 3 million could be a big deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: