Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Combine/Pre FA Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Post Combine/Pre FA Mock Reply with quote

Figured I would throw together a mock before FA starts because any mock I do after FA starts wont have the FA aspect in it. This mock wont be as detailed in terms of salary info.

Restructure:

LB Stephen Tulloch
WR Calvin Johnson
QB Matt Stafford

Retire:

RB Jahvid Best

Cut:

OT Jeff Backus
QB Shaun Hill

Resign:

OL Jason Fox (tendered - 1 year)
LB Justin Durant - 2 year deal
LS Don Muhlbach - 2 year deal
K Jason Hanson - 1 year deal
CB Chris Houston - 3 year deal
DE Willie Young (tendered - 1 year)
OL Dylan Gandy - 1 year deal
DT Sammie Lee Hill - 3 year deal
DE Lawrence Jackson - 1 year deal

Sign:

RB Reggie Bush - 3 year deal
OL Andy Levitre - 4 year deal
S Chris Hope - 1 year deal
DE Turk McBride - 1 year deal
QB Drew Stanton - 1 year deal

Draft:

* Projecting a 4th and 7th round compensatory pick.

Round 1| Dee Milliner | CB, Alabama | 6'0 201

* A much needed influx of talent and size at CB. Milliner has a #1 CB ceiling.

Round 2| Arthur Brown | LB, Kansas State | 6'0 241

* An athletic sideline-to-sideline LB that can play inside, but might be best suited at WLB. Capable in coverage as well.

Round 3| Aaron Dobson | WR, Marshall | 6'3 210

* A big bodied talented WR that has the potential to develop into a #2 WR.

Round 4| Phillip Thomas | FS, Fresno State | 6'1 208

* A good, not great athlete with very good ball skills.

Round 5| Earl Wolff | SS, North Carolina State | 5'11 209

* A solid all around SS that has decent athleticism. Should immediately contribute on special teams and has potential to develop into a quality starting SS.

Round 6| David Bass | DE, Missouri Western State | 6'4 262

* A very productive DE from a division 2 school with high upside. 4 year starter with 56 career TFL and 39.5 career sacks.

Round 7| Ryan Allen | P, Louisiana Tech | 6'1 229

* 2 time Ray Guy award winner as the nation's top P.

Round 7| William Campbell | DT, Michigan | 6'5 318

* Big bodied DT with some athleticism. Struggles with consistency in his technique. High potential.

UDFA| Philip Lutzenkirchen | TE/HB, Auburn |6'3 258

* A TE/H-Back tweener who will take Will Heller's spot on the roster.

Depth Chart:

Blue = Offseason addition

QB| Matt Stafford | Drew Stanton | Kellen Moore
RB| Reggie Bush | Mikel LeShoure | Joique Bell
WR| Calvin Johnson | Aaron Dobson
WR| Nate Burleson | Ryan Broyles | Mike Thomas
TE| Brandon Pettigrew | Tony Scheffler | Philip Lutzenkirchen
LT| Riley Reiff | Jason Fox
LG| Rob Sims | Bill Nagy
C| Dominic Raiola | Dylan Gandy
RG| Andy LeVitre | Bill Nagy
RT| Jason Fox | Corey Hilliard

DE| Lawrence Jackson | Willie Young
DT| Ndamakong Suh | Sammie Lee Hill
DT| Nick Fairley | William Campbell
DE| Turk McBride | Ronnell Lewis | David Bass
OLB| Justin Durant | Tahir Whitehead
MLB| Stephen Tulloch | Travis Lewis | Ashlee Palmer
OLB| Arthur Brown | Tahir Whitehead
CB| Chris Houston | Jonte Green
FS| Phillip Thomas | John Wendling
SS| Chris Hope | Earl Wolff
CB| Dee Milliner | Dwight Bentley | Chris Greenwood

K| Jason Hanson
P| Ryan Allen
LS| Don Muhlbach
KR| Mike Thomas | Joique Bell
PR| Mike Thomas | Reggie Bush

Depth Chart Note:

It's time that some of our younger, development guys get their chance to prove whether or not they are in the future plans, with the tight salary cap space and accompanying roster moves, this year is there time to show up or ship out after the season. These players include Jason Fox and/or Corey Hilliard, Mike Thomas, Lawrence Jackson, and Willie Young. Ronnell Lewis and Tahir Whitehead could potentially fit in this area as well.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Combine/Pre FA Mock Reply with quote

1King wrote:
It's time that some of our younger, development guys get their chance to prove whether or not they are in the future plans, with the tight salary cap space and accompanying roster moves, this year is there time to show up or ship out after the season. These players include Jason Fox and/or Corey Hilliard, Mike Thomas, Lawrence Jackson, and Willie Young. Ronnell Lewis and Tahir Whitehead could potentially fit in this area as well.
You say this, as well as Mayhew, but then you draft Arthur Brown. The Lions felt good enough about Whitehead, that they traded a future selection to land him. Then they raved about Travis Lewis in TC, before he injured his hamstring- a guy who had been considered a 1st, early 2nd round selection his entire collegiate career until playing through a injury his senior season.

I'm just saying that I agree with your sentiments, and it would seem as if maybe OL and LB are a couple positions primed to be left open for competition amongst our youngsters already on the roster.
1King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Combine/Pre FA Mock Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
1King wrote:
You say this, as well as Mayhew, but then you draft Arthur Brown. The Lions felt good enough about Whitehead, that they traded a future selection to land him. Then they raved about Travis Lewis in TC, before he injured his hamstring- a guy who had been considered a 1st, early 2nd round selection his entire collegiate career until playing through a injury his senior season.

I'm just saying that I agree with your sentiments, and it would seem as if maybe OL and LB are a couple positions primed to be left open for competition amongst our youngsters already on the roster.

A valid point and one I considered, however I thought Brown was/would be too good to pass up. I view (and it is my understanding that) Travis Lewis is being groomed for the MLB spot and will eventually replace Tulloch whenever he retires/gets cut/is outperformed (I could be wrong on this though). And while I put Brown as the starter in the depth chart, I would expect him and Whitehead to compete for it. I resigned Durant, but dont view him as a long term solution of the opposite OLB spot, so he could start the first year of his new contract and then eventually get passed by one or the other (Whitehead or Brown) next year.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good draft.

Might as well make Backus a retire.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Combine/Pre FA Mock Reply with quote

1King wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
1King wrote:

A valid point and one I considered, however I thought Brown was/would be too good to pass up. I view (and it is my understanding that) Travis Lewis is being groomed for the MLB spot and will eventually replace Tulloch whenever he retires/gets cut/is outperformed (I could be wrong on this though). And while I put Brown as the starter in the depth chart, I would expect him and Whitehead to compete for it. I resigned Durant, but dont view him as a long term solution of the opposite OLB spot, so he could start the first year of his new contract and then eventually get passed by one or the other (Whitehead or Brown) next year.
Okay. I didn't view Travis strictly as a MLB, when I scouted him myself it was strictly for OLB. I don't know what the Lions plans are for him, but if you're right then Brown would be a good selection in that case.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not at all in favour of restructuring CJ's contract. He just signed last year and this continual habit of pushing money forward is a major part of the yearly cap problem.

Why would you want to restructure Tulloch. The Lions have two young LB and you're drafting another. Doing this ties the teams hands in the future and creates dead money when it could be time to cut him next year.

I understand everyone's desire to get room under the cap. Pushing money forward then spending all that money in free agency is simply moving the problem and as we are seeing this year pushing money forward and short contracts creat the perfect storm.

In cutting Shaun Hill I assume you think he has zero trade value. I don't disagree with moving him out and signing Stanton I just believe that with the QB needs out there and the poor talent in this class he would get some type of return. As I said I like the move. It saves money. I just think they can get a pick for him.

With the signings you have eight players on one year deals. I understand you don't want to commit but these expiring contracts along with others and the money pushed forward in restructures simply perpetuates the cap issues.

The free agent signings are great. I especially like the signing of Levitre. I don't see any chance the Lions have in getting him. He's going to get a big payday. But I would be on board if they could find the money.

I like the resigning. I especially like three years on SLH. It gets out of the one and two year deals and IMHO SLH is one of the most under appreciated players amongst the fans.

As a sentimental old poop I also really like seeing Muhlbach and Hanson back.

I think the comp picks are right on.

Milliner is a good pick. There are only a few players I like here and with the signing of LeVitre Warmack would simply be a luxury pick.

I haven't paid tremendous attention to Brown. I know he's a good player and offers tremendous versatility. It's hard to comment beyond that without knowing how the real draft shapes up. I know you addressed safety later on but this would be a spot that safety should also be under consideration.

I'm not high on the Dobson pick. I'm simply not a fan of the Lions taking a WR this high.

Picks 4 and 5 you've gone all in on the safety positions. The players are needed. Without Delmas I would have gone safety earlier but I can't disagree with these two the way your mock rolled out.

Don't know anything about Bass.

I love the Allen pick. Punting is an area of the game the Lions can really improve. Heck most parts of special teams can be improved. Adding a punter that can get adequate hang time will add a great deal to the team.

Overall pretty darn good. We have some philosophical differences but nothing major. If all these things happened I might have a more favourable outlook towards the upcoming season.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand we can't fill all holes in one off-season and you did a solid job bolstering the secondary but I feel we would have the worst DE's in the league if that was what our depth chart looked at.

We need to address the position more significantly than that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
I understand we can't fill all holes in one off-season and you did a solid job bolstering the secondary but I feel we would have the worst DE's in the league if that was what our depth chart looked at.

Unfortunately that's what the secondary has looked like in years past and unless the cap situation changes they could end up pretty weak in a few areas on the real roster this year.
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Unfortunately that's what the secondary has looked like in years past and unless the cap situation changes they could end up pretty weak in a few areas on the real roster this year.
Yeah, one of the units is gonna suffer. Either the OL will look extremely weak, , leaving Stafford vulnerable; or our DEs will look absolutely invisible; or we will continue to have one of the 5 worst secondaries in the league, just as we have for over a decade now.

That is, if our cap situation doesn't change any, and Mayhew's priorities don't change.
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I would rather draft Andre Ellington in the 3rd vs. signing Reggie Bush, sign Massaquoi or Barden to replace that Dobson pick, and use the cap savings from not signing Bush to bring in a DE like Barwin...otherwise I could dig it.

On Arthur Brown, I believe he is the ideal OLB for our system. I think you have to grab him if available.
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do not think cornerback is a high need on this team. Safety, DE, interior line, and wide receiver are bigger needs, and Milliner is far from the bpa at 5. So either way you would draft, bpa, need, or a combination of both, the Lions will not take Milliner.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

Well then I much prefer focusing on the DL once again.

I don't care who you have in the secondary, if you can't get pressure and QB's have all day to throw it's not gonna matter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

I don't care who you have in the secondary, if you can't get pressure and QB's have all day to throw it's not gonna matter.
I'd rather just get the best player.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

I'd rather just get the best player.

Fair enough. I can agree with that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: