You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Offseason Rumors Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: 2013 Offseason Rumors Thread Reply with quote

Figured we could add a catch all rumors thread. Should be a lot of fun to look back and see how many of the rumors turned out to be hot air.

I'll start.

Chris Mortensen wrote:
"Word around the NFL is the Raiders have interest in Geno Smith with that third overall pick in the draft," said Mort. "Now I can't get this confirmed by the team, but Geno Smith is a guy that everybody sees as a top-10 pick right now -- not everybody -- but he's got a chance to go in the top ten. And if the Raiders do like him, you better take him at No. 3." Mortensen indicated that Oakland would likely release Carson Palmer if Smith were drafted.

EDIT: Obviously, noteworthy Packers' rumors can go in a new thread.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
justo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People speculating that the 49ers are going to make a move for Revis now that they have 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 7 picks...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
People speculating that the 49ers are going to make a move for Revis now that they have 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 7 picks...

I would think it would make more sense to trade up and get a DT. That defense was much less effective when Justin Smith was unavailable for a few games.

#31, #34, and #61 should be enough to get up into the top 10. I don't think they have the money to pay Revis, to be honest.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
justo wrote:

I would think it would make more sense to trade up and get a DT. That defense was much less effective when Justin Smith was unavailable for a few games.

#31, #34, and #61 should be enough to get up into the top 10. I don't think they have the money to pay Revis, to be honest.
With that find of draft artillery I wouldn't feel safe if I was a non-essential veteran on that roster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
justo wrote:

I don't know the exact numbers, but I would think moving Alex Smith freed up some room to sign Revis.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
justo wrote:

With that find of draft artillery I wouldn't feel safe if I was a non-essential veteran on that roster.
IIRC their #1 pick last year wasn't activated all last season, and LaMichael James (their #2 pick) wasn't activated until past the midway mark. Team is only gonna get better Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very limited knowledge of the salary cap but I just cant see how SF can afford to sign Revis when they have to pay Willis/Bowman/A Smith (in the near future)/Justin Smith/Crabtree/Stayley/both Davis' and Kaep to heavy contracts sooner than later?

Why do we have to pinch, where SF an already top level talent team is going after one of the highest paid defensive players in the league?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
I have a very limited knowledge of the salary cap but I just cant see how SF can afford to sign Revis when they have to pay Willis/Bowman/A Smith (in the near future)/Justin Smith/Crabtree/Stayley/both Davis' and Kaep to heavy contracts sooner than later?

Why do we have to pinch, where SF an already top level talent team is going after one of the highest paid defensive players in the league?

they paid Bowman this year i'm pretty sure. Smith has already been traded so there contracts aren't a problem

but i think that's the elephant in the room as far as them looking at Revis. i don't think it's going to happen personally and for all the reasons you said. they already have to many superstar guys on the roster. they also have 12, maybe 13 now, draft picks and you have to sign those guys to contracts. i'm thinking that Revis's contract will probably be the equivalent to at least 2 or 3 role player contracts.

as far as us having to pinch, i don't think we have 2, but like anyone with good financial sense we will be smart with our money as opposed to buying something shiny that may not be worth the money. i'd rather have Clay locked up, Rodgers locked up, and probably Raji instead of just having Revis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

they paid Bowman this year i'm pretty sure. Smith has already been traded so there contracts aren't a problem

but i think that's the elephant in the room as far as them looking at Revis. i don't think it's going to happen personally and for all the reasons you said. they already have to many superstar guys on the roster. they also have 12, maybe 13 now, draft picks and you have to sign those guys to contracts. i'm thinking that Revis's contract will probably be the equivalent to at least 2 or 3 role player contracts.

as far as us having to pinch, i don't think we have 2, but like anyone with good financial sense we will be smart with our money as opposed to buying something shiny that may not be worth the money. i'd rather have Clay locked up, Rodgers locked up, and probably Raji instead of just having Revis.

I heard trading Smith cleared 9.75 Mil in cap space.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/28/niners-clear-9-75-million-in-cap-space-by-trading-smith/
Kampman74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:

We could have a large turnover of money if the team felt like it. Hawk/Pickett/Tramon all could be let go and thats 25 mil on top of the 20 we just freed up. Rodgers and Raji are already making half of their future contracts and Clay is making a third we would have 25 mil left to go after big name FA. They are currently the best at what they do now and that will be noticed when their front office starts getting picked apart like ours has the last couple of years.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis

Sounds like the 9ers are smart don't go after a one year rental who can just decide to hold out at any point in time for big money. I would say that they should trade up and grab some elite talent in this draft but isn't this the draft to stay put. Maybe they do a bunch of moving and end up with 5 or six second round picks.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Rodgers and Raji are already making half of their future contracts

I don't think Raji will make twice as much as he makes right now, maybe 3-4 more million, but the guy is almost a $7m cap hit. If he wants $14m per year, I'd let him walk, put Pickett back at NT and draft a DE...

Raji is a good player but he isn't THAT good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

I don't think Raji will make twice as much as he makes right now, maybe 3-4 more million, but the guy is almost a $7m cap hit. If he wants $14m per year, I'd let him walk, put Pickett back at NT and draft a DE...

Raji's a better player when we have talent and rested bodies around him AND we give him rest. We've been gassing him the past 2 seasons thus limiting his potential. Frankly, I think we need to draft another NT or a Jesse Williams type who can play both inside and out on a rotational basis rather than another DE. I think Neal, Wilson, and Daniels can step up at this point; especially Daniels.

As for the 49ers, I'd expect them to use the extra 2nd round picks and their first to jump into the top-10. Frankly, I think the 49ers should trade up with Jax. Jax is in complete rebuild mode worse than the Vikings were recently. Their O-line is crap, MJD is looking to leave, Blackmon is really their only decent WR, they really don't have a TE, and I honestly couldn't name a single person off their defense other than Rasheen Mathis without having to look it up. This would also be a smart move for the 49ers because instead of having to pay all those higher draft picks, they'd just have to pay one or two players and they'd be able to use the other picks to draft quality, rather than quantity and who knows how many, if any, compensatory picks they'll get.

If I were them, I'd actually go offense and get Kaepernick another receiver, possibly Cordarelle Patterson, rather than DE or NT. The D-line class is very deep in this draft.

Did anyone else pick-up on Finley's comments regarding his status with us? Kevin Seifert is reporting that Finley won't take a pay cut.

....with the 26th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select....Tyler Eifert, tight end from Notre Dame...
Kampman74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

Ah right, my bad. Still we could have money left over IF we wanted a FA. I wouldn't want Revis though as the man seems to hold out whenever he wants.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

Ah right, my bad. Still we could have money left over IF we wanted a FA. I wouldn't want Revis though as the man seems to hold out whenever he wants.

I think a cheap FA is definitely a possibility, but I wouldn't go out of my way because we have to extend a bunch of people.

NCPackFan wrote:
Raji's a better player when we have talent and rested bodies around him AND we give him rest. We've been gassing him the past 2 seasons thus limiting his potential. Frankly, I think we need to draft another NT or a Jesse Williams type who can play both inside and out on a rotational basis rather than another DE. I think Neal, Wilson, and Daniels can step up at this point; especially Daniels.

I don't have a problem with Raji's play whatsoever in 2012. Actually, it's the opposite for me...He was very good after the mid point of the season. I do think we need to add someone to the DL but for different reason(Pickett possibly walking). I was only talking about his contract, he is worth about 10m/year to the Packers, I'd say. I just don't want the Packers to be in a situation like Detroit is in, paying three players(Rodgers, Clay, Raji) an absurd amount.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: