Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General Offseason Discussion (Around the League)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
With the way the salary structures for top picks has changed, the argument against guards, tight ends etc has changed a bit. It used to be completely unreasonable to take a guard or tight end that high, because you were instantly making them the highest paid player in the league at their position, on top of the opportunity costs of passing on another player. The pick could only really be worth it if they were a good QB or DL, really good WR or LT, or an absolute stud RB or non-DL defender.

Now if you draft someone like Eifert at six, and hes a stud, you are still paying him less than what the top of the line Tight Ends make, so its fair.

The argument is now purely opportunity cost. You are giving up the opportunity to draft someone who plays a more important position at a discount to what the great players at their position make.

I think its still too risky to not take potential stud defender in the top ten, because in this draft it seems the defensive guys will be the steals in top 10. Eifert will probably be really good, but I'd rather go a different avenue. Hes not special enough for a top 10 spot. Like other guys said, unless you are getting Graham or Gronk, top ten for a tight end isnt particularly exciting.

Good post. Things have changed now, at least it would seem. Decastro was supposed to go earlier than he did last year because of the new rookie pay scale, but he didn't get selected until #24. No 1st round tight ends were taken either, Fleener was the 1st one taken at #32 and no other tight end was drafted until round 3.

That was just one draft, this one may show more of what you are talking about. We will see.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question, how many starters are you guys expecting from the draft?

I want and expect at least 3: A #2 CB, A FS and a punter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you also gotta remember how Important TEs play in Turners offense and Chud's offense.

CAR Chud's TEs
2011: 82 catches 1000yards 9TDs
2012: 69 Catches 843yards 5TDs
SD Chud's TEs
2009: 79catches 1157yards 8TDs
2010: 70 catches 1001yards 12TDs
CLE Chud's TEs
2007: 82 Catches 1106yards 5TDs
2008: 66 catches 677yards 3TDs

under Turner, Gates 62catches 823yards 8TDs the past 6 seasons.

Chuds offenses were a lot more dangerous when the TE was making plays for them and Turner had some good teams when Gates was playing at his best. If the Browns really think Eifert is going to be that huge of an impact player then they need to take him. There is other talent I would want at 6 and if the Browns really want Eifert that they should trade down for him but if they draft I wont be too mad because he would make a huge impact for the Browns

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:

May depend if we draft for need or BPA. If we draft for need and don't make any draft day trades I'd guess 3 including a punter, maybe we get lucky and get 4 but that would be a stretch.

If we draft BPA it may be as little as one. They'd be more role players at first, and then eventually become starters. Any defensive front 7 guys that we draft, with the exception of the LILB, would likely be role players, even though they may see more time on the field than the starter.

If we wait until round 4 or later to get a CB and/or FS there is a chance one of the DB's on our roster would beat him out.

Easiest positions for newly acquired players to earn starting jobs imo:
#2 CB
FS
P
FB
TE
G
LILB

So if we go OLB and QB in rounds 1 and 3 and we don't draft a punter we may not get a starter for the 2013 season at all. I would expect production from the player we draft at #6, starter or not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:

I'd say 4.

1. CB
2. FB
3. P
4. OG

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good posts fellas.

For me, a top 10 pick should be an elite player at an 'important' position i.e. LT, perimeter WR, RB, QB, pass rusher, DT/DL, and CB. This, to me, is the top tier of positions that need to be addressed first and foremost.

Next, and this is only my opinion, are positions that certainly merit a top 10 selection if the prospect is truly elite in regards to both college production while having prototypical size/speed/potential. These positions include FS, SS, OLB, RT, MLB and TE.

Finally is the third tier which would consist of C, G, FB, K, and P. These positions should, IMO, never be drafted in the top 10 regardless of the prospects ability as the positional value doesn't warrant it.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
NewWorldOrder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Good posts fellas.

For me, a top 10 pick should be an elite player at an 'important' position i.e. LT, perimeter WR, RB, QB, pass rusher, DT/DL, and CB. This, to me, is the top tier of positions that need to be addressed first and foremost.

Next, and this is only my opinion, are positions that certainly merit a top 10 selection if the prospect is truly elite in regards to both college production while having prototypical size/speed/potential. These positions include FS, SS, OLB, RT, MLB and TE.

Finally is the third tier which would consist of C, G, FB, K, and P. These positions should, IMO, never be drafted in the top 10 regardless of the prospects ability as the positional value doesn't warrant it.

based on everything you've said, I now expect Lombardi to have full control of the draft, and pick the highest rated long snapper with the sixth pick!

Every time the Browns start a new QB, a puppy dies!
Adopt-A-Browne: Mike Lombardi
2013 stats...2 head coaches fired, &over 300 cups of coffee served daily to Banner.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewWorldOrder wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Good posts fellas.

based on everything you've said, I now expect Lombardi to have full control of the draft, and pick the highest rated long snapper with the sixth pick!

Winning!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm expecting at least 3 starters.

I don't think a drafted OG would start unless they are drafted 4th or higher.

I expect a trade down.

I expect we take an OLB in the first. Technically maybe not a starter, but i'm counting it as one.

I would say the 2nd and 3rd brings us a TE and either a FS or CB.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
buno67

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Good posts fellas.

For me, a top 10 pick should be an elite player at an 'important' position i.e. LT, perimeter WR, RB, QB, pass rusher, DT/DL, and CB. This, to me, is the top tier of positions that need to be addressed first and foremost..

Well in our new offense a TE is an important position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61
Page 61 of 61

Jump to: