Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons to release Turner, Robinson, Abraham
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tech2186

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
I heard this on 92.9 the Game and think its a good idea. They should tell Abe if he stills wants to play, he should test the market, and we match his highest offer. Not sure if it will happen, but he wasn't worth what he was scheduled to make...

I heard the same thing. Abe could be back. We need to talk about Sam Baker. Has anyone seen this Will Beatty contract????? Sam is going to ask fo that. Is he worth it??? He has only has 1 good season!!! THat is going to be the kicker for us. Moore will be signed long term. That's the major bright spot here.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
CoachFunk7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, not sure how I feel about only having Asante and McClain under contract. I'm worried about Grimes' achilles affecting his athleticism, but I just saw a video(i think it was recently, but who knows) of him doing a backflip into a sand pit. Robinson obviously didn't live up to his contract, but I expected us to keep him around, or at least restructure him, for his physical presence on the defense which I personally enjoyed watching. Grimes needs to be re-signed, and we will likely give him the big contract he deserves.

My big question now is this: With NO pass rushing DE's on our roster, do we double-dip at Defensive End? Michael Johnson and a draft pick like Okafor? Or do we go Okafor and a guy like Datone Jones or Tank Carradine in the second? I would feel much better heading into the season with 2 new guys on the edge, that's for sure. Any chance we just switch to a 3-4 now? We have more DE's suited for a Rush LB spot than an end spot. We would probably have to draft a guy like Jenkins to man the nose.

On another note, thanks John Abraham for giving life to our otherwise lifeless pass rush over the years. Thanks to Burner for running the offense while Matt Ryan got used to being in control. And thanks to Dunta for laying out DeSean Jackson. I hate that guy...

89 tackles; 3 sacks; 6 passes defensed
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 of those don't surprise me. I didn't think they would release Robinson.
Lentz33

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This without a doubt put DE as our #1 priority. Resigning Grimes should also but up there. I'm a bit surprised we cut Abe, but then again not really. The thing now is we have enough cap space to sign some big name guys hopefully.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
We need to talk about Sam Baker. Has anyone seen this Will Beatty contract????? Sam is going to ask fo that. Is he worth it??

I'm one of the bigger Sam Baker supporters on here but surely there's no way he gets $8m a year from anyone. If he goes onto the open market and a desperate team offers it to him, you have to let him leave and see what you have with Holmes.

Foster-A-Falcon: Matt Bryant
2013 Stats: 24/27 FG (88.9%), 39/39 XP (100%)
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrawABlank wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
We need to talk about Sam Baker. Has anyone seen this Will Beatty contract????? Sam is going to ask fo that. Is he worth it??

I'm one of the bigger Sam Baker supporters on here but surely there's no way he gets $8m a year from anyone. If he goes onto the open market and a desperate team offers it to him, you have to let him leave and see what you have with Holmes.
I wouldn't mind signing Baker to a 1 year deal. Let him prove he is over his injuries and than let him hit the open market next year and plop Holmes into the lineup.
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, now this is basically screaming that we are gonna draft a DE in the first and get one in FA or even double dip in the draft... everyone who keeps mocking Eifert to us needs to stop. I have a feeling Tony is coming back. We can grab a TE in the later rounds. i would feel so much better with 2 new, younger guys on the edge this season. Nolan has his say in things, and this might be the beginning of the switch to a 3-4. I sure hope so. 3-4 defenses are amazing
Hotlanta12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand releasing Abe. It's a different story if we re-sign him for a cheaper deal but it looks as if hes done as a Falcon. I can't be excited about releasing Abe. He was still producing at a high level, easily our best passrusher. Even with him, we had a bad pass rush. Now he's leaving.
And now people are excited the possibility of bringing in Umenyiora who is 30 , has a bad attitude, and wants alot of money. Or even Freeney who's 33 and had an unproductive yea rlast year

Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Matthews, or Barr to Atlanta in 2014!
tech2186

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrawABlank wrote:
tech2186 wrote:

I agree with you but you also can't let Matt Ryan be placed out there to get beat up (PHILLIP RIVERS!!!). So you got to make sure your LT is taken care of so your franchise QB is taken care of. Baker needs to take a hometown discount.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotlanta12 wrote:
I don't understand releasing Abe. It's a different story if we re-sign him for a cheaper deal but it looks as if hes done as a Falcon. I can't be excited about releasing Abe. He was still producing at a high level, easily our best passrusher. Even with him, we had a bad pass rush. Now he's leaving.
And now people are excited the possibility of bringing in Umenyiora who is 30 , has a bad attitude, and wants alot of money. Or even Freeney who's 33 and had an unproductive yea rlast year

you're right. i just saw his interview on nfl network and he was still in his falcons gear Sad i really am gonna miss seeing 55 out there. hopefully we can bring him back for cheaper. chances are johnson will be too expensive for us
swoosh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turner: 60 touchdowns in 75 games
Abraham: 68.5 sacks in 102 games

Both Turner and Abraham had outstanding careers as Falcons. I wish them the best of luck. It'll certainly be different without them in red and black.

Dunta, too, was a good player for the Falcons. He often got picked on because of his big contract, but he was solid. Very solid. His presence and leadership will be missed. Great guy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
Turner: 60 touchdowns in 75 games
Abraham: 68.5 sacks in 102 games

Both Turner and Abraham had outstanding careers as Falcons. I wish them the best of luck. It'll certainly be different without them in red and black.

Dunta, too, was a good player for the Falcons. He often got picked on because of his big contract, but he was solid. Very solid. His presence and leadership will be missed. Great guy.

I'm still convinced we will get Abe back. Released him so we could work out a new contract. I've been wrong before though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised by the Dunta and Turner cuts. Not pleased by the Abraham cut, but I guess its business.

driftwood wrote:
haggis wrote:
i bet if you had sould after he jumped a little cough here and there usually follow

lol, wait what?
RIZE FALCONS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is everything i said I said we cut all three and get to 20 million of cap space and in turn we get younger and more explosive! I think cutting Abraham was brilliant because one we could bring him back for alot less money two we sign 2 guys that get us 8 sacks apiece that equals more to me so bring in a vet like Freeney and draft Arthur brown in the first and a guy like Margus Hunt in the second and bring in Lattimore in the third i would love this!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an outsider looking in, I am not a bit surprised by Abraham or Turner, though I think this destroyes any remains of their pass rush. I was stunned by the release of Dunta Robinson. This team was one of the best NFC Teams in the league, obviously, this season and the response to a 'failed season' is 'blowing up the roster'? I'm just a bit surprised. The thinking here I'm sure is to get Moore and other key potential FA's resigned, so I understand it, just a bit surprised. I definitely think Steven Jackson is a BIG possibility for the Falcons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: