Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons to release Turner, Robinson, Abraham
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devils1854

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Falcons to release Turner, Robinson, Abraham Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter
Major moves in Atlanta: Falcons are releasing CB Dunta Robinson, RB Michael Turner, DE John Abraham today.

#JDI
Robust Perry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's dropping the hammer.

Couple points...

1. Our pass rush is officially horrible now
2. Probably clears enough space to get Steven Jackson in here and resign Moore/Baker
3. What do we do with Grimes now?
4. this makes DE a priority in the draft & even FA now
GFalcon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know how i feel about jon and dunta leaving, ESPECIALLY if Grimes is not resigned

mack. ^
Justin Upton Stat Tracker: 12 HR 18 RBI .302 BA
Proud Air Traffic Control Student In Training!
BeeperKing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turner is no shock, but the other two come as slight surprise. Robinson wasn't so bad, and he's arguably the safer pick between him and Grimes, so I guess TD is confident in resigning Grimes. Abe came as a huge shock, simply because I thought he was making not a lot of money. His play has fallen off a bit, but I would have just kept him. I guess we may be getting a different veteran (Freeney?) and a rookie (hopefully Moore drops to our pick).
devils1854

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robinson was expected as well. His cap number was way too high. Not worth the production we got. We still have Asante and McClain, so corner isn't a very huge need like DE. Grimes is still probably a realistic option anyway.

#JDI
GFalcon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
Robinson was expected as well. His cap number was way too high. Not worth the production we got. We still have Asante and McClain, so corner isn't a very huge need like DE. Grimes is still probably a realistic option anyway.

mcclain was going against #3's, for all we know he could be a 1 year wonder, i hope not though, so i disagree with you with CB not being a huge need

mack. ^
Justin Upton Stat Tracker: 12 HR 18 RBI .302 BA
Proud Air Traffic Control Student In Training!
devils1854

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GFalcon wrote:
devils1854 wrote:

mcclain was going against #3's, for all we know he could be a 1 year wonder, i hope not though, so i disagree with you with CB not being a huge need

He played a lot with the injuries to Asante and Dunta last year. Yes, he could be a one year wonder. I have those worries myself, but we have one good starter in Asante, and a good nickle in McClain. That's a lot more than most teams have. Corner is a need, but a great player isn't a must have.

#JDI
chipperboy1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected Dunta and Turner, but Abe shocks me a little. I mean, I kinda figured, us needing to get cap and all, but still, damn. 7 years. Was amazing for us. Gonna really miss him.
adam9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected us to cut Abe. He was our best pash rusher last year, but that doesn't say much.

With this I expect us to re-sign Grimes and hit FA hard. Maybe go after Jake Long, Cliff Avril, maybe a top DT like Melton or Starks. Not all those guys obviously, but this is going to be a big FA period for us..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
I expected us to cut Abe. He was our best pash rusher last year, but that doesn't say much.

With this I expect us to re-sign Grimes and hit FA hard. Maybe go after Jake Long, Cliff Avril, maybe a top DT like Melton or Starks. Not all those guys obviously, but this is going to be a big FA period for us..

We should have around 25ish mil right now. Guys on Twitter are saying that this saves about 18.5 this year. Add in the 3 mil from the bump in the cap, plus we were under by a couple mil already.

If we are going to more of a 3-4 then I would think Avril might be the #1 target.

We could probably bring him in, resign Grimes, resign Moore, and bring a vet nt with money left over for the draft and any low cost, depth signings.

#JDI
ShockdAtFalcons

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn did not expect Abe to get axed. Part of me is still thinking/hoping that we'll re-sign him after the cut like we've done in the past

2013 Foster a falcon
SS William Moore: 85 Tackles, 3 FFs, 3 INTs.
WR Harry Douglas: 85 rec, 1,067 yards, 2 TDs.
adam9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
adam9 wrote:

We should have around 25ish mil right now. Guys on Twitter are saying that this saves about 18.5 this year. Add in the 3 mil from the bump in the cap, plus we were under by a couple mil already.

If we are going to more of a 3-4 then I would think Avril might be the #1 target.

We could probably bring him in, resign Grimes, resign Moore, and bring a vet nt with money left over for the draft and any low cost, depth signings.

Just think of re-signing all the key guys, getting Bennett/Avril and a guy like Seymour at DT Drool Drool Drool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of Smiths first year when we cut all those veterans. Rod Coleman and Alge Crumpler among others. Expecting a big free agency especially if TG retires.

JGold on the Sig

Atlanta Falcons and LSU Tigers all the way!
tech2186

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis really isn't that surprising. We need to get younger at RB and DE. Dunta was a cap killer and his is just an average CB in the NFL. We can get someone with his same production cheaper or look to the draft. This signals grimes coming back IMO. McClain and Owens will be ok and maybe draft a CB or pick one up in Free agency.

DE is the main goal here. One will have to be drafted high and one in FA I suppose.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
adam9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this on 92.9 the Game and think its a good idea. They should tell Abe if he stills wants to play, he should test the market, and we match his highest offer. Not sure if it will happen, but he wasn't worth what he was scheduled to make...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: