Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Detroit Lions and Matthew Stafford's contract renegotiations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
skatebeanz


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 19262
Location: Jamison. on the Sweet-sig.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.
_________________

Sig bet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 49895
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.


No run game, poor defense, and WRs always broke

He has had his up and downs but this is not all on him
_________________


AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
carlande


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 1411
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.


No run game, poor defense, and WRs always broke

He has had his up and downs but this is not all on him


This is a make or break year for him and the coaching staff. To be a top-paid starting QB you have to win...no excuses. If he gets a serious injury or has another sub-par year he might even be done in Detroit. If I was Mayhew I wouldn't offer an extention unless this team makes the playoffs.

If he can't do it why pay him top-dollar at his position? You must beat Green-Bay. You must beat Minnesota. You must beat Chicago. Otherwise what are you paying for and why? Mediocrity?

Yes it's not all Staffords fault, just like it wasn't all Joey's fault. Just like it wasn't all Garcia's fault. Just like it wasn't all Kitna's fault. It doesn't matter in the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X_Factor_40


Moderator
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 18874
Location: Hockeytown
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlande wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.


No run game, poor defense, and WRs always broke

He has had his up and downs but this is not all on him


This is a make or break year for him and the coaching staff. To be a top-paid starting QB you have to win...no excuses. If he gets a serious injury or has another sub-par year he might even be done in Detroit. If I was Mayhew I wouldn't offer an extention unless this team makes the playoffs.

If he can't do it why pay him top-dollar at his position? You must beat Green-Bay. You must beat Minnesota. You must beat Chicago. Otherwise what are you paying for and why? Mediocrity?

Yes it's not all Staffords fault, just like it wasn't all Joey's fault. Just like it wasn't all Garcia's fault. Just like it wasn't all Kitna's fault. It doesn't matter in the end.


He's been surrounded by talent from the top of the draft. At some point he needs to make more of an impact on his own... especially for the money he makes.
_________________
Team Stylish313
Adopt-A-Lion: Calvin Johnson
Adopt-A-Lion: Stylish313
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1066
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlande wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.


No run game, poor defense, and WRs always broke

He has had his up and downs but this is not all on him


This is a make or break year for him and the coaching staff. To be a top-paid starting QB you have to win...no excuses. If he gets a serious injury or has another sub-par year he might even be done in Detroit. If I was Mayhew I wouldn't offer an extention unless this team makes the playoffs.

If he can't do it why pay him top-dollar at his position? You must beat Green-Bay. You must beat Minnesota. You must beat Chicago. Otherwise what are you paying for and why? Mediocrity?

Yes it's not all Staffords fault, just like it wasn't all Joey's fault. Just like it wasn't all Garcia's fault. Just like it wasn't all Kitna's fault. It doesn't matter in the end.

You wouldn't extend a QB coming off his rookie contract that has shown to be a franchise QB?

I understand the team needs to win, but geeze... to suggest a sub-par year might be his last in Detroit is short-sighted, especially when he he's thrown 10,000+ yards the past two years
_________________
detfan782004 wrote:

Cruz is one of best WR in the game


detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.


wut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25689
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.


He has the high cap hit because Mayhew keeps going to players to restructure contracts.

His salary is 12.5 million which is more then he's worth but as I mentioned the cap is Mayhew's fault not Staffords.

We could all sit around and say Stafford isn't the worth the money he is getting paid but its irrelevant because we all get paid what we can negotiate. In this situation Mayhew has negotiated the Lions into a horrendous cap hit.

Unless there's something in it for Stafford why should he sign an extension at this point?

Stafford has cooperated with Mayhew during his career and restructured every time he's been asked. The only way they are going to get him extended is to offer him top five money which he currently isn't worth.

Personally I think extending him now is a huge risk to the Lions but its a risk Mayhew is forced to take trying to extend Stafford to lower a cap hit that is a result of Mayhew's financial practices.

Mayhew has negotiated himself into a bad spot. We will know shortly how it turns out.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25689
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
carlande wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.


No run game, poor defense, and WRs always broke

He has had his up and downs but this is not all on him


This is a make or break year for him and the coaching staff. To be a top-paid starting QB you have to win...no excuses. If he gets a serious injury or has another sub-par year he might even be done in Detroit. If I was Mayhew I wouldn't offer an extention unless this team makes the playoffs.

If he can't do it why pay him top-dollar at his position? You must beat Green-Bay. You must beat Minnesota. You must beat Chicago. Otherwise what are you paying for and why? Mediocrity?

Yes it's not all Staffords fault, just like it wasn't all Joey's fault. Just like it wasn't all Garcia's fault. Just like it wasn't all Kitna's fault. It doesn't matter in the end.

You wouldn't extend a QB coming off his rookie contract that has shown to be a franchise QB?

I understand the team needs to win, but geeze... to suggest a sub-par year might be his last in Detroit is short-sighted, especially when he he's thrown 10,000+ yards the past two years


I don't disagree with what you're saying but I don't think we can lose sight of a few things.

1. This cap situation has been created by Mayhew restructuring Staffords contract. I believe it was done twice.

2. Stafford is a good, not great QB with upside. To really make significant difference the extension will have to be a significant number of years with sizeable signing bonus.

3. Extending him now ties the teams hands. If Stafford isn't the QB everyone seems to think he is changing direction will be next to impossible because there will be significant dead money.

I'm curious what everyone thinks it will take to get him extended?
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Lurker


Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 438
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
I'm curious what everyone thinks it will take to get him extended?


6 years, $108 million, say $55 million guaranteed.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 per, just south of Brees contract. Wouldn't be surprised if the contract exceeds that either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
carlande wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.


No run game, poor defense, and WRs always broke

He has had his up and downs but this is not all on him


This is a make or break year for him and the coaching staff. To be a top-paid starting QB you have to win...no excuses. If he gets a serious injury or has another sub-par year he might even be done in Detroit. If I was Mayhew I wouldn't offer an extention unless this team makes the playoffs.

If he can't do it why pay him top-dollar at his position? You must beat Green-Bay. You must beat Minnesota. You must beat Chicago. Otherwise what are you paying for and why? Mediocrity?

Yes it's not all Staffords fault, just like it wasn't all Joey's fault. Just like it wasn't all Garcia's fault. Just like it wasn't all Kitna's fault. It doesn't matter in the end.

You wouldn't extend a QB coming off his rookie contract that has shown to be a franchise QB?

I understand the team needs to win, but geeze... to suggest a sub-par year might be his last in Detroit is short-sighted, especially when he he's thrown 10,000+ yards the past two years


I don't disagree with what you're saying but I don't think we can lose sight of a few things.

1. This cap situation has been created by Mayhew restructuring Staffords contract. I believe it was done twice.

2. Stafford is a good, not great QB with upside. To really make significant difference the extension will have to be a significant number of years with sizeable signing bonus.

3. Extending him now ties the teams hands. If Stafford isn't the QB everyone seems to think he is changing direction will be next to impossible because there will be significant dead money.

I'm curious what everyone thinks it will take to get him extended?
For Mayhew and this staff to save their jobs, he's pretty much gonna have to have a perfect off-season. That means filling the roster with quality players, while having limited cap space and draft selections, and losing guys to free agency.

Extending Stafford is the major cog in the operation, so in that respect Stafford holds all of the cards. At this point, Mayhew has to go all in with the guys he's counting on. That means Calvin gets a huge contract (done), Stafford gets one north of Calvin's (franchise QB), and Suh is held hostage as long as possible (exclusive franchise tender when the time comes).

Stafford's extension is a must-do proposition, and if not completed then a miracle will be needed to field a legitimate contending team this season. And if Detroit suffers another putrid season like they did last year, then I find it impossible to believe that the rebuilding cycle doesn't begin once again.

6 years, $110M
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
carlande


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 1411
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
carlande wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.


No run game, poor defense, and WRs always broke

He has had his up and downs but this is not all on him


This is a make or break year for him and the coaching staff. To be a top-paid starting QB you have to win...no excuses. If he gets a serious injury or has another sub-par year he might even be done in Detroit. If I was Mayhew I wouldn't offer an extention unless this team makes the playoffs.

If he can't do it why pay him top-dollar at his position? You must beat Green-Bay. You must beat Minnesota. You must beat Chicago. Otherwise what are you paying for and why? Mediocrity?

Yes it's not all Staffords fault, just like it wasn't all Joey's fault. Just like it wasn't all Garcia's fault. Just like it wasn't all Kitna's fault. It doesn't matter in the end.

You wouldn't extend a QB coming off his rookie contract that has shown to be a franchise QB?

I understand the team needs to win, but geeze... to suggest a sub-par year might be his last in Detroit is short-sighted, especially when he he's thrown 10,000+ yards the past two years


I don't disagree with what you're saying but I don't think we can lose sight of a few things.

1. This cap situation has been created by Mayhew restructuring Staffords contract. I believe it was done twice.

2. Stafford is a good, not great QB with upside. To really make significant difference the extension will have to be a significant number of years with sizeable signing bonus.

3. Extending him now ties the teams hands. If Stafford isn't the QB everyone seems to think he is changing direction will be next to impossible because there will be significant dead money.

I'm curious what everyone thinks it will take to get him extended?


That's why I think this team should wait on the extenision. It's more important to be right on Stafford and be conservative in FA than be wrong and be financially tied long term to him and others that couldn't get the job done.

I was ready to jump on the Stafford train at the start of last season, but that train derailed quickly. I don't want to hear excuses on his behalf by posters. He's got to be the leader on the field. Stafford wouldn't make excuses and hasn't.

A Super-Bowl winning quarterback who has a long winning pedigree like Peyton Manning can afford to have a down year every now and then and still command top dollar and franchise QB status. Drew Brees and the Saints just had a down year, but he's proven himself just like Manning. Does Flacco deserve that money? Well he just won the Super Bowl. Stafford has not. Alot of promising QBs can make the playoffs, but if one thinks Stafford can ride on one year of just barely making the playoffs with two consecutive dives in the basement you're wrong. I don't know how Romo has survived in Dallas as long as he has with all his blunders. I like Phillip Rivers, but he's been a blunder the last few seasons. Daunte Culpepper had an MVP year in the shadow of Manning, but consequently blundered his way out. It's a show-me-now league.

Yes, Stafford still shows promise, he had a nice rebound game at the end of the season after that miserable performance against Arizona, but he's at a critical junction. Make this season matter. Make the playoffs like Rodgers does time and time again, better yet beat Rodgers, or go replace Romo in Dallas at half the cost. It's time to put up or shut up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20181
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlande wrote:
That's why I think this team should wait on the extenision. It's more important to be right on Stafford and be conservative in FA than be wrong and be financially tied long term to him and others that couldn't get the job done.

I was ready to jump on the Stafford train at the start of last season, but that train derailed quickly. I don't want to hear excuses on his behalf by posters. He's got to be the leader on the field. Stafford wouldn't make excuses and hasn't.

A Super-Bowl winning quarterback who has a long winning pedigree like Peyton Manning can afford to have a down year every now and then and still command top dollar and franchise QB status. Drew Brees and the Saints just had a down year, but he's proven himself just like Manning. Does Flacco deserve that money? Well he just won the Super Bowl. Stafford has not. Alot of promising QBs can make the playoffs, but if one thinks Stafford can ride on one year of just barely making the playoffs with two consecutive dives in the basement you're wrong. I don't know how Romo has survived in Dallas as long as he has with all his blunders. I like Phillip Rivers, but he's been a blunder the last few seasons. Daunte Culpepper had an MVP year in the shadow of Manning, but consequently blundered his way out. It's a show-me-now league.

Yes, Stafford still shows promise, he had a nice rebound game at the end of the season after that miserable performance against Arizona, but he's at a critical junction. Make this season matter. Make the playoffs like Rodgers does time and time again, better yet beat Rodgers, or go replace Romo in Dallas at half the cost. It's time to put up or shut up.

Stafford is always going to get more than his fair share of criticism and scrutiny because he's a quarterback, but if I'm making a list of the reasons the Lions were unsuccessful last year, Stafford is not very high up on that list. It's true that he didn't play well for stretches, but I think at worst he's a serviceable quarterback, and that's really more than we've had at the position since Greg Landry was a Pro Bowler. We've had a series of journeymen (Kitna, Shaun Hill), free agency busts (Garcia, Mitchell) draft busts (Long, Ware, Harrington, Stanton), and clowns that never should have been given the opportunity to start on an NFL team (Ty Detmer, Mike McMahon). I realize "best of a bad bunch" isn't a ringing endorsement, but we have also seen Stafford play some pretty amazing games. Take for example the San Diego game in 2011; he was unstoppable. He was pretty damn good in the playoff game against the Saints until our defense fell apart.

I guess you can order it how you like, but we had a lot of problems last year:

1) Injuries to offensive skill players (Best, Burleson, Broyles, and Pettigrew all missed portions of the season, something like a combined 30 games between them)

2) The offensive line was inconsistent and poor at run blocking

3) The pass rush disappeared

4) The defense succumbed to injuries and just general suckage; they didn't get the turnovers they got last year, and weren't able to stop teams as a result. This was more a regression toward the mean. 2011 was a pretty lucky year for most of our secondary.

5) Stafford didn't play as well as he did in 2011.

6) Titus Young . . . enough said. He was supposed to be an important part of our offense and wound up being unproductive and disruptive.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25689
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think Stafford has potential I agree with everything carlande said.

Stafford is going to get vastly overpaid at this point. While Detroit may have had less than stellar QB play, to date having the heir apparent ascend to the starting role hasn't meant much in the win column.

Jon Kitna had two 4000+ yard seasons with 62.4 and 63.3 completion percentages.

Obviously Stafford has more potential than Kitna but to date he hasn't done anything to deserve the current salary let alone the raise he will get.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20181
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.

Stafford has gone over 20 TDs only once in a season, but he has 80 TDs in 45 starts--that's over 28 TDs per 16 games. And that's not including his 7 rushing TDs.

Stafford is going to get overpaid, I realize that, but there are a ton of overpaid quarterbacks. Is Joe Flacco really any better than Stafford? He's enjoyed a lot of postseason success, but his team--especially on the o-line and on defense--is much better than Stafford's. He has Ray Rice, which is a rather nice outlet for him. His stats are pretty much the definition of average.

There are a bunch of QBs that aren't as good as Stafford and don't have as much potential as Stafford that are making a lot of money. Carson Palmer is playing out a $100 million contract right now (and in fact, of all the 14 players in NFL history who have signed $100+ million dollar deals, he's been the one that's actually earned the most money--around $72 million). Mike Vick has gotten two $100 million deals and has had only one or two seasons in which he's really earned that kind of cash--one of which was the season before signing his second $100M deal. Matt Cassel got a big deal from KC a few years back when they traded for him. Sam Bradford has earned more money since he entered the league than Stafford has, and he has really done very little aside from getting massively overrated due to the first half of his rookie season. How much money did Ryan Fitzpatrick receive last offseason? He's one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL, if not the worst.

In other words, unless you've got a QB you drafted in 2011 or afterward and he's still on his rookie deal, or unless you had a backup unexpectedly blossom into a star, you are paying your quarterback a LOT of money. Stafford is going to be no exception. I doubt he will get the type of deal that Flacco received, but I can see 6 years and $100 million or somewhere around there. But that won't be the important part--the guaranteed money will be, and I just don't know what the market for that's going to look like. I would assume Stafford is going to have several performance escalators in there based on postseason appearances and success.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skatebeanz


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 19262
Location: Jamison. on the Sweet-sig.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.


He has the high cap hit because Mayhew keeps going to players to restructure contracts.

His salary is 12.5 million which is more then he's worth but as I mentioned the cap is Mayhew's fault not Staffords.

We could all sit around and say Stafford isn't the worth the money he is getting paid but its irrelevant because we all get paid what we can negotiate. In this situation Mayhew has negotiated the Lions into a horrendous cap hit.

Unless there's something in it for Stafford why should he sign an extension at this point?

Stafford has cooperated with Mayhew during his career and restructured every time he's been asked. The only way they are going to get him extended is to offer him top five money which he currently isn't worth.

Personally I think extending him now is a huge risk to the Lions but its a risk Mayhew is forced to take trying to extend Stafford to lower a cap hit that is a result of Mayhew's financial practices.

Mayhew has negotiated himself into a bad spot. We will know shortly how it turns out.
Not a poor practice. Big Ben's has been restructured a few times now as well. He has to restructure because he had a QB making more money than any player in NFL history before he started a game. If we don't restructure his last year we'd have been over the cap. That was without being any sort of player at all in FA.

I said I agree you are what you can get. But pride should go into somethings. I wouldn't want you just to send me money for nothing just because you gave it to me. I'd feel sick if my company was paying so much we were struggling to stay afloat. Especially since my position doesn't warrant it. Stafford's performance doesn't deserve to be the highest paid QB this year. You know that I know that Peyton Manning knows that.
_________________

Sig bet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25689
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Not sure how Stafford can sleep at night knowing on his rookie contract his is holding his team down by making more than any QB in the NFL despite having an average year or worse 3 outta his 4 years in the NFL.


He isn't the highest paid QB and Mayhew engineered this cap hit through restructures.
He has the highest cap hit in the NFL.

I am a firm believer in the free amrket. If he can get it then he earns it etc.. however I'd feel sick knowing I'm artificially making more money than any QB (Cap wise) the some of the bess of all time when I have had more than 20 TDs 1 time in my career.


He has the high cap hit because Mayhew keeps going to players to restructure contracts.

His salary is 12.5 million which is more then he's worth but as I mentioned the cap is Mayhew's fault not Staffords.

We could all sit around and say Stafford isn't the worth the money he is getting paid but its irrelevant because we all get paid what we can negotiate. In this situation Mayhew has negotiated the Lions into a horrendous cap hit.

Unless there's something in it for Stafford why should he sign an extension at this point?

Stafford has cooperated with Mayhew during his career and restructured every time he's been asked. The only way they are going to get him extended is to offer him top five money which he currently isn't worth.

Personally I think extending him now is a huge risk to the Lions but its a risk Mayhew is forced to take trying to extend Stafford to lower a cap hit that is a result of Mayhew's financial practices.

Mayhew has negotiated himself into a bad spot. We will know shortly how it turns out.
Not a poor practice. Big Ben's has been restructured a few times now as well. He has to restructure because he had a QB making more money than any player in NFL history before he started a game. If we don't restructure his last year we'd have been over the cap. That was without being any sort of player at all in FA.

I said I agree you are what you can get. But pride should go into somethings. I wouldn't want you just to send me money for nothing just because you gave it to me. I'd feel sick if my company was paying so much we were struggling to stay afloat. Especially since my position doesn't warrant it. Stafford's performance doesn't deserve to be the highest paid QB this year. You know that I know that Peyton Manning knows that.


I agree 100% that he's over paid.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group