You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Detroit Lions and Matthew Stafford's contract renegotiations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlande wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
From all the talk from Mayhew about re-signing Stafford as his top priority this offseason, I think a deal gets done. I hope it's not outrageous, but obviously, it's going to be alot of money because Stafford is a young franchise QB.

I'm not sure what one more season will prove one way or the other for Stafford. He had injuries his first two seasons, he's been healthy his last two. He led the Lions to the playoffs his first healthy season. He passed for 5,000 yds once and came close a second time. Youngest ever to do so. Calvin Johnson re-signed because Stafford is here to throw to him (his own words). Obviously, we want perenially playoff berths and hopefully some postseason wins in there. But it's not going to happen unless we lock him up long term.

I think we as Lions fans have dreamed of success for so long that we project all negative history onto current players. And it's unfair.

I understand and can't really disagree. I've had a lifetime of frustration being a Lions Fan.

Just today I was reading my season ticket renewal package. On the front cover it says,

" Be a part of the 2013 Detroit Lions and create memories at Ford Field that last a lifetime."

When I read that it saddened me. There aren't positive memories of this team since Barry retired.

While it may be unfair to hold this regime up and paint them with a brush discoloured by previous regimes and their failings its equally unfair entering the fifth season to continue expecting more than they've shown to date. In short they no longer deserve a blank slate.

At this point I'm not certain what to think of Stafford. I currently view him as a good young QB that has the potential to be a franchise QB but isn't there yet.

His contract negotiations are dangerous for this team. If they sign him long term it appears to me to get this years cap number down the signing bonus will have to be significant. If his development stalls or he doesn't improve the Lions hands will be tied because cutting him in the future would simply create to much dead money. Perhaps I'm wrong about the financials. If someone has a different read on it I would like to hear their ideas.

If they sign him long term it becomes imperative they fix the oline in an attempt to provide him adequate protection. Stafford needs a pocket and he needs an interior running game.

The Lions simply can't have a good QB for the contract Stafford will get. They need an elite QB and have to invest the resources to make sure that happens.

Last week I was called a cry baby on these forums because I'm negative. I am negative but I don't perceive that as being a cry baby.

Mayhew and company are entering the fifth season of their tenure and so far I'm not very impressed. Everyone is blaming the lack of a rookie salary cap for the Lions financial woes. That's only 1/2 the problem. Mayhew and Lewand have restructured contracts pushing the cap hit forward for short term relief. Alone that's manageable but not when you're signing everyone to short term deals that expire in the same year.

I've seen quarterbacks like Vick have a good season one year and then look like crud the next. The same goes for Carson Palmer. The Same goes for fill in the blank_______________.

I don't want to be negative but lets get this straight.

The Lions sucked this year. Time to get real guys. This isn't 2011.

I agree. This season was a huge failure. They regressed far beyond a mere setback. It was more of a collapse.

A number of fans are rationalizing or making excuses for the failure but that won't change the reality of where this team is. Mayhew has said he only has interest in 9 of the Lions 26 free agents. That's a huge admission of the inadequacies of a team he assembled.

They sucked last year and while improvement is certainly possible next season I'm certainly not expecting any miracles given the cap situation and Mayhew's draft history.

Sig by Smack

Team Stylish
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't give this current regime a free pass or blank slate. They had two seasons to acquire real NFL talent and build a core. Year 3 and on, is all on them. The last two seasons, they are 14-18 with one playoff appearance and some solid building blocks in place. Now they define which direction they will go in. Will they be the perennial playoff team with some postseason success? Or will they be a one year wonder who falls into mediocrity and eventual carousel of coaching changes? I'm unsure. I'm hoping for the first. But I'll give them the opportunity to sink or swim.

Maybe it's my glass half full disposition, but I don't see a roster up in the air and think failure. I see it and think they have a lot of different ways to continue building this team. The Lions will have 8 (including projected comp) draft picks and some wiggle room, after Stafford is re-signed, to make some moves in free agency. IMO, we have the key guys at the top positions. We have our franchise QB, who still happens to be quite young with tons of experience for his age. We have the best WR in the game. We have a dynamic duo at DT. We have solid guys at MLB, TE and RB. The positions we need the most help at, OL, DE and DB just so happen to be the deepest both in free agency and the draft.

We've lost some talent (Jahvid and Titus) that had defined roles for our team. Some may say the Lions misjudged talent, or wasted draft picks. I think they had a vision for our team, that obviously helped them in 2011 and hurt them when they lost it in 2012. Finding those complementary pieces will be easier since they have the key guys in place.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
I don't give this current regime a free pass or blank slate. They had two seasons to acquire real NFL talent and build a core. Year 3 and on, is all on them. The last two seasons, they are 14-18 with one playoff appearance and some solid building blocks in place. Now they define which direction they will go in. Will they be the perennial playoff team with some postseason success? Or will they be a one year wonder who falls into mediocrity and eventual carousel of coaching changes? I'm unsure. I'm hoping for the first. But I'll give them the opportunity to sink or swim.

Maybe it's my glass half full disposition, but I don't see a roster up in the air and think failure. I see it and think they have a lot of different ways to continue building this team. The Lions will have 8 (including projected comp) draft picks and some wiggle room, after Stafford is re-signed, to make some moves in free agency. IMO, we have the key guys at the top positions. We have our franchise QB, who still happens to be quite young with tons of experience for his age. We have the best WR in the game. We have a dynamic duo at DT. We have solid guys at MLB, TE and RB. The positions we need the most help at, OL, DE and DB just so happen to be the deepest both in free agency and the draft.

We've lost some talent (Jahvid and Titus) that had defined roles for our team. Some may say the Lions misjudged talent, or wasted draft picks. I think they had a vision for our team, that obviously helped them in 2011 and hurt them when they lost it in 2012. Finding those complementary pieces will be easier since they have the key guys in place.

Fair enough.

It's funny because I'm an extreme optimist in my life but not where the Lions are concerned. I'm definitely in show me mode because they really haven't given me any reason to be optimistic.

We just differ in our assessment of what Mayhew and Schwartz have done and the talent level of some prospects.

I already stated my thoughts on Stafford. You feel he is a franchise QB and I feel he is a good QB with the potential to be elite.

I agree with you that it appeared they had a vision for the team. Unfortunately I believe that vision induced them into taking unwarranted risks with Best and Young. It is what it is at this point but both players had major red flags that they chose to ignore. I don't think its wise for a team lacking talent to take major risk with high draft picks.

They are 14-19 (playoff loss included) over the last two seasons but they are also riding an eight game losing streak and saw a reduction in wins of six.

They have some key guys at the important positions. I agree they have the best WR in the game. They have a good QB with upside. They have two DT's but the position depth which allowed for frequent rotation appears to be gone.
They lack any effective DE's. They do have two capable running backs but they are pretty much one dimensional so the position is still a need.
TE is adequate. WR beyond CJ and Burleson is an unknown. With Houston unsigned they haven't a number 1 or 2 DB and.safety is arguably the biggest need on the team. The LB core is adequate, nothing more.

The oline is a huge question mark.

They do have eight draft picks and given the depth of this draft they may find four starters if they manage to overcome the temptation to disregard flags and draft quality character players.

When I look at the current roster I do see failure. A failure in cap management. A failure in talent evaluation combined with a mediocre draft history. I really don't know how it could be viewed any other way when Mayhew only wants to retain 9 of 26 ( some sources list 31) free agents. 26 free agents in one off season is pretty ridiculous. It's very difficult to manage a salary cap and create continuity when 1/2 the teams contracts expire the same year. If that isn't admitting failure and recognizing they went the wrong direction I'm not certain what it could be called.

It will be interesting to see if Stafford is willing to sign an extension. If he does it will create an interesting free agency period.

Sig by Smack

Team Stylish

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: