Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My crazy thought… but could I be on to something?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: My crazy thought… but could I be on to something? Reply with quote

Ok, hear me out here…

First, when you’re not picking in the top 10 of the NFL draft one of the ways for you as a franchise to land an elite prospect is for that guy to fall due to character or injury concerns.

Enter Alec Ogletree…

Anyone who watched the SEC championship this year between Alabama and Georgia clearly saw that in a game overflowing with NFL talent, Ogletree stood out above the rest. In that game, Ogletree displayed his elite skill set for the position and consistently ran down Alabama skill players with his sideline to sideline ability. In a time where media darling Manti Te’o is consistently hammered because of his performance against the Tide, Ogletree had maybe his best game.

In short, Alec Ogletree is clearly a top 10 talent in this upcoming draft… no one is denying that. The thing about this Georgia linebacker is his character concerns. Even after multiple run ins with trouble, Ogletree even landed himself a DUI a week before the biggest job interview of his life. In the case of the Saints, had Ogletree kept his hands clean off the field New Orleans would never had even had an opportunity at a player of his caliber. Based on pure talent, I always had Ogletree going to the Buffalo Bills with the 8th overall pick. After I factored in his character concerns I had him falling to the Denver Broncos at 27th overall.

Now there is some interesting information out there… Ogletree went on NFL network and when asked if any NFL coaches pressed him about his off the field incidents he began to explain how Saints linebackers coach Joe Vitt hammered him about his situation but left the interview feeling like Vitt actually really liked him.

Most will say, “No Biggie”… Just a team doing their due diligence and I agree but then I began to speculate. If the Saints truly weren’t interested, why bother? I understand you go through the process but in most cases with a player with character concerns, the team would likely just take the player off their board all together but the Saints clearly haven’t done that. They also know full well Ogletree won’t slip all the way to their 2nd round pick for obvious reasons (we have no selection) so they understand that if they want him it will be in the top round because I see no way he’s available in the 3rd.

At 6’3” 241lbs, Ogletree is an elite linebacking prospect with the frame to fill out more and is still learning the position (was a safety before) so his upside is tremendous. Due to his skill set and length, Ogletree is a coveted commodity in the NFL for his ability to not only tackle from sideline to sideline but his ability to cover backs and tight ends as well. The Saints need another linebacker with Ogletree’s skill set opposite Curtis Lofton on the interior of their defense to make up for Lofton’s weakness in this area.

The Saints realize that drafting Oglrtree has its risk but if Jonathan Vilma is brought back in a reserve role along with Will Smith, this team will have the veteran leadership Ogletree will need in order to help him mature in the NFL as a professional.

We all at one point or another wondered why the Saints would bother bringing Smith and Vilma back… why would they even want to. The excuse we kept hearing was because they value their leadership qualities on this club. Could they be looking to put those qualities to use with a risk like Ogletree? Why exactly did the Saints bring Georgia defensive Coordinator Todd Grantham in for an interview when it’s now been reported that Rob Ryan has had the job for some time? Could they have been doing further homework on a troubled but talented player and went right to the man that has molded him for the answers? Could the reason Vitt was so livid with Ogletree at the combine be because they were leaning toward him in the draft until his more recent DUI?

Yes, I know… this is all speculation but who knows, maybe it’s more than that!

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitler is going to go to the podium, "With the 15th pick, in the 2013 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select, Alec Ogletree, Linebacker,University of Georgia.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Hitler is going to go to the podium, "With the 15th pick, in the 2013 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select, Alec Ogletree, Linebacker,University of Georgia.

Spart... It would not suprise me one bit!

Personally I also see Ogletree as a perfect prospect to trade back maybe 5-6 picks to get a 2nd or a 3rd and still get him.

If they select him at 15 I wont be upset... knuckle head, YES! Top 10 talent with no injury concerns, YES!

If the Saints are comfortable with him character wise, I support the decision because he has the talent to warrent the 15th pick.

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Spart... It would not suprise me one bit!

Personally I also see Ogletree as a perfect prospect to trade back maybe 5-6 picks to get a 2nd or a 3rd and still get him.

If they select him at 15 I wont be upset... knuckle head, YES! Top 10 talent with no injury concerns, YES!

If the Saints are comfortable with him character wise, I support the decision because he has the talent to warrent the 15th pick.

I just don't see us trading down. I'd love to trade with C-Town but we never trade down. We always trade up/stay put.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last paragraph really got me thinking.. We brought in Grantham for an interview, but we didn't make it look like he lost the job to Rob. Instead he "backed out" and decided to stay at Georgia. Maybe it was a way to get Ryan and Grantham together at the same time to learn more about Ogletree, and see if he fits Ryan's scheme. Maybe we're looking into it a little too much lol, but just the thought of it really intrigues me. The NFL is a pass-first league, and there are very few backers in the league that can cover like 'Tree. He'd give us a much better matchup on TEs and backs coming out of the backfield. Payton is a guy that players fear and he doesn't take any bull****. If there's a coach that could straighten Ogletree's act, it's Sean. He'd love playing for Ryan, and I'm sure Ryan would love to have him. Him and Lofton would make one hell of a duo.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The NFL is a pass-first league, and there are very few backers in the league that can cover like 'Tree

This statement is spot on and is enough to warrent the top 15 selection... then you add to the fact that he is instinctive and VERY physical with upside. THe off the field issues are a problem but were talking about a top 10 talent here.

If Sean, Rob & Joe are willing to bet on him... so am I!

When was the last time we drafted a pro bowl talent at linebacker? Laughing

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:
The NFL is a pass-first league, and there are very few backers in the league that can cover like 'Tree

This statement is spot on and is enough to warrent the top 15 selection... then you add to the fact that he is instinctive and VERY physical with upside. THe off the field issues are a problem but were talking about a top 10 talent here.

You trust Vitt?

Go home worm..

You're drunk

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:

You trust Vitt?

Go home worm..

You're drunk

Not that I actually trust Vitt... more like I trust the decision Payton makes and more than likely if he signs off on Ogletree, Vitt would likley have a say so in it.

As far as just Vitt himself... not so sure bout that!

FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add this.. You know how there weren't any pass rushers we could excited about in this draft? Ogletree is a prospect I can really get excited about!

Adopt-a-Saint
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Just wanted to add this.. You know how there weren't any pass rushers we could excited about in this draft? Ogletree is a prospect I can really get excited about!

Me too. I'm tingling on the inside. Laughing

AlecOgletree2013Bandwagon

I'm riding it. Very Happy

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:

TruDat!

I mean look... outside this kids off the field issues we should have no busniess landing him at 15. Alot of people will say, "Stay Away" because of these issues and they may be right but without those issues he's gone by 15!

Buffalo at #8
New York at #9
San Diego at #11
Miami at #12
Tampa Bay at #13

All would have strongly considered him... and still might be!

The kid's that talented.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you right. Worm check yo PMs

Adopt-a-Saint
Raves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pimping taking Ogletree for awhile now and having Tez on the outside.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
I've been pimping taking Ogletree for awhile now and having Tez on the outside.

I just don't think Martez has the hips to be a pass rushing OLB, I mean, I definitely hope I'm wrong but the only success he's had has been rushing up the middle.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rewatched Ogletree in the SEC championship game. That tackle on the goal line tho!

Adopt-a-Saint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: