Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft question for Washington fans:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Draft question for Washington fans: Reply with quote

Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse, with your 2nd-rounder? Thoughts?
tyler735

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had him as a 4th/5th round pick for us now for quite some time. I wouldn't use a 2nd round on him, but depending on who is left in the 3rd I'd consider taking him there, and without a doubt would take him in the 4th. I would also consider trading a future draft pick and try to grab him late 3rd/early 4th. I want Rambo/Phillip Thomas in the 3rd currently, but would definitely like to have Shamarko playing next to either Rambo/Phillip Thomas. Could make for a very solid Safety tandem for years to come.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's a mid round pick. S Thomas Is a SS prospect, we need a FS and have needed one since Sean Taylor was killed. I'd take Thomas if he was sitting there for us in round 4, but in round 2 I'd like to see us get a FS prospect like Eric Reid or Rambo I'd Rambo's interviews and off the field problems check out.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
footy_29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very tempting if he was sitting there at our third round pick, but I would probably pass.

Due to needs, we are likely looking at a couple corners, or a corner and a FS on day two. Unless it's a player like Elam or Swearinger, I doubt the Redskins will be going with a SS.
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could depend on what we sign in FA.

I mean, if we go into the draft without hardly addressing CB's or Safeties, then there's a good chance we look at D-back in the 2nd rd.

But that may also depend on the outcome if this Capgate we seem to be involved with.
If we get even 1/2 of the 18M penalty back, I could see us making additions to the back of our Defense early.

There are some talent that will be available in free Agency as well as the draft.

I have a sneakin' suspicion we go either OT or front 7 on Defense with the 2nd rd Pick.
Just my opinion & suspicion.

I do not see us going CB/S or even WR with the 2nd rd pick

If I had to create a top 5 draft board on who we are targeting.
This would be it...

#1) OT Terron Armstead Arkansas-Pine Bluff or Kyle Long Oregon
#2) ILB Manti Te'o Notre Dame or Kevin Minter LSU
#3) DE Margus Hunt SMU (for DE & 4.62--40) dude is 6'8" 277 and did 38 bench (possibly Adam Carriker's replacement)
#4) DT/NT/DE John Jenkins Georgia or Brandon Williams Missouri Southern State
#5) TE Tyler Eifert Notre Dame or Zach Ertz Stanford (I put TE down because these 2 guys are studs & if we let Fred Davis walk & Cooley as well, which is very possible if not likely. We hope to keep Logan Paulsen, but he is a RFA. If someone offered him a deal we can't or won't match...we would lose him. So don't scoff at the possibility to targeting 1 of these 2 stud TE's.

I think it's unlikely...but not impossible.

Specially if TE Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame is still on the board at 51.
(he shouldn't be, but you never know)
Dude is 6'6" 250
and ran a 4.68 40

When NFL network asked him who he plays like...
He said Saints TE Jimmy Graham

But again..I think TE is a long shot, with the Corners and Safeties as well, that will be on the board.

But if we did go with Tyler Eifert to help RG3 down the middle.

I wouldn't be upset.
Dude is gonna be a stud.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw...I you probably noticed i didn't mention Niles Paul.

Honesly, I'm not sure he makes the team. But he is and has moved from WR to TE.

I actually wouldn't mind having both Logan Paulson & Tyler Eifert at TE.
Presuming we let Fred Davis walk & Cooley retires/unsigned.

Keep in mind guys...Logan Paulson is the only guy, that Shanahan did NOT inherit. (not counting Niles Paul, as he was moved from WR to TE)

and Logan was undrafted in 2010. Shanahan 1st yr.

It's quite possible, that Shanahan may want his fingerprints on a TE.
Whether we keep Logan Paulson or not.

Again...a lot is going to depend on free agency. who we sign and who we let go.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that we go with CB/S with 51. There is just too much depth not to take advantage. Elam, Cyprien if they fall, Swearinger, Thomas if they could fit, or grab CB like Poyer/Amerson.

If Eifert is there, I would say by all means grab him just on talent alone (I think he could be the next Jimmy Graham, and i would give our 2nd to the Saints to get him). But I think Eifert wont get past our 1st that StL has. That said - if there is a top 20 type player sitting there at 51, we have to take it.
mike23md

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daskins wrote:
I really hope that we go with CB/S with 51. There is just too much depth not to take advantage. Elam, Cyprien if they fall, Swearinger, Thomas if they could fit, or grab CB like Poyer/Amerson.

If Eifert is there, I would say by all means grab him just on talent alone (I think he could be the next Jimmy Graham, and i would give our 2nd to the Saints to get him). But I think Eifert wont get past our 1st that StL has. That said - if there is a top 20 type player sitting there at 51, we have to take it.

Guys, my guess, if we go with a FS is that its either Phillip Thomas or Bacarri Rambo.

If we decide to play that card in a later round look for Duke Williams.

They may want to address both S positions in which case I could see Swearinger and Rambo. (I would have a hard on for months if that happened).

That is of course if we address other areas in free agency.

This S class is too talented and too deep to not draft one especially cause of a need.

And on a side note, I want to stay away from Cyprien. He is a 4th rounder at best. He had a good week at the senior bowl but the hype has since left him. Just dont see him getting above the 4th.

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with mike and daskins on this. We'll go CB/S in round 2 unless someone falls inexplicably which is kind of where Ace was going. I'm not going to say it totally won't happen, but its a long shot those guys he mentioned Teo, minter, Jenkins and Eifert are there at 51.

As for his point about Niles Paul, I have to disagree. Last year was the 1st year Paul had to play TE, block that much on the end of the OL, and run TE pass patterns. They are both great special teams players, Paul is one of the best special teams players in the NFL.

Paul will be 24 in Aug, and Paulsen is only 26. My point is they are developing players, they are going to improve and in the next two years will reach their prime. Paul has a very high ceiling, higher than Paulsen's, they are good blockers (you can tell because we were 1st in rushing) and will get better at that and at receiving over the offseason. I see them both on the team for the next 5+ years.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tyler735

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
daskins wrote:

Guys, my guess, if we go with a FS is that its either Phillip Thomas or Bacarri Rambo.

If we decide to play that card in a later round look for Duke Williams.

They may want to address both S positions in which case I could see Swearinger and Rambo. (I would have a hard on for months if that happened).

That is of course if we address other areas in free agency.

This S class is too talented and too deep to not draft one especially cause of a need.

And on a side note, I want to stay away from Cyprien. He is a 4th rounder at best. He had a good week at the senior bowl but the hype has since left him. Just dont see him getting above the 4th.

My ideal situation is Rambo/Shamarko as our safety tandem, but my next pick would be Rambo/Swearinger. If we managed to get either of those tandems in the draft I would be right there with you for months Laughing
a2piece89

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft question for Washington fans: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse, with your 2nd-rounder? Thoughts?
Is Elam still on the board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: