Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft question for Cincy fans:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Draft question for Cincy fans: Reply with quote

Man..... -you guys are one TOUGH team to mock a pick for, this year. Who's getting mentioned the most at #21, as a possible selection?
I'll tell you who would look SICK in that offense; Tavon Austin, that's who.
BengalsEra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the names I see and hear the most t #21 are Kenny Vaccaro S out of Texas and Alec Ogletree ILB out of Georgia. I read on the bengals website that they are looking to resign Maualuga, and they have recently signed Aaron Maybin, another LB, so LB is looking like not a 1st round need. I personally believe that the Bengals will go bpa at 21 unless if it is a QB or DT. That is just my opinion though.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BengalsEra wrote:
To me, the names I see and hear the most t #21 are Kenny Vaccaro S out of Texas and Alec Ogletree ILB out of Georgia. I read on the bengals website that they are looking to resign Maualuga, and they have recently signed Aaron Maybin, another LB, so LB is looking like not a 1st round need. I personally believe that the Bengals will go bpa at 21 unless if it is a QB or DT. That is just my opinion though.

Would you be on board with a potential selection of Austin?
BengalsEra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you why I wouldn't want him, he isn't really a deep threat, and that is what the Bengals need. They have Hawkins, Sanu, Jones, and Gresham to work the short to intermeate routes. But, If he is bpa, I wouldn't be opposed. There would be so many mismatches if there was Austin, Sanu, Hawkins, and Green together. all 4 of them are super quick.

I really like Tavon Austin, he isn't nessesarily a need, even though the Bengals do need another WR, but if he is bpa, I wouldn't mind him being the pick.
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BengalsEra wrote:

I don't think signing Maybin changes the need at LB one bit. It's still a top priority. Given Lewis' penchant for targeting LB's early and often, i wouldn't be surprised if they draft one in rnd 1.

Suffering_Bills wrote:
Would you be on board with a potential selection of Austin?

I think the Bengals consider themselves pretty set at WR's. Not to say they won't draft one after round 2, but if they do it will be a move to replace Tate at returner.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin isn't tall enough to play outside in our sets. We have slot guys in spades, so I would pass on Austin. If we go WR, I could see Patterson (likely gone), Allen or Hunter in the first or Williams or Woods in the second.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the Bengals pick at 21:

The best combination of talent and need would be Vaccaro, but I'm not sure he makes it to 21, nor am I sold the Bengals value safety enough to take him if he's there.

Our needs are RB, S (Marvin likes them interchangeable) and OLB (some think WLB, I think SLB). We do not need ANYTHING bad enough to reach for it. Vaccaro is the only safety worth 21. Jarvis Jones is the only OLB worth 21 (if he's "healthy"). None of the RBs are worth 21.

Free agency I think could have a lot to say about who we draft. Our most consistently productive DE is a free agent. Our RT is a free agent. We have a lot of CBs that are free agents.

We also have some CBs that are getting old, and some with injury histories. Honestly I would not be at all surprised if a CB was the pick at 21. WR is also a possibility if a good one is there, but I think it would be an outside guy.

DT is not a need at all.

The Bengals do have some history of gambling on character risks, but lately they have confined that to later rounds, so I don't see Ogletree at 21.
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is we have a Austin clone in Andrew Hawkins. What we need is another #1 type receiver next to AJ Green. Patterson or Hunter would be good picks I think.

Our real needs are at SLB and SS. Depending on what we do with Andre Smith and Michael Johnson RT and DE could be big needs as well.

My guess is that they go OLB in the 1st, S and WR in the 2nd, and RB in the 3rd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
The problem is we have a Austin clone in Andrew Hawkins. What we need is another #1 type receiver next to AJ Green. Patterson or Hunter would be good picks I think.

Our real needs are at SLB and SS. Depending on what we do with Andre Smith and Michael Johnson RT and DE could be big needs as well.

My guess is that they go OLB in the 1st, S and WR in the 2nd, and RB in the 3rd

There is so much value at OLB in 2 and 3, and SLB only plays 50% of the defensive snaps. I don't see that as a first round value. Except maybe Jarvis.
ark23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin has talked a lot this offseason about how physical he wants to be on offense and how we need to improve in the run game. I really get the feeling Lacy will be the pick. There's a chance we trade down (if possible) and take Lacy in the second because he may fall there due to position value.

My guess is Lacy or Ogletree is the pick.
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
Marvin has talked a lot this offseason about how physical he wants to be on offense and how we need to improve in the run game. I really get the feeling Lacy will be the pick. There's a chance we trade down (if possible) and take Lacy in the second because he may fall there due to position value.

or offensive line...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
ark23 wrote:

or offensive line...

That was my other thought but where are we upgrading the offensive line? Wharton is coming back, we just added Zeitler and I'm assuming we are keeping Andre Smith. Really the only two spots that could be upgraded are center and OG.

There's a chance Cooper or Warmack falls to us, don't expect it though. And I think we'll be comfortable with Wharton and Boling at guard. But center may be the pick. I think Zeitler's teammate, Travis Frederick is a mauler in the run game and I think he's a serious candidate for the pick at 21.

I'd expect a mid round guard. We've shown interest in Garrett Gilkey out of Chadron State. I think he could be a guy we look at around the fifth round. Maybe an in state guy in Brian Winters.
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say there's no chance Travis Frederick is the Bengals first round pick. They gave Cook a good contract because they like him and Robinson played well in limited time last year. Boling can back up center too, so the Bengals aren't really candidates to take Frederick or Barrett Jones.
ark23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
I'd say there's no chance Travis Frederick is the Bengals first round pick. They gave Cook a good contract because they like him and Robinson played well in limited time last year. Boling can back up center too, so the Bengals aren't really candidates to take Frederick or Barrett Jones.
This was my initial thought process as well but Cook was a liability late in the season. I'd feel very comfortable playing Robinson however and like you mentioned Boling can play C if needed.

But Frederick isn't a guy who is only a center. He played offensive guard prior to this year and really fits what we do up front well. We could take him at Center or OG and really play him where we think we need him most.

I do agree it's a longshot. I think that we will take Ogletree or Lacy, but Frederick is a possibility.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
sparky151 wrote:
This was my initial thought process as well but Cook was a liability late in the season. I'd feel very comfortable playing Robinson however and like you mentioned Boling can play C if needed.

But Frederick isn't a guy who is only a center. He played offensive guard prior to this year and really fits what we do up front well. We could take him at Center or OG and really play him where we think we need him most.

I do agree it's a longshot. I think that we will take Ogletree or Lacy, but Frederick is a possibility.

Frederick may come into play at some point, but not day one. Cook was playing at 75% or so on that ankle. They wanted him in there against blitzing teams like Balt, Pii and Dallas. I could see the bengals ending up with BOTH Lacy and Ogletree, then go safety at the bottom of two and a 3rd down RB in the third or fourth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: