Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft question for Miami fans:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Draft question for Miami fans: Reply with quote

Xavier Rhodes at #12? Feasible?
Maddogg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In two words : No

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 2, Tackles 4 Assists 2

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 2 : Death 10 Joe 7
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:

Looks more like ONE word, my brother... Very Happy
Maddogg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

Looks more like ONE word, my brother... Very Happy

Its early morning humor to give those who haven't had their coffee yet a brain freeze.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 2, Tackles 4 Assists 2

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 2 : Death 10 Joe 7
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Draft question for Miami fans: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
Xavier Rhodes at #12? Feasible?

"Feasible", in the sense that it could happen? Sure. But I see a front7 guy or Patterson being the pick.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the idea that he is now the 2nd best CB in the draft and the fact that the position is an area of need....it could happen, but like other have said OL/DE are bigger needs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say DE is a bigger need. Not even close. Currently your starting CBs are Nolan Carroll and some guy picked up off waivers at the end of last year. No way on earth is DE a bigger need than CB.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
I wouldn't say DE is a bigger need. Not even close. Currently your starting CBs are Nolan Carroll and some guy picked up off waivers at the end of last year. No way on earth is DE a bigger need than CB.

The CB market in FA is much stronger then it is for DE.....The Dolphins only have one Pass Rushing DE on the Roster that is worth anything and he is 31...I say need in the sense that it would be a significantly better value to draft a DE then a CB that managed only 8 int's in 3 seasons...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't like Rhodes at all in the first. Milner is the only way I would take a first rd corner over DE/LT
-new question...I like banks a lot, even with a not so strong combine. With Rhodes and maybe even Trufont surpassing him do you think banks could fall to us in the second?? I know that's a huge drop of from last week but I guess iv seen crazier things
Warpticon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

The CB market in FA is much stronger then it is for DE.....The Dolphins only have one Pass Rushing DE on the Roster that is worth anything and he is 31...I say need in the sense that it would be a significantly better value to draft a DE then a CB that managed only 8 int's in 3 seasons...

Is it really? Michael Johnson, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Dwight Freeney, Anthony Spencer..are they really significantly worse than the free agent CB class, or even worse at all? Who are all these great CB options?

Even without a dedicated rushing DE opposite Wake, the Dolphins were still 7th in the league in sacks. They could use more pass rush ability, but they also have Vernon and possibly Shelby on the roster already to groom for the future. I'm not even against drafting a DE or anything, but to say DE is a bigger need then CB when we currently don't have a starting caliber CB on the roster is just blatantly wrong.

And lets be real, INTs are one of the absolute worst ways to evaluate CB play, especially when moving from one level to the next. They're rarely consistent from year to year, and only a very small percentage of players demonstrate a particular aptitude for picking off passes without also playing a super high-risk game. The number of picks Rhodes has is of next to no relevance, and it's not like 8 picks in 3 years is bad. Milliner had what, 6? Would you turn your nose up at him if he were somehow available?
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

Is it really? Michael Johnson, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Dwight Freeney, Anthony Spencer..are they really significantly worse than the free agent CB class, or even worse at all? Who are all these great CB options?

Even without a dedicated rushing DE opposite Wake, the Dolphins were still 7th in the league in sacks. They could use more pass rush ability, but they also have Vernon and possibly Shelby on the roster already to groom for the future. I'm not even against drafting a DE or anything, but to say DE is a bigger need then CB when we currently don't have a starting caliber CB on the roster is just blatantly wrong.

And lets be real, INTs are one of the absolute worst ways to evaluate CB play, especially when moving from one level to the next. They're rarely consistent from year to year, and only a very small percentage of players demonstrate a particular aptitude for picking off passes without also playing a super high-risk game. The number of picks Rhodes has is of next to no relevance, and it's not like 8 picks in 3 years is bad. Milliner had what, 6? Would you turn your nose up at him if he were somehow available?

So int's are the worse way of evaluating the measure of a CB, but sacks are the best way to evaluate a pass rush? Interesting....

While the sacks come, the pressure is not consistent....The Phins have a one DE (Odrick) playing out of position the other may have a few years left in the tank, but he's on the wrong side of 30 not to start addressing the position. I made the same argument in my mock about not even needing a DE, but the more I looked at the pressures and watched how inconsistent the team was at getting the QB I started to see how much it could impact them next season. After QB and LT the Edge Rushers is the NFL's most important position.

As for Milliner....Again I just don't value the CB position enough to see it worth the 12th overall. The team has drafted CBs in the first round and most end up being mediocre (Davis, Allen), the position is just too risky for that high of a pick.

Again I'm looking at need and value and what each position is worth and I personally feel that DE even with a solid D-line is still more important then CB. Again this is just personal preference and the needs will change once Free Agency is over...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say about half of the top FA's are shoe-ins to re-sign with their current team.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Warpticon wrote:

So int's are the worse way of evaluating the measure of a CB, but sacks are the best way to evaluate a pass rush? Interesting....

Kindly show me where I said that. I never said it's not a position of need. It's just nowhere near as major a need as CB is. We currently do not have a single starting quality cornerback on the roster. The DE situation may not be ideal, but it's not NOBODY. I wasn't even arguing that picking a DE at 12 is bad. I'm just saying DE is not a bigger need than CB.

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

While the sacks come, the pressure is not consistent....The Phins have a one DE (Odrick) playing out of position the other may have a few years left in the tank, but he's on the wrong side of 30 not to start addressing the position. I made the same argument in my mock about not even needing a DE, but the more I looked at the pressures and watched how inconsistent the team was at getting the QB I started to see how much it could impact them next season. After QB and LT the Edge Rushers is the NFL's most important position.

They can't start addressing it this year because they started last year when they picked Vernon. Another pick would be further addressing it, which is fine, but CB needs addressing as well.

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

As for Milliner....Again I just don't value the CB position enough to see it worth the 12th overall. The team has drafted CBs in the first round and most end up being mediocre (Davis, Allen), the position is just too risky for that high of a pick.

This applies to half the picks at any position by any team. Every position is a risk. There are tons of first round edge rushers who flame out too. At least most failed highly drafted corners make decent nickle or dime backs eventually. You don't not draft a position because you're afraid it might not work out. Otherwise you'd never draft anybody.
flood89

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree CB is a bigger need than DE, however at the 12 spot, the only CB i would take is Millner while there are more than 1 DE's I could see us taking.

There is no doubt CB is a much bigger need and stats prove it. We were actually 7th in the league in sacks last year with 42 sacks and I guarantee we get plenty more than that if we had any type of coverage. And I know you guys are talking about getting a pass rushing DE, however we were 27th in pass defense and 20th in rush defense. A lockdown CB would be great, but outside of Millner at 12 I don't really see it. If Banks or Rhodes fell to us in the 2nd I would be more than happy to jump on it.

Right now my pick is Cordarelle Patterson or trading back and getting Cooper. Either way should be a pretty interesting offseason for us, lot of cap space and lots of early draft picks. So ready for March 13th, LETS GO PHINS!!!
candyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure is feasible. While Miami´s DC Kevin Coyle was coaching DB´s in Cinci, CB was one of the most targeted positions in the draft, including 2 1st round corners (Hall, Joseph).

The position is a big need, bigger if they dont resign Sean Smith. Assuming that Millner will be picked before our turn (which will probably happen), a CB from the 2nd tier (Rhodes, Banks, Trufant) could be the pick.

IMO, Rhodes is the best corner from that tier, and i would be very happy if he was picked by the dolphins.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: