Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno Smith to Buffalo Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you support the idea of Buffalo Bills drafting Geno Smith at #8?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 28 ]
No
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
I'd rather draft another QB (T. Wilson, M. Barkley, M. Glennon, E. Manuel, R. Nassib, other)
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Keep Fitz & wait until 2014
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 38

Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
LeeEvans wrote:
I wonder what Marrone thinks about Geno. I work with a guy who went to WVU and he was saying Geno never beat Syracuse. I know it was not all his fault they didn't win but I wonder if that made an impression on Marrone that he still feels as the head coach of the Bills. It is probably unlikely, I just thought it was a pretty interesting point.

He had a good defensive gameplan and his D Co-ordinator (now Syracuse HC) always had great gameplans for matching up against WVU.

It wasn't Geno's fault they lost the Pinstripe bowl. It was the WVU lack of a defense, O-line, and running game that did it.

I hope Marrone is high on Geno and won't bring in Nassib too early because he's "his guy".

I read an article in January suggesting that Marrone would love to get his hands on Geno because he probably knows him the best out of the other HC in the NFL, and he not only knows what he does well but even better knows what he can't do well which would make it easy to design the Bills offense around his good qualities. Wish i could find that article..

I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.
Tk3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
Tk3 wrote:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9047220/nfl-where-buffalo-bills-turn-quarterback

This guy sums up my exact stance..

Do not reach for QB at 8.. Get best value there..

Get value QB in the 2nd..

Always get value.. Always..

And what if Buddy values Geno at 8?? and isn't it you every year that says if you take a QB is should be in the 1st, because 2nd rounders rarely pan out (into franchise guys) as well as developmental guys.

Yes I have said that..

The point I am making is that Geno is a 2nd round QB, who is forced into top 10 due to the fact that there are no top of the class QBs..

And this year is different, we have no choice but to take a QB at some point (only T-Jax on roster).. so why not wait around, get better value..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tk3 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
Tk3 wrote:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9047220/nfl-where-buffalo-bills-turn-quarterback

This guy sums up my exact stance..

Do not reach for QB at 8.. Get best value there..

Get value QB in the 2nd..

Always get value.. Always..

And what if Buddy values Geno at 8?? and isn't it you every year that says if you take a QB is should be in the 1st, because 2nd rounders rarely pan out (into franchise guys) as well as developmental guys.

Yes I have said that..

The point I am making is that Geno is a 2nd round QB, who is forced into top 10 due to the fact that there are no top of the class QBs..

And this year is different, we have no choice but to take a QB at some point (only T-Jax on roster).. so why not wait around, get better value..

Well I guess we'll have to completely disagree on Geno then, becuse for me at least, in no way is Geno being pushed up in the draft. He is better coming out of college then Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, Sanchez, and could even make an argument for Freeman when they came out to him coming out now and they were all 1st round picks.

People were just plain spoiled with having two "once in a lifetime QB's" go early last April. Newton was not a sure fire top pick either, he went up draft boards after his season ended, its the same [inappropriate/removed] that happens every year and its ridiculous. In two year people won't remember that Geno wasn't a "sexy" top 10 pick. Just like most don't remember Matty Ice was "reach" at 3.

We went from talking about Geno being first overall to KC, to him not having value at 8? C'mon man. He is has the potential of a franchise QB and is the best QB this draft, we should do whatever it takes to get him.

LeeEvans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know where I stand on Geno but I wouldn't be mad at drafting him. The thing I continually think when I hear analyst doubting him is how they were finding holes in RGIII and Luck last year and clearly they were such good choices. If people are finding holes in their game of course Geno isn't going to be perfect.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Always get value" works for teams that WIN, and HAVE a franchise level QB.

We need a QB, doesn't matter if it's not the best value, you pick the best one on the board at that time.

Here's hoping it's Geno.
NIKEJWN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports of Geno visiting with the Bills next weekend according to Chris Brown and some others I saw on Twitter. His pro day also went very well and completed 60-64 passes two were drops by Stedman Bailey. I guess he really impressed and seems to be a lock to go in the top 10 now according to some other notes I was reading.

Max's 2010 Annual Draft Contest Winner

Adopt a Bill 2011- SS George Wilson
CB Drayton Florence
NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Virginia Pro Day (3-14-2013)

Geno Smith, QB (Senior)

Quote:
03/14/13 - 2013 West Virginia Pro Day: Thursday's pro day was attended by 28 of 32 NFL teams. The Eagles worked out Smith earlier in the week and ran him through an unrehearsed, full-scale passing workout that exceeded 80 throws. Bills general manager Buddy Nix was present as were high-ranking reps for the Chiefs (No. 1), Jaguars (No. 2), Raiders (No. 3), Browns (6) and Cardinals (7), among others. Any team interested in Smith will want to see more, and get him out of the overpracticed routine he owned at the team's indoor practice facility Thursday. If he can replicate his pro day performance in that next phase of the predraft gauntlet after a solid showing at the scouting combine, Smith solidifies a spot in the top half of the first round. - Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange

03/14/13 - 2013 West Virginia Pro Day: West Virginia's campus was swimming with scouts Thursday. Quarterback Geno Smith and Tavon Austin were the star attractions. Smith showed a mastery of his 64-play scripted workout put together by his personal coach and former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke. He completed 60 of 64, with two drops by Stedman Bailey. Most impressive in the workout was his downfield touch and accuracy, zip on the move and balance throughout his compact release.
Smith's college playbook from the "Air Raid" system was mostly horizontal and crossing route dependent. Intermediate accuracy is his greatest strength. What evaluators need to see was whether Smith can throw on the move, maintain his balance and accuracy on rollouts and waggle design, and throw with zip while hitting targets at 25-plus yards and beyond. - Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Quote:
West Virginia QB Geno Smith confirmed a pre-draft visit with the Bills at his Pro Day on Thursday.

Bills GM Buddy Nix said he and his scouting staff would be taking a long, hard look at all the quarterback prospects in this year's draft class. He assured that they would be sure to get up close and personal with them at the NFL Combine, at their pro day or at One Bills Drive on a pre-draft visit. Nix, assistant GM Doug Whaley and Pro Personnel Director Tom Gibbons did just that Thursday as they were in attendance at the West Virginia pro day to watch QB Geno Smith. They’ll also be meeting with him again in a week’s time.

That according to Smith himself.

“I had a private workout on Monday that was with the Eagles that went well,” said Smith following his workout. “I’ve got something coming up with the Bills on the 22nd. As of right now I would expect between 10 to 12 (pre-draft visits), maybe more.”

Smith performed in front of a reported 29 NFL clubs Thursday on the Morgantown campus with several of his draft eligible college teammates.

“I feel as though I did a pretty good job of just being accurate with my throws,” said Smith. “I was 62 for 65, but I’ve got to improve. I’ve got to be 100 percent perfect. Overall I’ve had a fun time with this. I’ve always gotten good responses and really good feedback. I guess we’ll see where that goes on draft day.”

Playing in an offense that had him operate exclusively from the shotgun, Smith was asked to work under center by NFL scouts and coaches and obliged.

“They haven’t seen much of me under center, so it’s something that they all want to see, including myself,” said Smith. “I wanted to see how I would react to that. I just wanted to show that I was able to do a multitude of drops and hit a bunch of different route patterns in different areas of the field and be accurate and be able to move my feet and set up and kind of move around and do some things on the run. Just exhibit everything you would want to see from a quarterback on a pro day.”

Despite superior arm strength the West Virginia signal caller has been criticized for his deep ball accuracy. Smith believes he dispelled that criticism in his on campus workout, but feels his game tape says it all.

“The scouts and coaches don’t need to see me throw. They’ve seen it on tape. All the throws that you want to see are there,” he said. “The main thing is to get in the classroom with them. They understand who I am as a person, my background, my character. That’s really what they care about and the production and how well you were able to lead your team and the turnover ratio and the stuff that truly matters on Sundays.”

Bills GM Buddy Nix and his personnel staff have been tireless in their efforts to nail down every last detail of each top quarterback’s skill set and personality makeup.

“There will be one or two quarterbacks in this group that will rise to the top,” Nix said. “I think there’s enough talent for that to happen. The key is figuring out which one of those two that it is.”

Nix has already attended Syracuse’s pro day to watch Ryan Nassib. On Friday he’ll be at the Arkansas pro day to watch prospect Tyler Wilson throw.

“What it comes down to is each team’s evaluation of each guy,” said Nix. “What they’re looking for. We’ve got our grades that we’ve compiled and we know where they are right now.”

Nix has said there are “six or seven” quarterback prospects in this year’s draft class with attractive qualities.

“We’ve just got to decide who will best fit what we want and where to take him,” Nix said. “We’ll try not to reach for guys. We’ll go with the integrity of the board.”

^Added to the original post.

Geno coming for a visit next Friday, confirmed by the Buffalo Bills after an impressive pro day.

jracesBillsFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith will not be there at #8 when the Bills pick, either the Eagles or Cards will pick him. If the Bills want him they are going to have to move up, with only 6 draft picks I don't see that happening.
NIKEJWN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jracesBillsFan wrote:
Smith will not be there at #8 when the Bills pick, either the Eagles or Cards will pick him. If the Bills want him they are going to have to move up, with only 6 draft picks I don't see that happening.

Out of all the teams picking ahead of us the Eagles common man. The Lions and the Eagles are the two teams I am the least worried about. Vick, Foles and Dixon already on the roster they will add to the defense or Oline in my opinion.

Max's 2010 Annual Draft Contest Winner

Adopt a Bill 2011- SS George Wilson
CB Drayton Florence
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKEJWN wrote:
jracesBillsFan wrote:

Out of all the teams picking ahead of us the Eagles common man. The Lions and the Eagles are the two teams I am the least worried about. Vick, Foles and Dixon already on the roster they will add to the defense or Oline in my opinion.

And the Cards seem pretty keen to let Stanton and Hoyer battle it out. Not saying they won't draft a QB, but with all their needs including the o-line i doubt they take 1 t 7. Raiders are a real possibility..if Palmer is cut.

jracesBillsFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKEJWN wrote:
jracesBillsFan wrote:

Vick signed a one year deal, Dixon is a career back up with little experience and Foles doesn't fit the type of QB that Kelly usually has running his offense. I think with a new coach coming in he is going to want to get "his guy" to run the offense.
jracesBillsFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
NIKEJWN wrote:
jracesBillsFan wrote:

And the Cards seem pretty keen to let Stanton and Hoyer battle it out. Not saying they won't draft a QB, but with all their needs including the o-line i doubt they take 1 t 7. Raiders are a real possibility..if Palmer is cut.

I just don't see Andy Reid having two career backup QBs battling it out for the starter role his first season with his new team, if thats his plan he might as well sign Fitzpatrick as well. Reid is starting over with a new team and needs a QB to start fresh with, Smith, especially after his pro-day is the best available QB in this years draft and IMO will be taken before the Bills are on the clock. Raiders are possible as well if Palmer is cut but I was basing my first post on who is on current rosters now.
NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jracesBillsFan wrote:
NIKEJWN wrote:
jracesBillsFan wrote:

Vick signed a one year deal, Dixon is a career back up with little experience and Foles doesn't fit the type of QB that Kelly usually has running his offense. I think with a new coach coming in he is going to want to get "his guy" to run the offense.

But if he wanted "his guy" he wouldn't have agreed to resign Vick or sign Dixon when he already had Foles. The Eagles have bigger holes to fill than draft a 4th QB.

The only teams to worry about are Arizona and Oakland. Arizona needs offensive line help before they put anyone at QB.

NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jracesBillsFan wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
NIKEJWN wrote:
jracesBillsFan wrote:

I just don't see Andy Reid having two career backup QBs battling it out for the starter role his first season with his new team, if thats his plan he might as well sign Fitzpatrick as well. Reid is starting over with a new team and needs a QB to start fresh with, Smith, especially after his pro-day is the best available QB in this years draft and IMO will be taken before the Bills are on the clock. Raiders are possible as well if Palmer is cut but I was basing my first post on who is on current rosters now.

There is no way in hell Reid goes QB with the first pick. They gave up a 2nd for Alex smith. He would get fired ASAP for drafting Geno.

Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickChowaniec wrote:
jracesBillsFan wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
NIKEJWN wrote:
jracesBillsFan wrote:

There is no way in hell Reid goes QB with the first pick. They gave up a 2nd for Alex smith. He would get fired ASAP for drafting Geno.

I'm really confused as to what the heck jracesBillsFan is talking about. I talked about the Cards signing Stanton and having Hoyer. Then he goes on about how Reid won't go with two career backups. Not sure if he thinks Red is the HC of Arizona or what.. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: