Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marques Colston & Ben Grubbs restructure their contracts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, seeing how much a Rob Ryan scheme needs competent DB's, wouldn't surprise me to see us spend some dough on some DB free agents.

The CB class in particular is solid. Sean Smith, Talib(I guess), DRC and even Cary Williams.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
Honestly, seeing how much a Rob Ryan scheme needs competent DB's, wouldn't surprise me to see us spend some dough on some DB free agents.

The CB class in particular is solid. Sean Smith, Talib(I guess), DRC and even Cary Williams.

Sean Smith: One of the WORST coverage corners in the leauge. (Numbers back this up)
Aquib Talib: umm NO THANKS!
DRC: See Aquib Talib...
Cary Williams: THUG

Sorry, those are my honest assesments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this Vilma and smith are wanted around. Grubbs,Colston,Evans and Hawthorne restructure contracts.

Maybe its me, but I havent heard much about Harpers future with the Saints. I have a feeling he gets traded to the titans for their 3rd(70) pick or 4th(104)
tylerdouglass

whodatworm23 wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

Sean Smith: One of the WORST coverage corners in the leauge. (Numbers back this up)

Out side of Sean Smith, those aren't assessments.

navysaintsfan wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
navysaintsfan wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
And Jahri Evans. Good lord almighty Mickey Loomis is not messing around Shocked

...They have to be planning a splash type signing. I am willing to bet they are targeting someone we are not expecting since we thought we likely would be strapped.

I agree with you NavyMan... I think many will automatically think Spencer but knowing how this franchise operates I would put my money on the Saints throwing a big contract at the young and emerging Kruger.

Then targeting a corner like Rhodes or safety like Vaccaro in the draft.

I would love getting Ruger, keeping Galette signed with us, Wilson at ILB, adding Vacarro to the backfield...although I wonder what we would then do with Jenkins. Back to CB if that happens?

No no... Vaccaro to SS in Ryan's scheme. His actual playing weight at Texas was closer to 220 and he's physical in run support and a solid tackler. Vaccaro does possess very good coverage ability for a safety but his value is so high due to his versatility to play either SS, FS or Nickel corner in ceartin packages.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

True, Laughing

I don't trust Talib for the price he would cost, DRC I was never a fan of I feel he is extremly overrated and is one of the softest corners in the leauge, Williams is ok I guess but for how much and will his thugish attitude really fit in this locker room?

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

True, Laughing

I don't trust Talib for the price he would cost, DRC I was never a fan of I feel he is extremly overrated and is one of the softest corners in the leauge, Williams is ok I guess but for how much and will his thugish attitude really fit in this locker room?

I agree with you on the first three. But if Cary wanted to play here for a reasonable price, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Curious, what thuggish behavior are you referencing?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind Cary Williams, as long as the price isn't too high. Worm's probably referring to the way Williams pushed the ref in the SB and how he's always in WRs' faces, but we might actually need some of that on this defense. Aside from the ref pushing, obviously. Him and Keenan Lewis are my two favorite CBs on the market.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

True, Laughing

I agree with you on the first three. But if Cary wanted to play here for a reasonable price, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Curious, what thuggish behavior are you referencing?

Long history of it dating back to early days at Miami... I like Cary and do feel he'd be a ok fit but I also feel he gives up more plays than he makes.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickey doing work!!!

Evans and Hawthorne restructured too...

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/

Quote:
The Saints restructured RG Jahri Evans' contract, slashing his base salary from $7.2 million to "roughly" $3 million.
As is typical, the missing $4.2 million in salary should be turned into a "signing bonus" that pro-rates over the final four years of Evans' deal. It frees up roughly $3 million in 2013 cap space

Quote:
The Saints restructured ILB David Hawthorne's contract, turning his $3 million roster bonus into a signing bonus.
The move allows the $3 million to be pro-rated over the final four years of Hawthorne's deal instead of going exclusively on the 2013 cap. It frees up $2.05 million in cap space. Hawthorne will move from weak-side to inside linebacker in the Saints' new 3-4 defense. He's not likely to be a strong IDP option

Also drops this nugget too...

Quote:
CBS reports the Saints have offered LB Jonathan Vilma and DE Will Smith "lesser deals to stay."
Neither Vilma ($5.9 million) nor Smith ($10 million) had a prayer of remaining at their currently scheduled salaries, but it's interesting the Saints are giving them a chance to stay at all. Both players are on the wrong side of 30, and poor fits for the Saints' new 3-4 defense. There's still a good chance each moves on.

Looks like a take it or your outta here deal!

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really disagree with a lot of your ratings on those free agent CB's, but to move the conversation along another one to consider might be Aso.

Potentially cut by the Eagles, IIRC, Ryan's scheme would suit him.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
I really disagree with a lot of your ratings on those free agent CB's, but to move the conversation along another one to consider might be Aso.

Potentially cut by the Eagles, IIRC, Ryan's scheme would suit him.

I really like Derek Cox from Jacksonville, I understand he's had injury concerns but he's still a good man cover corner who is a physical run defender. Very young with big upside.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know after all the restructures where the Saints stand with the cap right now?

krewebrees

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Anyone know after all the restructures where the Saints stand with the cap right now?

My math puts us about 1.2 million still over the cap.

Adopt a Saint 2013
Malcolm Jenkins: 71 tckl, 3 PDef, 2 int, 2 ff, 2.5 sck
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the bums, clear up another 15 mil. Trade Hatper, bam another 7 mil off, that would put us 21 mil under. Definitely think we are targeting some DBs and maybe a Kreuger/Spencer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: