Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ponder-iffic or Ponder-errible? the 2013 Pre-Season Debate.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Ponder-iffic or Ponder-errible? the 2013 Pre-Season Debate. Reply with quote

Brian Billick: "I think it's time to start holding Christian Ponder accountable. But only if they give him the proper weapons. Percy Harvin is a heck of a weapon. And when he was healthy, he was a great way to go. They don't have that big shot down the field. They were hoping Jerome Simpson could be that. They don't have that. That's got to be a top priority. For me, I've got to come out with a big play weapon down the field."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/193332151.html

it's been way too quiet on the FF Viking forum as to Ponder's ability and opportunity to be our long term starting QB. i say let the debate rage on, yet another year!

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Last edited by vike daddy on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
VikeSince70

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Ponder when all is said and done will be an above average QB (B) grade wise. I see Ponder doing good things if he has a strong supporting cast of players surrounding him BUT, I do not believe he will be a superstar. Ponder will have 2-3 years where he may flirt with playing with the big boys but will fall back down to the B grade.

This of course is a subjective view point because of the fluid nature of the situation. Many things will contribute to Ponder's success or lack thereof. I do not see an above average grade as a negative with Ponder as there are maybe 5-10 QB's at any given year that played at a true superstar level. Playing QB in the NFL is probably one of the toughest jobs one could have.

I do believe that Spielman will continue to have solid drafts and Ponder will get those pieces.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of factors here:

1. Continuity of the offensive line

Essentially having the same offensive line, and a potential upgrade at LG will be crucial to his success and confidence. Another year under Jeff Davidson will help the development here.

2. A full year of experience under his belt

Ponder now has the experience and game-tape to reflect on as he moves forward. He showed flashes of accurate passing with adequate zip last year. Now that the "pressure" is somewhat off of him, maybe he can focus on the positives of his performance and fix negatives from last year.

3. Continue to surround Ponder with weapons, namely wide receivers that can get separation and go up and catch balls

Potentially two of the three following options:

-Resign Harvin
-Sign Greg Jennings
-Draft two receivers (e.g. Justin Hunter, Quinton Patton, and/or Deandre Hopkins)

4. A fully revived Purple Jesus (affecting the play-action game and stacking the box)

Enough said...

5. Can Musgrave and Co. open up the offense and become more creative and adaptive with pass plays and play-calling in general?

The play-calling certainly got better towards the end of the season, particularly when Percy Harvin was out. However, if Percy is back, and in general, Musgrave and Co. need to be able to effectively utilize the skill sets on our offense. We need to move Kyle Rudolph around and keep him involved. We should also run more intermediate and crossing routes. Also, there is no reason why we shouldn't have a brilliant play-action game.

Above and beyond these factors, I think Ponder has the IQ and physical tools to be our QBOTF, but can he put it all together this year in such a way that his decision-making and progression becomes more accurate, decisive, and quick? He is a very underrated runner, and that gives him that X-factor, but hopefully he works on his natural tendency to roll to the right (which could simply be the play-calling), in order to be a more balanced pocket quarterback. Overall, if the above factors play out well this year, I have no doubt that he (and AP) can lead us back to the playoffs.

SKOL Vikings!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder - inconsistent is the best word to describe last year. Ponder generally played great the first four games and the last four games, but the 8 weeks in between were largely inconsistent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in Ponder one little bit, I will however hope he enjoys a lot of success and essentially eat my words.

No QB in the NFL's job is easier than Christian Ponder. Opposing teams could care less who we have at WR as they are focusing on stopping AP first. Opposing teams put 8 or 9 men in the box more often against the Vikings than any other team. Christian has yet to even have to deal with fitting a ball into any type of window as his receivers don't see double coverage, he makes his throws look A LOT harder than they actually are & personally it's just time to move on, too bad I don't believe that will happen until next season.

Now with that said hopefully I'm wrong and Ponder lights the world on fire, it would only mean great things for our Vikings
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to give him a legitimate WR group before we can judge him.

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OL argument is trash. Granted their were times he faced some pressure up the middle. For the most part he had very good pockets around him. He has a run/bootleg first mentality. He looked scared s-less in the pocket. Reminds me a lot of Jackson.

I'm some what reluctant to listen to the WR argument. Outside of Wayne, Luck did very well with the wrs around him. I'm on the mindset that qbs make the wrs, and not the other way around. That said, the talent wasn't their this year. Harvin acted like he didn't care toward the end of the season. We were depleted with injuries in TC. I think grabbing bowe or Wallace and drafting a guy like hunter or Hopkins to go along with Harvin and Rudolph will tell the tale.

He's isn't accurate past 20 yards. He can't put it where the receiver can make a play. His arm strength is questionable as I believe the two correlate.

The play book is also not wide open because the coaching staff does not trust him. I would be surprised if any of our top guys trust him to lead this team and be successful. For a guy with 2 master degrees, you would think he could digest a play book. He tends to look just lost at times.

My biggest problem with ponder is he has 0 fire. He looks like Jackson when he's losing. He sits on the bench and sips his water looking at plays. No passion what so ever. Always has the melancholy face. Drives me up a wall. Your down in a close game, and you look like you don't give a damn?

He's Alex smith minus the 2 2nd round picks.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
[UMN]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we will have a much better picture as to the future of the franchise after this year.

either Ponder will be the guy or it will be the time to sell the house for a top QB prospect.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
we will have a much better picture as to the future of the franchise after this year.

either Ponder will be the guy or it will be the time to sell the house for a top QB prospect.

Agreed, this year is make or break for Ponder. By year three, you should have a decent indication to what you have under center. If Ponder doesnt make considerable strides in 2013, he wont be given the job in 2014.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
He's isn't accurate past 20 yards. He can't put it where the receiver can make a play. His arm strength is questionable as I believe the two correlate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HBQhXSTAOU

50 yards in the air. put it right in the receiver's hands.

Troy Aikman: "Christian Ponder lays this ball out beautifully."

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget which talking head it was, but they were saying Ponder's issues have nothing to do with arm strength. When he actually steps into a ball he can rip it. He won't ever be confused for being Jay Cutler, but few people are in that class.

Ponder's issues stem from footwork, still.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I forget which talking head it was, but they were saying Ponder's issues have nothing to do with arm strength. When he actually steps into a ball he can rip it. He won't ever be confused for being Jay Cutler, but few people are in that class.

from what I can see almost all of Ponder's issues are footwork related. He gets too jittery in the pocket and either rolls out or throws off-balance. If he can calm down, step up into the pocket, set his feet and throw, I think he will be a great QB. Every once in a while he will make a boneheaded decision, but in general he makes good decisions. He just needs to keep his eyes downfield and set his feet.

Someone like Warmack or Cooper at LG could really help that along......
HighHopes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder was fairly underwhelming last year most of the time, but the few games where he looked good (even if his stats looked average) gave me hope. Last year though, no more excuses unless every receiver gets injured or something lol
vikings209

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

Brian Billick said it. In that same article he said the Vikings need to hold Ponder accountable as long as they get him some weapons. Which everyone has said he needs more weapons. Ponder will be a good but not great qb in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing I like the most Ponder seems to up it a notch in the clutch, various examples prove this. This is why if he's a good QB who can come through when we need him we're set.

#TankItTeddy

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 1 of 100

Jump to: