Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno Smith Possibility?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
I suppose if you're going to count bringin in a FA like Jordan Palmer/John Parker Wilson/Farmer Bouman/etc. type to 'compete', then that's entirely likely. But those are camp fodder as far as i'm concerned. Not really a significant 'competitor' for the starting job.

I'm not. I don't know what he envisions, but it sounds like he and Gus are serious about having competition throughout the whole roster and not handing out roster spots/starting jobs. What I get from that is that there will be less guys that are brought in just to be "camp bodies"

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
dswinton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our biggest need at 33 is a DB. We have alot of guys who we can plug in at RT, but how many guys can we plug in at DB. Now I would love Tavon but that wouldn't be the best move considering that we play Luck and Schaub 2 times a year. I just believe that Menelik Watson would be there in the 3rd. We all believe that Mathis gets released and you never know what Cox might do so it'll be Trufant/Banks. Now i'm hoping we take Geno and just let Babin and Branch do the Leo. But as far as taking DEs I'm not fan of either one but I would rather have Dion than Mingo. I watched Mingo alot I never seem him dominate IMO. I don't know if yall familiar with the NBA but to me its just like Chicago taking a franchise PG in D Rose than Beasley and we all know how that turned out. When rebuilding take your franchise player if available.

"Thanks for the great sig MoJo122-b-21, one of the best alive".
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
I think our biggest need at 33 is a DB. We have alot of guys who we can plug in at RT, but how many guys can we plug in at DB. Now I would love Tavon but that wouldn't be the best move considering that we play Luck and Schaub 2 times a year. I just believe that Menelik Watson would be there in the 3rd. We all believe that Mathis gets released and you never know what Cox might do so it'll be Trufant/Banks. Now i'm hoping we take Geno and just let Babin and Branch do the Leo. But as far as taking DEs I'm not fan of either one but I would rather have Dion than Mingo. I watched Mingo alot I never seem him dominate IMO. I don't know if yall familiar with the NBA but to me its just like Chicago taking a franchise PG in D Rose than Beasley and we all know how that turned out. When rebuilding take your franchise player if available.
A lot of guys who we can plug at RT? Like who? I can think of two, and neither are ideal by any means.

If you've watched a lot of Mingo and never seen him dominate, you haven't watched enough of him. Watch the Clemson game. If that isn't dominating, I'm not sure any d-lineman has ever dominated. Also, Mingo was asked to play contain for the entirety of his Senior season. The fact that he was as active as he was within that role was incredible.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
dswinton wrote:
A lot of guys who we can plug at RT? Like who? I can think of two, and neither are ideal by any means.

If you've watched a lot of Mingo and never seen him dominate, you haven't watched enough of him. Watch the Clemson game. If that isn't dominating, I'm not sure any d-lineman has ever dominated. Also, Mingo was asked to play contain for the entirety of his Senior season. The fact that he was as active as he was within that role was incredible.

While i agree that Clemson game was a dominant effort from Mingo. That's definitely the kind of thing that draws some serious attention...

I think it's still a legitimate concern that he has ONE dominant tape from his pre-draft season. And it came against a team in Clemson whose offensive line seemed to have some real problems against strong teams from what i've seen.

Not that Mingo isn't a really intriguing prospect. But i think it's entirely fair to have some reservations about his 'one great game'. We're talking #2 overall here. imo Mingo is definitely a 'swing for the fences' type pick at that spot...it could look outstanding, but you can't deny there is a significant risk/bust/disappointment factor there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, who isn't a big risk at #2?

edit: Out of those who are realistic possibilities.

iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:
dswinton wrote:

While i agree that Clemson game was a dominant effort from Mingo. That's definitely the kind of thing that draws some serious attention...

I think it's still a legitimate concern that he has ONE dominant tape from his pre-draft season. And it came against a team in Clemson whose offensive line seemed to have some real problems against strong teams from what i've seen.

Not that Mingo isn't a really intriguing prospect. But i think it's entirely fair to have some reservations about his 'one great game'. We're talking #2 overall here. imo Mingo is definitely a 'swing for the fences' type pick at that spot...it could look outstanding, but you can't deny there is a significant risk/bust/disappointment factor there.
I was more speaking to the absolute nature of him never dominating.

The biggest issue with Mingo is the lack of tape as a pass rusher. If you watch all of his tape from this year, the Clemson game was really the only one where he wasn't in a contain role, and he happened to have a monster game. He had some good times as a Junior, but that was in a limited role as well. He has all the measurables you want in a pass rusher, he's fast, has the quick start motor, has great lateral quickness, a good set of moves, and he's got strength. I definitely understand the reservations for him with the lack of number of big games though. I know someone who recently asked something to the effect of "will he be Aldon Smith or will he be Vernon Gholston" and I think it's a fair question. I just think claiming that he has never dominated, while comparing him to Michael Beasley is incredibly far off base.

- Best since day one -
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
To be fair, who isn't a big risk at #2?

edit: Out of those who are realistic possibilities.

Yeah, exactly. This draft is...sucky, really.

Mingo may well be the best pick. But that doesn't mean there aren't some serious reservations there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Jags don't improve their QB situation they will be front runners in the Clowney sweepstakes.

I think that I trade back a few spots and grab Geno. That could secure an extra 2nd/3rd rounder which would be awesome. And if there isn't a trade partner...I am still selecting Geno. Then I would draft Jamie Collins in the 2nd round. He could play either LEO or OLB.

If the Jags are unfortunately to be in the position to get Clowney next year...you would have Clowney at LEO/RDE and Collins at OLB. And you would still have Geno at QB. I honestly don't see a huge drop off from Bridgewater to Geno.

You have your franchise QB and a beastly pass rush.
Louisianajagfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the biggest Gabbert supporter but for the sake of conversation what if we draft Geno @ 2 and wind up with a Brees-Rivers situation. If Gabbert beats him out and improves enough to keep the job long term?
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louisianajagfan wrote:
I'm not the biggest Gabbert supporter but for the sake of conversation what if we draft Geno @ 2 and wind up with a Brees-Rivers situation. If Gabbert beats him out and improves enough to keep the job long term?
It would depend on how much he improved. If you're talking top 10 type production, then you keep Gabbert. He's only a year older than Geno, Brees was nearly 3 years older than Rivers.

That's really a situation you don't want to be in though. Teams probably aren't going to cough up a first rounder as compensation for Geno at that point, unless he gets some playing time and really shines. And in that situation, we'd be the team that passed up on a Larry Fitzgerald for a player that we didn't need. That would sting for a while, especially if the Fitz-type player ends up being a pass rusher, which we desperately need.

I guess that you could argue that if Geno shows as much as Gabbert, or similar numbers, you keep him so you're on a cheap contract for longer. And I certainly agree with that philosophy to an extent, but I think with Geno being viewed as a risk of sorts, you don't just hand it over to him after letting Gabbert walk.

Ideally, you get playing time for both, decide who is better, and you trade the other to a team that is sold on that one being better for a boatload of picks.

- Best since day one -
dswinton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Mingo played good against Clem. But he still didn't dominate the SEC offense lines like I seen Jarvis and Damontre. I watched Mingo vs TAMU and ALA he did nothing. I also see that his miss alot of tackles on QBs and RBs what good is that speed if you can't bring the guy down. What is his official height and weight because he is not that big he is a LB only and if we going to allow LB only to play the Leo I think Athur Brown is a better choice.

dswinton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think that Damontre Moore is the best fit all you gotta do is get him stronger. I also think that Werner would be like Kerrigan as a Leo but Gus wants a certain size.

iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
Yea Mingo played good against Clem. But he still didn't dominate the SEC offense lines like I seen Jarvis and Damontre. I watched Mingo vs TAMU and ALA he did nothing. I also see that his miss alot of tackles on QBs and RBs what good is that speed if you can't bring the guy down. What is his official height and weight because he is not that big he is a LB only and if we going to allow LB only to play the Leo I think Athur Brown is a better choice.
Again, he was asked to play contain. You do not get sacks playing contain.

And Arthur Brown as a LEO is a horrible idea. The only thing Brown isn't great at is pass rushing, why would you put him in a role as a pass rusher who would be essentially a fourth s-lineman? He can play any of the three LB positions in a 4-3, he cannot play LEO.

- Best since day one -
dswinton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta remember that Gus wants someone who can play LB and DE Mingo can't play DE in the NFL.

Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
You gotta remember that Gus wants someone who can play LB and DE Mingo can't play DE in the NFL.

Mingo fits the LEO role.

Arthur Brown doesn't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 6 of 21

Jump to: