Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno Smith Possibility?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conrad Buff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Geno Smith Possibility? Reply with quote

Well the Chiefs trade for Alex Smith. Do you think that consequently leads to the Jaguars drafting Geno Smith?

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly makes it more possible than what we thought before, but I question what the Chiefs (with "QB guru" Andy Reid) chose to give up as much as they did for Alex Smith, rather than draft Geno. There's certainly been a lot of knocks on Geno, and this choice continues to validate them.

Of course, you could say the same thing about someone like Matt Ryan, who had many of the same knocks that kept him from going to the QB needy Dolphins, who opted to draft Chad Henne later.

I'm kinda leaning towards this still meaning that we don't draft one in the first round. The staff seems to think Gabbert is as good as most of these prospects, so drafting one so early isn't a great idea. Especially when the clear need for a pass rusher is waiting to be filled by any number of the prospects.

This, however, could be great as we see all the QB prospects drop a QB needy team lower.This would mean that we could see a mid-round 1st guy staring at us in the face when 33 or 64 comes up. Either we get a QB or have a lot of leverage for a team to trade up like the Jets.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This changes nothing for me.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Tugboat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't like him at #2. Too many questionmarks for me, and some big ones at that. So this doesn't really change anything for me in that regard.

It does however, make me a bit more hopeful that we might be able to swing a trade-back with a QB-needy team that does really like Geno. Though it's still a bit of a longshot probably, unless someone really feels the need to leapfrog the Raiders or Eagles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With the second pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Gene Smith, Former GM out of Jacksonville Florida."

Dave Caldwell: "It's a typo! It's a typo!!! GOODELL PLS"

Geno is too risky.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We aren't picking him and he wouldn't be a very good pick.

I hate the Jaguars
Conrad Buff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I honestly didn't think it was a possibility for us to be in this position because I was convinced that KC was going to draft him. Now that circumstances have led me to believe that Geno will be available I can't say I'm opposed to the idea. With Gabbert's first two years of below-average play I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we did.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Buff wrote:
Well I honestly didn't think it was a possibility for us to be in this position because I was convinced that KC was going to draft him. Now that circumstances have led me to believe that Geno will be available I can't say I'm opposed to the idea. With Gabbert's first two years of below-average play I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we did.

My problem with that is, that what Gabbert has done shouldn't really impact the evaluation of how good Geno is or how we value him. And when you ignore the fact that Gabbert has disappointed...and just isolate Geno Smith as a prospect, i don't like him as the pick at #2.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
Conrad Buff wrote:

My problem with that is, that what Gabbert has done shouldn't really impact the evaluation of how good Geno is or how we value him. And when you ignore the fact that Gabbert has disappointed...and just isolate Geno Smith as a prospect, i don't like him as the pick at #2.

I see what you're saying but I think you slightly misunderstood me. I'm not using the point that Gabbert has played below-average to enhance Geno's talent. I'm just using that to point out that we need a QB regardless of who it is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm All In for Geno.

Quote:
"WE ARE A NEEDS-BASED (DRAFTING) TEAM. TO TAKE A QUARTERBACK AND SEE IF YOU CAN DEVELOP HIM IS A GOOD PHILOSOPHY.''

-DAVID CALDWELL

Make it happen, Dave.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/2/27/4036374/geno-smith-jaguars-nfl-draft-2013

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Buff wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
Conrad Buff wrote:

I see what you're saying but I think you slightly misunderstood me. I'm not using the point that Gabbert has played below-average to enhance Geno's talent. I'm just using that to point out that we need a QB regardless of who it is.

You're not wrong. Barring some major boon in Gabbert's development, we do badly need a QB.

I just think that sort of reasoning is the sort of thing that leads teams down the road to 'reaches' and often mistakes. When that 'need a QB regardless of who it is' starts playing into a #2 overall pick...i think you really have to start asking if you're artificially pushing people up the board out of desperation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
Conrad Buff wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
Conrad Buff wrote:

You're not wrong. Barring some major boon in Gabbert's development, we do badly need a QB.

I just think that sort of reasoning is the sort of thing that leads teams down the road to 'reaches' and often mistakes. When that 'need a QB regardless of who it is' starts playing into a #2 overall pick...i think you really have to start asking if you're artificially pushing people up the board out of desperation.

Yet you cannot ignore the fact that the need is still there. At this point in time Geno is the best option in free agency and draft. As a diehard fan I'm hungry for a superbowl. I'm pretty opposed to the idea of waiting until next year for a QB who is decent. Nearly every prospect list has Geno in the top 10 of all prospects. Honestly I don't know what will happen but I think Dave will make the right decision.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mort (so take it with a grain of salt) just said on ESPN32 that the Raiders have an interest in Geno with the 3rd pick in the Draft.

/sendinyouroffersfor2

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
Tugboat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/2/27/4036374/geno-smith-jaguars-nfl-draft-2013

I still don't like this Geno Smith = Matt Ryan? theme that keeps popping up. They're both similar in that they are/were questionmarks as top-picks in the draft. But outside that and playing the same position, i don't think they're really all that similar.

This idea that 'well Caldwell was part of drafting a 'flawed QB' once, so maybe he'll like Geno' seems really sketchy to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: