You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My mock based on FA pickups

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ57

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: My mock based on FA pickups Reply with quote

Ireland has done a nice job in addressing needs and we can just about pick BPA (never thought I'd be saying this about him).

A few points to consider before I get started.

Several here feel we have no starting CB's. Consider that the team has picked up two CB's and signed them to 3 year deals for decent money. Then factor in that the coach has proven ability to make do with medicore DB talent. Consider that we have Wilson, Carroll, and McCant. Remember Clemmons was only offered a one year deal.

Just like we are moving to a ZBS OL we are also moving to a 4-3 DL. Several players either don't fit or are playing in the wrong spot. We also have too much money tied up. Last but not least this year's draft has talent on the DL.

So;
Round 1, Sheldon Richardson, (DT)
Allows Odrick to move inside and Solia and Starks to go away the following year. For now we rotate according to run/pass. Solia and Starks are powerful run stuffers and Odrick and Richardson should be disruptive DT's in the passing game.

Round 2A, Kyle Long/Larry Warford (OG/OT?)
We look to pick up a good OG who could be a OT if necessary. I love the Long blood line. I consider Warford the better guard but not capable of playing OT.

Round 2B, Alex Okafor (DE)
Replaces Odrick at DE. We need real 4-3 DE's and not 3-4 OLB's and 3-4 DE's! With Odrick/Richardson on the inside, and Wake/Okafor on the outside, our pass rush should be much improved. This is needed with mid level CB's we have.

Round 3A, Vance McDonald/Nick Kasa (TE)
We need a big body, but fast, TE to compliment Keller/Egnew. These guys have the size to help the run game and the speed to be a threat catchng the ball. It makes a two TE set a match up nightmare.

Round 3B, Justin Pugh (OG/OT)
Another guy that can play OG but be a OT in a pinch. Should do great as a OG in a ZBS.

Round 4, T.J. McDonald (SS/FS)
We only ofered Clemmons a one year deal. T.J. was considered first day talent last year. Good combination of ability to cover in man, play center field, and offer run support. Should cover up for the CB talent we have. Potential difference maker at an affordable price.

Round 5, We need some LB'er depth. Can't say I really know these guys but best one left out of Gerald Hodges/Michael Mautil/Kevin Riddick.

Round 7, Caleb Sturgis (K)
Saves a few bucks and gets a cluth player. Has the leg strength to make the fifty yarders and only misses when it doesn't matter.

I suspect we will resign Long and pick up someone like Pac Man. Personally I want Da'Rick Rodgers in the third but felt you guys would rather have a OG/OT.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I was going to bring up the name sheldon richardson he is a jeff ireland type pick that on draft day would surprise people and have people shaking there head. I am NOT SAYING I want him to be the pick but he is a different type DT that we have had a penetrating backfield causing havic DT. He can apply pressure at end more then odrick. It does seem they are going younger and soliai and starks are free agents next year. Maybe they let Soliai walk and a richardson,starks,odrick and wake front 4 is in the cards. Just thinking outside the box I know they have meet with him already. It seems he has surprised us already with a few things.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big kyle long fan so Long over Warford, I think Long is going to be a very good LG in the NFL and Warford is a bad fit. I will say I see no way pugh makes it to round 3
eh3034

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Note that I am not a huge Dolphin follower, so I apologize if this is stupid)

To me the situation with the front 4 reminds me a lot of Seattle's last year. You have an out of position DE in Odrick (Red Bryant), a good run defending NT in Soliai (Alan Branch), a do it all DT in Starks (Brandon Mebane), and a great pass rusher in Wake (Chris Clemons).

What would bring the front 4 all together is the addition of another great pass rusher, allowing the NT to come out on passing downs, and the out of position DE to be kicked inside. The selection at #12 could then be the best available pass rusher such as Jordan, Mingo, or Werner. I believe that one or more of those three will be available at #12, and would be the Bruce Irvin pick for the Dolphins, solidifying the front 4.

However, in keeping with the Seattle example, does it make sense to make a pick like this considering the state of the secondary? Seattle could make that pick because they knew they already had 4 pro bowl DBs. Maybe someone like Rhodes or Vaccaro might make more sense?
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely a pick for the secondary makes more sense. For me personaly I would hope richardson is not the pick although I like the player.
Russ57

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh3034, very reasonable question.

If it was Wake I was looking to replace I would do as you suggest and get the best pass rusher in the first round. I would also feel differently if Starks had signed a long term deal at reasonable money. To me, both Starks and Solia have more value to a 3-4 team. Their contracts both expire next year. They have both been tagged. It will take a lot of money to keep them. In order to restore balance to the team we must spend less on defense and get younger there. All of these reasons factor into my choice.

I trust you noticed I took a 4-3 DE in the second round and a safety in the fourth. Odrick is a former first round 4-3 DT who had played 3-4 DE for us. He really hasn't proven himself. I think he could be extended cheaply. We have a player in Vernon that we hope might replace Wake in time. For right now Wake's contract is cheap and he shows no signs of slowing down.

Okafor, Odrick, Richardson, and Wake should be a darn good DL at a bargain price. I feel the drop off in 4-3 DT is bigger than the drop off in 4-3 in this draft.

I did mention that I see us getting a CB in the FA market. As your team has proven it is possible to find a good CB in the later rounds. Other than Dee I don't see one I'd spend our first on. I would be tempted if Werner was there.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: