Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

J'Marcus Webb arrested..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pulaski County (Illinois) prosecutors won't pursue charges against Bears LT J'Marcus Webb after he was arrested for possession of marijuana on Sunday.

J'Webb Nation can breathe a sigh of relief. The incident shouldn't have any effect on Webb's standing with the Bears going into the final year of his rookie contract, and will be a dead issue going forward.

Landru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fast. Nice to know he won't be missing any games.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Quote:
Pulaski County (Illinois) prosecutors won't pursue charges against Bears LT J'Marcus Webb after he was arrested for possession of marijuana on Sunday.

J'Webb Nation can breathe a sigh of relief. The incident shouldn't have any effect on Webb's standing with the Bears going into the final year of his rookie contract, and will be a dead issue going forward.

It blows my mind how these guys get their cars searched for speeding.

In Canada they give you a ticket, 11 over the wont pull you over, and you drive away.
ConVict90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to sound like a California pot head here but whether you guys wanna accept it or not at least 60 percent of the guys in the NFL smoke or "medicate" themselves with cannabis. For every Sam Hurd (abused cannabis)
you got guys like Ricky Williams (actually used Cannabis for medicinal purposes). Yes J'Marcus is dumb@$$ but who's to judge him for medicating in the offseason?

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVict90 wrote:
Not trying to sound like a California pot head here but whether you guys wanna accept it or not at least 60 percent of the guys in the NFL smoke or "medicate" themselves with cannabis. For every Sam Hurd (abused cannabis)
you got guys like Ricky Williams (actually used Cannabis for medicinal purposes). Yes J'Marcus is dumb@$$ but who's to judge him for medicating in the offseason?

Ummm... the police? His bosses both at HH and the league office? "It's just a little weed" is the weakest excuse out there. We aren't talking about a guy with glaucoma and a prescription card. This is a guy knowingly breaking the law and violating the league's substance policy. Even as a "minor offense" it's still an offense. Downplaying it to the point of irrelevance is like saying an armed robber who only stole $10 isn't really an armed robber since it was only $10. Nobody would buy that would they?

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
51to54

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
ConVict90 wrote:

Ummm... the police? His bosses both at HH and the league office? "It's just a little weed" is the weakest excuse out there. We aren't talking about a guy with glaucoma and a prescription card. This is a guy knowingly breaking the law and violating the league's substance policy. Even as a "minor offense" it's still an offense. Downplaying it to the point of irrelevance is like saying an armed robber who only stole $10 isn't really an armed robber since it was only $10. Nobody would buy that would they?

Absolutely horrible analogy. You should get a four game suspension for it.

We've had guys in the league who have beat their wives, killed people while drunk, gotten off on murder raps, and have killed helpless dogs. You guys are getting upset over 2 grams of a victimless crime that has it's illegality based on racism.

While I doubt Webb was trying to make a statement like refusing to ride on the back of the bus, the league is wrong on this. We can slam him for putting a suspension on the table, but the league is wrong and the 'crime' is akin to voting or driving while black. I'll take 20 Webb's over one date rape Big Ben any day, any time.
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
ConVict90 wrote:

We've had guys in the league who have beat their wives, killed people while drunk, gotten off on murder raps, and have killed helpless dogs. You guys are getting upset over 2 grams of a victimless crime that has it's illegality based on racism.

While I doubt Webb was trying to make a statement like refusing to ride on the back of the bus, the league is wrong on this. We can slam him for putting a suspension on the table, but the league is wrong and the 'crime' is akin to voting or driving while black. I'll take 20 Webb's over one date rape Big Ben any day, any time.

I think you're going a tad bit overboard with this racism part...

The point is, possessing pot is illegal any way you try and spin it. Webb has an opportunity in front of him to make millions upon millions of dollars if he just keeps his head straight and focuses on the game. When you get caught up in illegal activity you begin to sacrifice that.

I agree that possession is not an egregious crime, but it's a crime nonetheless and Webb has to make smarter decisions in the future. Quit smoking for 12 years and start up again full force once you retire and have nothing else to do.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weed, who cares.
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
It's weed, who cares.
The NFL
Landru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:

You guys are getting upset over 2 grams of a victimless crime that has it's illegality based on racism.

He didn't need to smoke weed, he chose to, with full knowledge that it could hurt both his career and the Bears organization. That's what people are upset about.

When his actions only affect himself and not team, then he can do whatever he wants. Losing him for up to 4 games next season could put the Bears in a tight spot for no reason at all. And spare me the medical marijuana debate. He chose to do it because it's fun, with blatant disregard for the consequences.

That being said, he got lucky and I'm hope he learned his lesson. He needs to just move on and focus on next season.
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronickerr wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
Never struck me as one who would smoke, thought he was more of a straight-shooter.

He's certainly not endearing himself to his new HC. After Sam Hurd, the last thing they need is another player being associated with drugs of any sort.
I'd like to know what the circumstances were? My first instinct is that it was a traffic stop and it was left in the car by somebody else, but who knows.

Rolling Eyes Left in the car by someone else? LOL!
It could have been someone else that left it. Who knows? I choose not to assume the negative.
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronickerr wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
Never struck me as one who would smoke, thought he was more of a straight-shooter.

He's certainly not endearing himself to his new HC. After Sam Hurd, the last thing they need is another player being associated with drugs of any sort.
I'd like to know what the circumstances were? My first instinct is that it was a traffic stop and it was left in the car by somebody else, but who knows.

Rolling Eyes Left in the car by someone else? LOL!
It could have been someone else that left it. Who knows? I choose not to assume the negative.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
51to54 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
ConVict90 wrote:

The point is, possessing pot is illegal any way you try and spin it. Webb has an opportunity in front of him to make millions upon millions of dollars if he just keeps his head straight and focuses on the game. When you get caught up in illegal activity you begin to sacrifice that.

I agree that possession is not an egregious crime, but it's a crime nonetheless and Webb has to make smarter decisions in the future. Quit smoking for 12 years and start up again full force once you retire and have nothing else to do

That is exactly my point. Not sure where the race implication came from but we certainly aren't going to have a race debate here.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Marijuana, who cares.

My guess is 50% of the Bears smoke marijuana recreationally.
The NFL unfortunately, a conviction would result in a 4 game suspension for violation of the NFLs substance abuse policy.
This is a Nothing Burger. 2 grams of weed. Webb would not be subject to any NFL penalty since it is a first offense. $500 bail is not much more than a traffic offense.

The guys on espn radio were talking about this while expressing confusion as to why Kromer appears to like Webb. Media people fall in love with myth and just repeat what they hear all the others say.
In the old days you are correct, however since the year after Goddell became Commish, any violation of the league's substance abuse policy is an automatic 4 game suspension first offense, year 2nd offense, indefinite suspension 3rd offense.
You know more about it than Jerko and Harry who claim otherwise. Your version sounds more like the approach the current NFL would take.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
51to54 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
ConVict90 wrote:

I agree that possession is not an egregious crime, but it's a crime nonetheless and Webb has to make smarter decisions in the future. Quit smoking for 12 years and start up again full force once you retire and have nothing else to do.
We are plagued with thousands of dubious and/or counterproductive laws often passed for nefarious or unwise reasons and those related to pot are some of the worse.

While I will never argue it is harmless compared to the legal alcohol it is nothing. When I look at the comparative damage done by both the weed does not even rate.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: