Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers trade QB Alex Smith to Chiefs for 2nd rounder, another
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there any chance the 49ers sent a G or RT they might have been willing to part with in the Alex Smith deal that could be a viable starter for us and cost less than Winston?

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
So is there any chance the 49ers sent a G or RT they might have been willing to part with in the Alex Smith deal that could be a viable starter for us and cost less than Winston?

No. No chance.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

We have no backup tackles, Boone would move from G to tackle if one of tackles got hurt. And our backup guards are young and unproven. You can have Leonard Davis if you want him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

We have no backup tackles, Boone would move from G to tackle if one of tackles got hurt. And our backup guards are young and unproven. You can have Leonard Davis if you want him.

Except that he won't be under contract on march 12th, will he?

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do one last post on Alex Smith before I move on from the whole situation. Actually I have been waiting for a trade or release to be announced before I thought about making this. Seeing as we are now 3 days away from the trade being completed here is my final post about Alex Smith as far as debates here are concerned(and not including pulling for the Chiefs due to him being the QB there when they aren't playing the 49ers)....

A few years ago I had compared Alex to Drew Brees in terms of development. A few people here scoffed at that notion(this was when Drew Brees was starting to light it up as the QB of the Saints). I was more comparing him to the Brees who played in San Diego than the Brees who played in New Orleans.

The past two years however only make the two that much more similar. Especially when you look at the good amount of similarities(especially in Brees' age when he went to NO and Alex's age as he is about to be traded to KC). So if you will be so inclined to read the rest of this massive post I present to you an updated comparison of the careers of Drew Brees and Alex Smith:

2001 Drew Brees is drafted by the San Diego Chargers with the first pick in the 2nd round of the 2001 NFL Draft. While he was considered the second best prospect at QB in this draft(eventually becoming the best of it) he was downgraded by a lot of teams due to his stature, perceived lack of arm strength, and the fact that his success in the NCAA came from being in the spread offense run at the time in Purdue. Also in this draft the Chargers selected LaDanian Tomlinson who would wind up becoming the leading rusher in Chargers history. He made his first start in November.

2002 Drew Brees is named the starting QB this season. He leads the Chargers to an 8-8 record that while not impressive still led to a glimmer of hope in the eyes of Chargers fans.

2003 After a disappointing start to this season Brees is eventually benched in favor of Flutie. Chargers regressed this season

2004 the Chargers select Eli Manning and then trade him to the Giants for Philip Rivers. At this point it's not a matter of if Rivers will start but a matter of WHEN Rivers will start. Due to a delay thanks to a holdout by Rivers' agent Drew Brees is the starting QB and has a really good season and leads the Chargers to a playoff berth. Brees age at this season 25

2005 while the Chargers of this season are not as good as the 2012 49ers it ends a similar way for Brees(injury ends his tenure as starting QB for the Chargers and well his time with the Chargers too). Brees age at this season 26

2006 Philip Rivers is named the starter of the Chargers while Brees. Brees talks with Miami and New Orleans and ends up going to New Orleans who had recently hired Sean Payton to be their Head Coach. Payton was known as a good offensive mind and pretty good with quarterbacks. This Saints team has a well established RB in McAlister, had just picked Reggie Bush, and had a good pair of WRs in Horn and Colston. Brees' age at this season 27

--------------------------------------------------------
2005 Alex Smith is selected with the first overall pick by the San Francisco 49ers. He has a high ceiling despite concerns about a lack of arm strength and playing in a spread offense that Utah ran under Urban Meyer. Also in this draft the 49ers selected Frank Gore who would end up becoming the leading rusher in 49ers history. Alex becomes the starting QB in October/November and has a rough time in the NFL as a rookie.

2006 Alex has a bounce back year under new offensive coordinator Norv Turner. The 49ers end the season 6-10 which is considered a vast improvement over the 2005 season in terms of how competitive they were.

2007 Alex struggles out the gate this season and due to injuries his term as starter is cut short. 49ers regressed this season

2008-2010 Alex was either hurt(2008), benched for a good chunk of the season(2009), or both(2010). These seasons could be used to contradict my argument but the fact that Alex was younger coming out of the league gives my comparison legs still.

2011 The 49ers trade up in round 2 to get Colin Kaepernick. Once again it's not a matter of if Alex Smith's days as the starting QB of the 49ers are numbered but a matter of when. A lockout prevents the coaches from properly developing Colin and thus Alex Smith is re-signed when possible and is the starter. In his best year as a starter at this point leads the 49ers to the playoffs. Smith's age this season 27

2012 Alex Smith is having a season that somehow looks to be topping his 2011 season. Then week 9 vs the Rams he is knocked out of the game and never plays another meaningful snap as a 49er. 49ers make the super bowl all but sealing Alex's fate in SF. Smith's age this season 28

2013 A trade is agreed upon in principle that will send Alex to the Kansas City Chiefs a team who just hired an offensive minded coach who is known for getting a lot out of QBs in Andy Reid, has an all pro RB in the form of Jamaal Charles, and has a pro bowl caliber WR in the form of Dwayne Bowe. They had just tagged starting LT Brandon Albert and will most likely draft a RT high this year. Also this team has a pretty good amount of talent on defense especially after adding Dunta Robinson at CB and still looking to add. Smith's age when the 2013 season starts will be 29

Now I am not saying Alex in Kansas City will be Drew Brees in New Orleans but one could say the talent across the board right now in KC is better than the talent across the board on the 2006 Saints. Add the fact that aside from Denver the AFC West is a weak division right now and is pretty much ripe for the taking even with Denver.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm assuming this is a done deal now? We want our picks!!!

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFLN reported just now that the Alex trade is official. 2nd rounder and a conditional next year (no details yet on that)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just made official. Their second and a mid round next year.
Nfln didn't say anything about us adding picks

new sig... sorry alex
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
So, I'm assuming this is a done deal now? We want our picks!!!

Trade is official now

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can finally turn the page and move on, I'm so happy. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Busey ROCKS !!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Gary Busey ROCKS !!!

I was looking for a gif of this, but I couldn't find one. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's on nfln right now

new sig... sorry alex
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
He's on nfln right now

not seeing him... you tells me lies?

edit: nevermind.. came on a few minutes later for me here. Eisen asking him questions... Alex doing okay with his responses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's on NFL network because the Chiefs have just announced he's their starter. Not wasting any time committing to him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: