Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers trade QB Alex Smith to Chiefs for 2nd rounder, another
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
straighthate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:
No. You can’t base the value of a trade or draft pick on what might or eventually does happen.

Not to beat a dead horse...but aren't you saying we overpaid because those picks "could" have been good players? They also could have been waste of space players.

Say what you want, if Alex helps makes this team competitive and makes us a legitimate playoff contender...then yes, I think it was worth it. If playoffs aren't an accomplishment, then why does it matter who we play or who we draft? What matter then? Winning games, you do that to get to the playoffs. Superbowls? Can't do that without the playoffs...

Guess I don't understand why making the playoffs isn't an accomplishment in your eyes.

I think he's saying that you overpaid cause his market value was cheaper than you paid for him. I love Smith, but I think you guys could have gotten him for cheaper.

Another way to look at, if you paid $100 for a lotto ticket, did you overpay? Even if you win $100 million, you still overpaid, cause you could have got that ticket for a buck. It's not about the result, it's about what's the market price.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Market Value obviously was higher than you guys think.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Kcpre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straighthate wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:
No. You can’t base the value of a trade or draft pick on what might or eventually does happen.

Not to beat a dead horse...but aren't you saying we overpaid because those picks "could" have been good players? They also could have been waste of space players.

Say what you want, if Alex helps makes this team competitive and makes us a legitimate playoff contender...then yes, I think it was worth it. If playoffs aren't an accomplishment, then why does it matter who we play or who we draft? What matter then? Winning games, you do that to get to the playoffs. Superbowls? Can't do that without the playoffs...

Guess I don't understand why making the playoffs isn't an accomplishment in your eyes.

I think he's saying that you overpaid cause his market value was cheaper than you paid for him. I love Smith, but I think you guys could have gotten him for cheaper.

Another way to look at, if you paid $100 for a lotto ticket, did you overpay? Even if you win $100 million, you still overpaid, cause you could have got that ticket for a buck. It's not about the result, it's about what's the market price.

It's different if you know it's a winning ticket and you're not the only one trying to get it. I don't really view this as any different from the draft. As it gets closer people rise and fall like crazy, but that's just cuz the media had no real idea what the value was in the first place.

I was pretty shocked myself when I found out we gave up two 2nd round picks, it was definitely more than I thought they'd have to give up. But what if they refused and then Smith gets traded elsewhere? I guess all I'm saying is that we don't always know what market value truly is and in the end it's pretty objective. I don't think many other teams were lining up to trade a 2nd for Welker but that worked out. Obviously no one in their right mind was competing with OAK for Palmer, but I think it's safe to say the Raiders don't count when talking about sensible moves
Mongo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:

We overpaid because we should have been able to get Alex Smith for one draft pick and I'll go as far to say, it should have been an R4.

Why? Not because Alex smith isn't a good player. I'd grade him B-. The Niners had no use for him anymore. They’re going with Kap and were not going to pay $8M for a backup QB whose mere presence could be a distraction.

I prefer the guy in the commercial who continually betters his lot by asking “And?”. The Chiefs got a new pair of jeans but failed to come away with the pretty saleswoman’s phone number.

Leading into the Trent Green to MIA trade several posters elsewhere argued that he was worth an R2. I was ridiculed for telling them he was worth an R5. That’s exactly what the Chiefs got. Why? Because the Chiefs didn’t want him anymore.

Fast forward to this offseason. Matt Cassel should’ve had some trade value like a future R6, maybe. He still can be a competent backup. Not one team bit. Why? Because the Chiefs didn’t want him anymore.

One day, hopefully, it won’t matter that the Chiefs acted desperately during their trade negotiations with SF. As of right now, it’s a red flag. It’s a sign that Reid might continue the flailing that led to his demise in Philly.

A playoff appearance is not good enough to forget that transgression. R2 picks are gold, not to be squandered. A playoff “appearance” is needed for a Super Bowl championship. However, it doesn’t guarantee progression to one. Perhaps I’m jaded by too many intermittent “one and dones” throughout Chiefs’ history. Perhaps I know NFL history.

Those R2 picks could be the cornerstone of several playoff appearances and multiple championships.

Perhaps Alex Smith minus two R2 will be good enough for a playoff appearance, and you’ll be satisfied. That’s fine. I’ll be asking “And?”
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reid wanted his guy and made certain that he was going to get him. That's about as simple as it gets for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh...I get where the concern is. But, having sat through countless games of horrible QB play, i couldve cared less what we gave for him. I'm just glad that we may have a more consistent, accurate, REAL quarterback behind center. Thats enough to make me forget about Rd 2 picks
Rearviewmirror

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

We overpaid because we should have been able to get Alex Smith for one draft pick and I'll go as far to say, it should have been an R4.

Why? Not because Alex smith isn't a good player. I'd grade him B-. The Niners had no use for him anymore. They’re going with Kap and were not going to pay $8M for a backup QB whose mere presence could be a distraction.

I prefer the guy in the commercial who continually betters his lot by asking “And?”. The Chiefs got a new pair of jeans but failed to come away with the pretty saleswoman’s phone number.

Leading into the Trent Green to MIA trade several posters elsewhere argued that he was worth an R2. I was ridiculed for telling them he was worth an R5. That’s exactly what the Chiefs got. Why? Because the Chiefs didn’t want him anymore.

Fast forward to this offseason. Matt Cassel should’ve had some trade value like a future R6, maybe. He still can be a competent backup. Not one team bit. Why? Because the Chiefs didn’t want him anymore.

One day, hopefully, it won’t matter that the Chiefs acted desperately during their trade negotiations with SF. As of right now, it’s a red flag. It’s a sign that Reid might continue the flailing that led to his demise in Philly.

A playoff appearance is not good enough to forget that transgression. R2 picks are gold, not to be squandered. A playoff “appearance” is needed for a Super Bowl championship. However, it doesn’t guarantee progression to one. Perhaps I’m jaded by too many intermittent “one and dones” throughout Chiefs’ history. Perhaps I know NFL history.

Those R2 picks could be the cornerstone of several playoff appearances and multiple championships.

Perhaps Alex Smith minus two R2 will be good enough for a playoff appearance, and you’ll be satisfied. That’s fine. I’ll be asking “And?”

You've got to be kidding me Shocked

Did the Pats have any use for Matt Cassel? 2nd round pick
Did the Eagles have any use for Kevin Kolb? 2nd round pick + DRC
Did the Falcons have any use for Matt Schaub? 2nd round pick

You're ideas of what market value is for a QB is just slightly outside of reality. Alex Smith is a proven starter who has won a playoff game, that's a way better resume than any other QB who has gone for 2nd round pick (plus in some cases)

les paul wrote:
Their opponent-
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:

You're ideas of what market value is for a QB is just slightly outside of reality. Alex Smith is a proven starter who has won a playoff game, that's a way better resume than any other QB who has gone for 2nd round pick (plus in some cases)

Nope I’m absolutely serious. Those teams had absolute use for those players. They had value because of perceived upside at the most integral position in the NFL.

Before the last two years Alex Smith hadn’t proven anything except that he was inconsistent and possibly fragile. Now, he’s a player who lost his job to an unproven second year player with a hot hand. Alex Smith has no upside. We know who Alex Smith is. He’s not bad. He’s okay. He’ll never be great. Those other QB were moved in the hopes there was greatness in them. Not that they’d just be okay.

And besides, look at your examples. Were they shrewd decisions that propelled those teams to Super Bowl contention? Only Schaub has proved to be worthwhile. The other two were traded to losers and are no longer on the teams who overpaid for them. You’re making my case for me. Do the Steelers make moves like that? Do the Packers? It seems you think the “new” Chiefs should act as stupidly as some the worst teams in the NFL.

It is you who fails to recognize the value of QB in the NFL or, more importantly, how successful, intelligent teams handle their business. You think like the Chiefs, a team that hasn’t won a playoff game in 20 years or a Super Bowl in 43. A team that until proven otherwise is currently one of the worst teams in football.
bpinsky33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:

You've got to be kidding me :shock:

Nope I’m absolutely serious. Those teams had absolute use for those players. They had value because of perceived upside at the most integral position in the NFL.

Before the last two years Alex Smith hadn’t proven anything except that he was inconsistent and possibly fragile. Now, he’s a player who lost his job to an unproven second year player with a hot hand. Alex Smith has no upside. We know who Alex Smith is. He’s not bad. He’s okay. He’ll never be great. Those other QB were moved in the hopes there was greatness in them. Not that they’d just be okay.

And besides, look at your examples. Were they shrewd decisions that propelled those teams to Super Bowl contention? Only Schaub has proved to be worthwhile. The other two were traded to losers and are no longer on the teams who overpaid for them. You’re making my case for me. Do the Steelers make moves like that? Do the Packers? It seems you think the “new” Chiefs should act as stupidly as some the worst teams in the NFL.

It is you who fails to recognize the value of QB in the NFL or, more importantly, how successful, intelligent teams handle their business. You think like the Chiefs, a team that hasn’t won a playoff game in 20 years or a Super Bowl in 43. A team that until proven otherwise is currently one of the worst teams in football.

You do realize that the 49ers didn't need to trade Smith. They are paying next to nothing for Kap and Smith is on a team friendly contract. Sure Smith would be riding the bench, but with Kaps style injury is always going to be a concern. The Chiefs asked the 49ers for their emergency paracheute, you better believe they are going to make sure we pay handsomely for it.

Let's hope this doesn't happen, but lets say Kap is injuried during TC. The 49ers go from Super Bowl contenders to 8-8 (that defense will keep them in games). If they kept Smith then they would be able to continue on without really missing a step.

The market for these kind of transactions is driven by supply and demand. There were several teams needing a QB and only really one on the market. It will drive up the price.
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpinsky33 wrote:

You do realize that the 49ers didn't need to trade Smith. They are paying next to nothing for Kap and Smith is on a team friendly contract. Sure Smith would be riding the bench, but with Kaps style injury is always going to be a concern. The Chiefs asked the 49ers for their emergency paracheute, you better believe they are going to make sure we pay handsomely for it.

Let's hope this doesn't happen, but lets say Kap is injuried during TC. The 49ers go from Super Bowl contenders to 8-8 (that defense will keep them in games). If they kept Smith then they would be able to continue on without really missing a step.

The market for these kind of transactions is driven by supply and demand. There were several teams needing a QB and only really one on the market. It will drive up the price.

They absolutely had to move Smith. Not because of the cap, although I doubt the Niners are $8M+ under it. You just don’t pay a backup QB $8M.

More importantly, you also don’t risk damaging the psyche of your young FQBOF if he struggles. You don’t want him looking over his shoulder while everyone clamors for the guy who led them to a playoff victory two years prior. That is, not if you’re smart. Guess what? The Niners are smart. They even hedged their bets by acquiring Colt McCoy who will probably serve as a cheaper, capable, conventional, non-threatening backup to Kap.

So you are right. They brilliantly fleeced the Chiefs and made sure KC paid handsomely. Using the principles of supply and demand they allowed the bidding for Alex to escalate to their advantage.

The problem is that smart bidders at an auction never, ever overbid, no matter how much they want or even need the coveted item.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we win a playoff game with Smith ill say its a good trade.
Rearviewmirror

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:

Before the last two years Alex Smith hadn’t proven anything except that he was inconsistent and possibly fragile. Now, he’s a player who lost his job to an unproven second year player with a hot hand. Alex Smith has no upside (I find this completely false. The guy has improved ever year in the league). We know who Alex Smith is. He’s not bad. He’s okay. He’ll never be great. Those other QB were moved in the hopes there was greatness in them. Not that they’d just be okay.

I don't think we are hoping that Alex Smith is going to be "just okay"

Alex Smith isn't my end all be all QB, don't get that idea, but he was head and shoulders the best option for this year, even at the price we paid. This team is good enough to make and win in the playoffs even if Alex is the Alex of the last 2 49er years, and doesn't take another step forward (as I feel he is going to).

so the same guy who says "I don't care if Alex Smith wins us a super bowl, we still overpaid" is using performance after the trade as a reason why the trade was bad/good. I like how you completely disregard his last 2 years as if they never happened. The only Alex Smith you can possibly envision for our team is the crappy one that was basically forced to play through a devastating shoulder injury, it certainly isn't possible that Alex has the best year of his career and shoves a big fat pie in some faces.

That Kevin Kolb guy that has sucked so hardcore outside of Andy Reid, he was pretty good under Andy. Alex Smith is a better QB than Kolb. I don't think anyone would dispute that (I at least hope not), but it isn't possible that Alex could put up similar numbers, or lead us to any wins or anything.

Also, I'm not making your point for you. I'm using examples of what "market value" is for a starting QB in this league.

At the time of the trades:
Matt Cassel 15 starts, decent play, helped a TON by some of Randy's best work
Kevin Kolb: around 7 starts, I mostly went by his stats, so some of those could be him coming off the bench
Matt Schaub: 2 starts and several times coming off bench to play a solid portion of the game
Alex Smith: 65 starts. Slightly older than those other guys, definitely a more proven commodity. Has a playoff comeback victory.

Andy Reid's offense would have been a horrible situation to throw a rookie like Geno into right away, I've come to understand that. It may come about that passing on Geno was the wrong thing to do, but for us to be competitive this year, we HAD to have Alex Smith here. He's the only guy who gives us a shot to win in the playoffs this year. No other QB provided that option for us. Carson Palmer? no. Matt Flynn? no. Geno Smith? no. Tyler Wilson? no. EJ Manuel? no.

Bottom line: Alex Smith has given us a leader, a guy to rally around (things that no Chiefs QB has had since Trent Green). I'd have to go look, but I'd say Alex Smith is probably the 4th or 5th best QB that KC has ever had. He commands this team, he has made this team HIS, the TEAM believes in him (and sometimes belief is half the battle).

Also, where do you get the idea that the 49ers "had to trade Alex Smith", but the Pats didn't Cassel, the Eagles didn't Kolb, and the Falcons didn't Schaub? Those teams had Brady, Vick (off of his best year), and Vick as a young guy who everyone thought was a franchise guy.

les paul wrote:
Their opponent-
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from my experience...

There is NO point in arguing about Alex Smith in the offseason... and frankly, it's only gonna make things worse.

- All that comes from such arguments are tons of ignorant absolutes thrown around to state what he can't do. People will argue.. things will get hostile.. and this will draw a line in the sand.

Once that line is drawn, those on the detractors side will NEVER accept him. They will hold onto past conversations with a fierce bitterness that will never allow them to support Alex. They will use every single poor pass or decision to try and strengthen their hate for him. They will twist and alter their idea of a decision to strengthen that agenda. Some will even wish for him to fail... whether they admit it or not. It seems that "being right" on a forum is more important than team success.. for some. You may be skeptical of this, but I have been witness to it.

The SF forum was once a thriving entity... packed with respect, fun, and solidarity. The topic of Alex Smith has brutally damaged things over there... causing many members to vanish.. and some to frequently sneak in their still-hurt feelings on others through veiled swipes.

So, in summary.. my advice.. just don't waste your time and efforts. Let the play on the field speak for itself and ENJOY. Don't let the KC forum fall to the same fate as we have suffered. Let em talk... the only thing that will shut them up is actual football.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
so the same guy who says "I don't care if Alex Smith wins us a super bowl, we still overpaid" is using performance after the trade as a reason why the trade was bad/good.

What are you talking about? The value of the trade is determined at the time it occurs, not based on the aftermath. The day Alex Smith was traded he was not a SBQB. He was not worth 2 R2.

Quote:

I like how you completely disregard his last 2 years as if they never happened. The only Alex Smith you can possibly envision for our team is the crappy one that was basically forced to play through a devastating shoulder injury, it certainly isn't possible that Alex has the best year of his career and shoves a big fat pie in some faces.

Hey, I like pie, but really this discussion is not about the quality of Alex Smith’s play as a QB, it’s about his trade value. As I said, Alex Smith is a borderline C+/B-. I’m not slamming him. I’m slamming Reid and Dorsey, who acted out of desperation and overpaid.

However, to be honest, when a guy is 29 and the only two good years he’s had are the last two, you have to consider they may have been an aberration. Maybe he was the caretaker of a very well coached, defensive, running oriented team. He has never thrown more than 20 TDs. Last year he was on pace to barely pass that mark. 20 TDs are not superstar numbers.

Quote:

That Kevin Kolb guy that has sucked so hardcore outside of Andy Reid, he was pretty good under Andy. Alex Smith is a better QB than Kolb. I don't think anyone would dispute that (I at least hope not), but it isn't possible that Alex could put up similar numbers, or lead us to any wins or anything.

Also, I'm not making your point for you. I'm using examples of what "market value" is for a starting QB in this league.

At the time of the trades:
Matt Cassel 15 starts, decent play, helped a TON by some of Randy's best work
Kevin Kolb: around 7 starts, I mostly went by his stats, so some of those could be him coming off the bench
Matt Schaub: 2 starts and several times coming off bench to play a solid portion of the game
Alex Smith: 65 starts. Slightly older than those other guys, definitely a more proven commodity. Has a playoff comeback victory.

Who cares? Discounting A.Smith, three teams, that were bad at the time these trades occurred, overpaid for unproven, flash-in-the-pan backups. The same way the Lions went nutty for Scott Mitchell, the Bills for Doug Johnson, and the Chiefs for Elvis Grbac and Matt Cassel. The history of the NFL is littered with idiotic trades and over-drafting of marginal QB prospects. You may call that “market value”. I call that stupid. Shrewd negotiators get what they want for less than “market value”.

Like it or not, you’ve made my point for me.

Quote:

Andy Reid's offense would have been a horrible situation to throw a rookie like Geno into right away, I've come to understand that. It may come about that passing on Geno was the wrong thing to do, but for us to be competitive this year, we HAD to have Alex Smith here. He's the only guy who gives us a shot to win in the playoffs this year. No other QB provided that option for us. Carson Palmer? no. Matt Flynn? no. Geno Smith? no. Tyler Wilson? no. EJ Manuel? no.

Why is it essential that our franchise make bad moves to ensure we make the playoffs this year? We’re at rock bottom. Reid has carte-blanche. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Just because the Chiefs needed a QB doesn’t mean they should have acted desperately to get one. And if the Niners had not met their price you go to plan B. Just like the Dolphins who refused to meet the Chiefs’ price for Branden Albert and walked away.

Besides, I’ve never said the Chiefs should not have acquired Alex Smith, just at an intelligent price. We’ll never know “what if”, but I maintain that had the Chiefs not drooled over Alex Smith like a drunk at a strip club, they could have gotten him for one draft pick.

PS: Funny how many folk’s opinion of Geno Smith has changed now that the entire NFL passed on him at least once.

Quote:

Bottom line: Alex Smith has given us a leader, a guy to rally around (things that no Chiefs QB has had since Trent Green). I'd have to go look, but I'd say Alex Smith is probably the 4th or 5th best QB that KC has ever had. He commands this team, he has made this team HIS, the TEAM believes in him (and sometimes belief is half the battle).

Fitting phrase you’ve chosen: “bottom line.” Because this kind of trade is what identifies teams that are at the bottom. Saying Alex Smith is the 4th or 5th best KC QB ever is premature at this point. But if it is true, it isn’t really saying that much. It’s pretty much been a dog show.

Quote:

Also, where do you get the idea that the 49ers "had to trade Alex Smith", but the Pats didn't Cassel, the Eagles didn't Kolb, and the Falcons didn't Schaub? Those teams had Brady, Vick (off of his best year), and Vick as a young guy who everyone thought was a franchise guy.

They didn’t. Those guys were not overpaid. They were no threat to the starters in place. The teams trading them could have kept them had they chose. Instead, they shrewdly fleeced stupid QB starved teams.
Mongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
This is from my experience...

There is NO point in arguing about Alex Smith in the offseason... and frankly, it's only gonna make things worse.

- All that comes from such arguments are tons of ignorant absolutes thrown around to state what he can't do. People will argue.. things will get hostile.. and this will draw a line in the sand.

Once that line is drawn, those on the detractors side will NEVER accept him. They will hold onto past conversations with a fierce bitterness that will never allow them to support Alex. They will use every single poor pass or decision to try and strengthen their hate for him. They will twist and alter their idea of a decision to strengthen that agenda. Some will even wish for him to fail... whether they admit it or not. It seems that "being right" on a forum is more important than team success.. for some. You may be skeptical of this, but I have been witness to it.

The SF forum was once a thriving entity... packed with respect, fun, and solidarity. The topic of Alex Smith has brutally damaged things over there... causing many members to vanish.. and some to frequently sneak in their still-hurt feelings on others through veiled swipes.

So, in summary.. my advice.. just don't waste your time and efforts. Let the play on the field speak for itself and ENJOY. Don't let the KC forum fall to the same fate as we have suffered. Let em talk... the only thing that will shut them up is actual football.

I appreciate your concern. I haven’t purposely disrespected any individual. I confess I love a good debate and believe this is one.

However, I noticed a recurring theme in replies to my position.

My criticism of the Alex Smith trade has nothing to do with Alex Smith. It has to do with the compensation rendered. That opinion isn’t going to change no matter how he plays. So there will be no reason for me to hope for his demise. I’d rather be wrong and enjoy a Super Bowl than be right and watch the same crap we’ve seen for most of the last 6-7 years.

My expectation is that the QB play will be much better than we’ve had.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 39 of 43

Jump to: