Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DOCMOCK: AS OF 3/02/2013 - RECENT DEVELOPMENTS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: DOCMOCK: AS OF 3/02/2013 - RECENT DEVELOPMENTS Reply with quote

CHANGES

3/2/2013 Cincinnati tagged Johnson ... had to find the next best one. I didn't want to redo my whole draft to fix this when 27 year old Michael Bennet was sitting there. I'll give him some competition.

His contract should be cheaper than Johnson's would have been so I decided to use the money saved and franchise Starks. I'm not 100% comfortable with leaving Bennett next to Odrick as the starting DT.

1. Originally took Warmack @ 12 . I was shown (thanks guys) that Cooper was a better fit. Made trade with Seattle for their 1st and 3rd and took cooper.
2. I was also shown that Cherilus might not be the best fit. Used the 3rd received from Seattle to take Da'Rick Rogers. This allowed me to move away from picking Kenny Stills and take Reid Fragel to play RT.

My agenda:

Offensively I would like to start from what I know to be true as of March 1st, 2013.
Meaning, slim to none chance of re-signing Reggie Bush or adding Greg Jennings in FA.

Disclaimer:

I know you are going to take one look at the eight free agents I signed and say "hell no". But if you look at the eleven contracts I got rid of, and add it to the cap space we already have then this is just a matter of if these guys really want to play here.

Franchise:

Randy Starks. Should really benefit Bennett who had nine sacks on a line less talented than the one the Dolphins have.

Resigned:

Matt Moore
Bryan Mcann

Not Expected To Return:

Brian Hartline
Anthony Fasano
Sean Smith
Reggie Bush
Marlon Moore
Michael Egnew
Nate Garner
Jonathan Amaya
Jake Long

Roster Cap Cuts

Richie Incognito - $4Mil in cap savings ( Based on his Pro Bowl status, I wanted to trade him, but I didn't want to bother with it )

Reworked Contracts

Dimitri Patterson

FA Signings - Tier 1

WR - Mike Wallace - I know this is an obvious "lets get speedy" choice, but he has been consistently productive and he
creates one on ones for others. That is worth every penny of his pending contract. The other WRs thrive, the running game opens up.
It just makes too much sense. And I can't knock him almost every deep threat on the planet has drops. Simple math.

LT - Jermon Bushrod - Yes, I allowed you gentlemen to put doubts in my head about Jonathan Martin

DE - Michael Bennett - As per Walter Football, solid pass rusher and premier run defender. Plays 3 downs.

CB - Leodis McKelvin - I hope the All Pro can fit in financially

FA Signings - Tier 2

CB - Cary williams - Ravens - Former Titans 7th round pick who worked his way put to his first start last season and did not disappoint / born in Miami.

RG - Donald Thomas - Patriots - He was the strongest dude on the team when he was here. Never new why he was not kept. Not a big fan of Incognito. Walter Football says that he played really well for the pats given the opportunity, but was stuck behind Mankins and would start for most teams. And that includes us.

RG - Rex Hadnot - Chargers - Veteran depth that can play both guard spots / 2nd stint in south beach.

DRAFT PICKS

TRADE: Miami trades the 12th overall pick to the Seattle Seahawks for their 1st and 3rd ... This trade works for Seattle because Walter Football states ... "Chris Clemons tore his ACL in early January, so he may not be ready for the start of the 2013 season. As we all saw in the playoff loss to Atlanta, Bruce Irvin cannot be a starter because he gets demolished against the run." They are also lacking at WR and could take Patterson

1. 25th pick LG -Jonathan Cooper - I took heed to the wise words. I am 100% in favor of getting the best fit
(I also took a very hard look at Keenan Allen)

2a. WR Ryan Swope Texas A&M- Not going to turn down
2b. WR Quinton Patton Louisiana Tech - Football Player. End of Story
3a. 77th pick SS Phillip Thomas - Fresno State - Read too many good things about him from too many sources Ball hawking play maker

3b. 82nd pick CB Jamart Taylor - Boise State
3c. 87th pick WR - Da' Rick Rogers - Tennessee Tech
4. TE Joseph Fauria - UCLA
5. RT Reid Fragel Ohio State - Potential steal great combine. Fits us.
7a. RB DJ Harper - Boise State
7b. WGAF

OFFENSE

QB - Tannehill, Moore, Devlin
RB - Miller, Harper, Thigpen
FB - Lane

WR - Wallace, Rogers

TE - Fauria, Clay
RT - Fragel, Martin
RG - Thomas, Hadnot
C - Pouncey, Samuda
LG - Cooper, Hadnot
LT - Bushrod, Martin

WR - Ryan Swope, Davonne Bess

WR - Quinton Patton, Rishard Matthews

DEFENSE

LDE - Michael Bennett, Olivier Vernon
DT - Jared Odrick, Tony McDaniel
DT - Paul Soliai, Kheeston Randall
RDE - Cameron Wake, Olivier Vernon
LOLB - Kevin Burnett, Jonathan Freeny
MLB - Karlos Dansby, Josh Kaddu
ROLB - Koa Misi, Jason Trusnick
LCB - Leodis McKelvin, Jamar Taylor
RCB - CaryWilliams, Bryan McAnn, Dimitri Patterson
FS - Reshad Jones, Jimmy Wilson, Tyrone Culver
SS - Phillip thomas, Jonathan Amaya

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.

Last edited by dolphinologist on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Maddogg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it sir. Not crazy about losing Hartline and Starks. Love dumping Incognito. Rather not recycle the two former Dolphins. Also in mocks, I'm heard from a buddy of mine that works for the NFL we may be getting a 6th and 7th round compensation pick.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 10, Tackles 10 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 9 : Death 27 Joe 34
Offerdahl56

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great mock, more for the FA. That's the
Kind of FA signings you need to have IMO
the draft fills major needs as well
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Agency

What I Like - Any time you can increase the talent on the offensive line I'm going to support it...added tackles (though I'm not sure how well Gosder Cherilus will fit the scheme as he is more of a mauler) and a guard. While I'm not ready to just bail on Martin I understand the desire to at least give him very solid competition.

Wallace is a signing that needs to happen for no other reason then to appease the fans and generate some excitement....I can see Johnson falling into this category too as it is a bigger name that will get solid play in the press.

What I don't like
- Not bringing back Hartline...granted Patton will come in and fill the same role, but you are not only giving Tannehill a completely remade O-line, but now 3 new WR's that he has to develop a rapport with and you exclude the target he was most comfortable throwing to (though that may all be forgotten once Wallace gets behind the safety and Tannehill hits him for a 60+ yard TD).

Draft

What I like - I had previously moved beyond Warmack just because I felt he would be gone before the Dolphins pick, but with the rise in Johnson and the need for Tackle greater on most teams he could fall to 12. I've already stated several times that Warmack is my favorite player in the draft...he has swagger, a mean streak, and will pair nicely with Pouncey to handle some of those 3-4 DTs.

I'm a big fan of Swope and Patton and they compliment each other very well. Swope should develop into one of the better slot receivers and could be Miami's version of Randell Cobb. Patton will replace what Hartline did, but will be cheaper and with more potential.

What I don't like - Not much....solid Draft top to bottom, but I prefer Kelce over Fauria in the 4th...Stills and Harper should be good value picks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Warmack a terrible fit in the ZBS? I thought I saw where Cooper from UNC is the interior lineman you want if you run a ZBS like the Fins do.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks. You suck. I hate you! lol Kidding. This is actually a very good draft. I'm not 100% sure how Warmack will be in a Zone but that's only because i haven't seen much of him. I do know he is athletic.

The WRs you added really add speed and depth. All 3 are great fits for the WCO.

I see you really attacked OL. I know you did that so there is a lot of competition and a few fail safes.

Overall a good offseason and good draft.

Only thing i would change, is tagging Starks. Only because he helps with rotation and I think he fits better in the future plans than Soliai.

UniversalAuthor
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Isn't Warmack a terrible fit in the ZBS? I thought I saw where Cooper from UNC is the interior lineman you want if you run a ZBS like the Fins do.

Warmack isn't a terrible fit for any system, but his feet are not his greatest asset, so ZBS isn't ideal for him, but he will undoubtedly excel wherever he goes. I don't think he is an ideal fit for us, but he is gonna be a solid pro and any team will be lucky to land him. And yes, to your point, Cooper might be a better/more natural fit for the ZBS.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
And yes, to your point, Cooper IS a better/more natural fit for the ZBS.

Fixed that for you Merc.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Maddogg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

Warmack isn't a terrible fit for any system, but his feet are not his greatest asset, so ZBS isn't ideal for him, but he will undoubtedly excel wherever he goes. I don't think he is an ideal fit for us, but he is gonna be a solid pro and any team will be lucky to land him. And yes, to your point, Cooper might be a better/more natural fit for the ZBS.

and I have Jonathan Cooper at number twelve on my big board. So if the draft follows my board I have no problem selecting him.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 10, Tackles 10 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

and I have Jonathan Cooper at number twelve on my big board. So if the draft follows my board I have no problem selecting him.

Ohhh I like this guy!

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
I like it sir. Not crazy about losing Hartline and Starks. Love dumping Incognito. Rather not recycle the two former Dolphins. Also in mocks, I'm heard from a buddy of mine that works for the NFL we may be getting a 6th and 7th round compensation pick.
I have heard we are getting a 6th for Kendal langford
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

Wow, a 6th round comp pick for a 3rd round selection who started for us the whole time he was here. If that was all we got for him (don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a 3rd), I'd be disappointed.

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to piggy back off of this;

Doing a Twitter draft with 5 other guys from FF; Posting it round by round as it goes up at this link.

I drew the Phins; so far we have; I am working with the premise Jake Long is going to return.

1 - Bjoern Werner
2a - Desmond Trufant
2b - Robert Woods (aka Greg Jennings)
3a - Phillip Thomas
3b - Pending

Thoughts??

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Russ57

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to keep see who has been picked yet. Is DaRick Rogers still there?
Maddogg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealMetalFan wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

Wow, a 6th round comp pick for a 3rd round selection who started for us the whole time he was here. If that was all we got for him (don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a 3rd), I'd be disappointed.

As he was trying to explain it to me we are not getting anything for Langford(something cancelled out a pick for losing him), thats who I thought the 6th rounder was for. Actually the 6th rounder is for Chad Henne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: