Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AZ's post-combine mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: AZ's post-combine mock Reply with quote

Resign
OG Lance Louis (1 year, $2M)
DT Henry Melton ($8.3M tag)
DT Nate Collins (RFA)
MLB Brian Urlacher (1 year, $2M + incentives)
DE Israel Idonije (2 years, $5M)
CB Kelvin Hayden (1 year, $1M)
RB Kahlil Bell (1 year, $800k)

FA
TE Fred Davis (4 years, $17M) - a top receiving TE prior to a torn achilles last year. His doctors have declared him to be 100% and ready for full participation in OTAs. I think him coming off the injury and his prior drug suspension (any next one will be a full season) probably keeps this contract lower in value than his talent suggests he deserves.

OT Max Starks (2 years, $7.5M) - massive at 6'8" 345 lb is not expected to be retained by PIT. He was solid if unspectacular at LT for PIT but is long in the tooth (31 years old). Should come as a reasonably priced short term option at OT.

OLB Rocky McIntosh (1 year, $1M) - vet minimum one-year deal for an experienced OLB to compete for reps at SLB (no lock to win the job IMO - see below)

QB Drew Stanton (2 years, $2.75M) - a career backup with some limited starting experience. Ideally he never sees the field but if he does he should be able to move the ball.

Extensions:

Charles Tillman (3 years, $30M added after 2013 (7, 10, 13), with $4M of this year's $8M salary converted to a signing bonus (hitting the cap $1M each year 2013-2016). 2013 cap savings: $3M

Major Wright (4 years, $15M replacing existing deal (1.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5) with a $3M signing bonus (hitting cap over 4 years at $750k per year). 2013 cap savings: $0

Cuts:
Kellen Davis (saves $2.4M)
Matt Spaeth (saves $1.05M)
Devin Hester (saves $1.85M)

Draft:

1. Jonathan Cooper, OG/C, North Carolina - Many think Cooper will go earlier but I am not one of them. He is a day 1 starter at LG who solidifies our biggest line need right away and could potentially move to center after Garza has moved on. Assuming Warmack goes before our pick Cooper is the guy I want more than anyone realistically available to us there.

2. Robert Woods, WR, USC - A savvy route runner and reliable YAC player, Woods possesses the skill set to take advantage of opportunities working all over the field. He doesn't have elite speed but isn't slow either, and he has produced huge numbers in an NFL-style offense and comes with an All-American pedigree.

4. Jordan Mills, OT, La Tech - Mills possesses the size and work ethic to develop into a quality NFL OT. He needs to get stronger and refine his abilities but he gets that opportunity in this scenario behind Webb and Starks.

5. Vince Williams, MLB, Florida State - Williams was snubbed for the Combine but he made a big impression both on the field and as a leader at the Senior Bowl. He may push for SLB reps as a rookie while preparing to take over in the middle once Urlacher moves on.

6. Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford - A massive TE who takes pride in blocking but who also has very soft hands. As a 2nd TE behind Fred Davis he should serve as a significant red zone asset as well as a guy who should be able to exploit some mismatches with the extra attention in the passing game being paid to Marshall, Davis and Forte.

Depth:

QB: Cutler, Stanton, Blanchard
RB: Forte, Bush, Bell
FB: Rodriguez
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Woods, Weems, Anderson
TE: Davis, Toilolo, Adams
OT: Webb, Starks, Mills
OG: Cooper, Louis, Carimi, Brown
C: Garza, E Williams

DE: Peppers, Wootton, McClellin, Idonije
DT: Melton, Paea, Collins, Toeaina
LB: Urlacher, Briggs, McIntosh, Williams, Thomas, Castonzo, DeCicco
CB: Tillman, Jennings, Hayden, McCoy, McManis
S: Wright, Conte, Hardin, Steltz, Walters

K: Gould
P: Podlesh
LS: Mannelly

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.

Last edited by AZBearsFan on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Landru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mock. If Cooper is available, I am 100% in favour of drafting him. I just don't think he will be.

I also fully support the Fred Davis signing.
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Hester?
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:
Where's Hester?

Cut. Forgot to list that. I edited the OP.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it,

1. The free agency period looks realistic as I cannot see us spring for a big money guy, but more realistically 3-4 lesser guys to fill crippling needs.

2. Fred Davis is a risk with the injury and the drug tests. If he comes cheap then it is a good move, but we could spend a little more for a guy like Martellus Bennett who while he has baggage it is not as heavy.

3. Cooper is in my must pick list after the combine. The tough part will be what happens if we invest in the OL in free agency and we are picking between Cooper and Eifert?

4. I don't know if Robert Woods is the speed compliment that we are looking for and he is a lot like Bennett a savvy route runner with good hands. In your plan I would probably go MLB or OG/C as to me Garza is a bigger liability than Bennett.

5. Love Mills.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I like it,

1. The free agency period looks realistic as I cannot see us spring for a big money guy, but more realistically 3-4 lesser guys to fill crippling needs.

2. Fred Davis is a risk with the injury and the drug tests. If he comes cheap then it is a good move, but we could spend a little more for a guy like Martellus Bennett who while he has baggage it is not as heavy.

3. Cooper is in my must pick list after the combine. The tough part will be what happens if we invest in the OL in free agency and we are picking between Cooper and Eifert?

4. I don't know if Robert Woods is the speed compliment that we are looking for and he is a lot like Bennett a savvy route runner with good hands. In your plan I would probably go MLB or OG/C as to me Garza is a bigger liability than Bennett.

5. Love Mills.
Was just getting ready to post this, Woods is pretty much this year's Earl Bennett. Smarty, savvy player, who is all around solid.

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Cooper, Mills and Toilolo picks.

Not a big fan of the Fred Davis signing or the Robert Woods pick. Although talented, Davis comes with too many question marks. Instead I'd look to draft another TE in the 2nd ala Travis Kelce or Gavin Escobar.
SOCalBearsFan54

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the free agency. If Davis is able to play at a high level and stays clean he will do great things for this team. Coopers a solid pick. I got to see all of Wood's games at Usc since he was a freshmen. He reminds me a lot of Steve Smith from the Pete Carrol era, runs great routes, great hands and he's around the same size. He didn't have the production this year because of the ankle and Barkley forcing the ball to Marquis Lee. I'm not to familiar with Mills or Williams but they seem like good value picks. Didn't Toilolo have a lot of problems with concussions over his last couple seasons at Stanford? That's a little worrisome, but he's still a good player. Good Work.

2013 Adopt a Bear: LT Jermon Bushrod#74
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: AZ's post-combine mock Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Resign
OG Lance Louis (1 year, $2M) I doubt this will happen. It is very unlikely LL will be back to normal next year so he is going to want more years or he will be cut after a sub par year.
DT Henry Melton ($8.3M tag) Yeah, I can't see the Bears giving him a huge, long term contract any time soon. Even two years franchised is going to cost a lot.
DT Nate Collins (RFA)
MLB Brian Urlacher (1 year, $2M + incentives)
DE Israel Idonije (2 years, $5M)
CB Kelvin Hayden (1 year, $1M)
RB Kahlil Bell (1 year, $800k)

FA
TE Fred Davis (4 years, $17M) - a top receiving TE prior to a torn achilles last year. His doctors have declared him to be 100% and ready for full participation in OTAs. I think him coming off the injury and his prior drug suspension (any next one will be a full season) probably keeps this contract lower in value than his talent suggests he deserves. I don't want someone with the Sword of Damocles hanging over his head.

OT Max Starks (2 years, $7.5M) - massive at 6'8" 345 lb is not expected to be retained by PIT. He was solid if unspectacular at LT for PIT but is long in the tooth (31 years old). Should come as a reasonably priced short term option at OT. To play Right Tackle? I don't see him as better than Webb even stoned.

OLB Rocky McIntosh (1 year, $1M) - vet minimum one-year deal for an experienced OLB to compete for reps at SLB (no lock to win the job IMO - see below)

QB Drew Stanton (2 years, $2.75M) - a career backup with some limited starting experience. Ideally he never sees the field but if he does he should be able to move the ball. Me like

Extensions:

Charles Tillman (3 years, $30M added after 2013 (7, 10, 13), with $4M of this year's $8M salary converted to a signing bonus (hitting the cap $1M each year 2013-2016). 2013 cap savings: $3M

Major Wright (4 years, $15M replacing existing deal (1.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5) with a $3M signing bonus (hitting cap over 4 years at $750k per year). 2013 cap savings: $0

Cuts:
Kellen Davis (saves $2.4M)
Matt Spaeth (saves $1.05M)
Devin Hester (saves $1.85M)

Draft:

1. Jonathan Cooper, OG/C, North Carolina - Many think Cooper will go earlier but I am not one of them. He is a day 1 starter at LG who solidifies our biggest line need right away and could potentially move to center after Garza has moved on. Assuming Warmack goes before our pick Cooper is the guy I want more than anyone realistically available to us there. I think this is too high for a G/C but I would not complain. He or Warmack or both will be available because of position. I would prefer taking Jones in the second but that might require more manuevering than we can do.

2. Robert Woods, WR, USC - A savvy route runner and reliable YAC player, Woods possesses the skill set to take advantage of opportunities working all over the field. He doesn't have elite speed but isn't slow either, and he has produced huge numbers in an NFL-style offense and comes with an All-American pedigree. I want a WR who is faster than Bennett not one to compete with him.

4. Jordan Mills, OT, La Tech - Mills possesses the size and work ethic to develop into a quality NFL OT. He needs to get stronger and refine his abilities but he gets that opportunity in this scenario behind Webb and Starks. I like but think he will go at least a round earlier.

5. Vince Williams, MLB, Florida State - Williams was snubbed for the Combine but he made a big impression both on the field and as a leader at the Senior Bowl. He may push for SLB reps as a rookie while preparing to take over in the middle once Urlacher moves on. There were quite a few good players not invited to the Combine. Could you make a list of them? We need to carefully research guys who will go after the third round.

6. Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford - A massive TE who takes pride in blocking but who also has very soft hands. As a 2nd TE behind Fred Davis he should serve as a significant red zone asset as well as a guy who should be able to exploit some mismatches with the extra attention in the passing game being paid to Marshall, Davis and Forte. This is where we should be looking for a TE and there are several quality players who should be available in this area.

Depth:

QB: Cutler, Stanton, Blanchard
RB: Forte, Bush, Bell
FB: Rodriguez
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Woods, Weems, Anderson
TE: Davis, Toilolo, Adams
OT: Webb, Starks, Mills
OG: Cooper, Louis, Carimi, Brown
C: Garza, E Williams

DE: Peppers, Wootton, McClellin, Idonije
DT: Melton, Paea, Collins, Toeaina
LB: Urlacher, Briggs, McIntosh, Williams, Thomas, Castonzo, DeCicco
CB: Tillman, Jennings, Hayden, McCoy, McManis
S: Wright, Conte, Hardin, Steltz, Walters

K: Gould
P: Podlesh
LS: Mannelly
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I like it,

3. Cooper is in my must pick list after the combine. The tough part will be what happens if we invest in the OL in free agency and we are picking between Cooper and Eifert? Not really. Ten year Pro Bowl centers are much more valuable than TEs. We would not hesitate in taking him even if we sign a OL. We need two either immediately or very soon. There are a couple of dozen players I would take before any TE. And few here stress the importance of the line more than you.

5. Love Mills.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: