Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BEAST's 1st Mock of the Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: BEAST's 1st Mock of the Offseason Reply with quote

Cuts:

Wayne Hunter-OT
Quintin Mikell-S

Explanation: Neither should come as a surprise as most everyone doing a mock has done the same. Hunter was solid for us, especially when Saffold went down, but he's simply making too much money and he's getting up there in age. Mikell is also making too much money for his level of play. Yes, he turned it around towards the end of last season, but it still doesn't merit his level of pay.

Other Key Losses:

Steven Jackson-HB
Danny Amendola-WR

Explanation: While Jax has already voided his contract so its evident he isn't returning, Amendola's return is also seeming less and less likely. On paper, these two losses seem pretty devastating, though its not quite as bad as one on the outside would think. Jackson clearly isn't what he used to be (and on a side note, I think he deserves to go to an contender) and Amendola is constantly getting hurt. They're both replaceable at this point.

Free Agent Signings

Louis Delmas-FS: This signing just makes too much sense to me. We just signed Walton, his most recent DB coach as our DC. This replaces Mikell with a young, talented safety without breaking the bank. I won't make him out to be a superstar or the savior of our safety corps, but if nothing else, he should be a reliable guy to keep back there for a few years until we get an upgrade--barring injury of course, which is his main concern.

Daryl Smith-SLB: Smith is a talented OLB who would fill the void at the strongside backer position for a year or two. He is getting up there in age, so it would only be a stop-gap. But it would allow us to focus on other needs in the offseason and have a complete LB corp for the first time in a long time with Dunbar on the weakside.

Wayne Hunter-OT: Yes, I just cut him, but I still think he could be really valuable to our team as depth in case Saffold goes down again. Just at a lower price.

Willam Hayes-DE: Hayes played great for us last year. I fully expect them to re-sign him and keep his as our top rotational DL

DRAFT

1a) Chance Warmack-OG: If he makes it here, he's the obvious choice IMO, so I won't go too much into defending his case. We need to protect Sam more than anything and there was more pressure up the interior than anywhere last year. To me, one of either Warmack or Lane Johnson will be here. My money is on Johnson being gone and Warmack falling to us. If not, Johnson is certainly a nice consolation prize.

1b) Tavon Austin-WR: Dude is a weapon and an absolute playmaker. Really softens the blow of losing Amendola, if not making us completely forget about it. Austin's got great speed and can do almost anything with the ball. He'll be able to turn little dump off passes into something big--something we haven't really had in a long time. Also, our return game just got great.

2) Eric Reid-SS: Even with the signing of Delmas, we still have an empty spot at SS, since it doesn't seem like Darian Stewart will be getting any real playing time anytime soon. Reid was a supposed 1st rounder at the beginning of the year. But after an unspectacular season, he should drop somewhere around here. The guy is a great talent still and would be an enforcer on our D. Plus, something about him just screams that he's a Fisher type of player.

3) Kyle Long-OT: I'm not buying that Long goes in the second round, but it would be a great choice if we took him if he did fall to us here. Long would step right in at RT. A little unrefined, but with Boudreau teaching him up and Chris keeping on his @$$, I don't see anyway he could fail here. Just seems like the perfect situation for him and us. Also, next year if we find a better option at RT, we could move him to RG to replace Dahl, who's also getting up there in age.

4) Brandon Williams-DT: The man is real raw but his potential is even bigger than him. He comes from a smaller school, where he had great production--especially rushing the passer. With Wauffle coaching him up, he could turn into a phenominal penetrating DT. He's definitely a boom or bust type player, but in the 4th round, I'm willing to take that chance.

5) Michael Williams-TE: Williams is a great blocking TE, which is rare to see today, especially coming out of the draft. He's got great technique and strength in his blocks. This would free up Lance to be the receiving option that we drafted him to be and also help out in the passing and running game. Williams is actually a good receiver in his own right as well, but his lack of athleticism will cause him to drop.

6) Earl Wolff-FS: Not sure if he'll make it this far, but he's a bit under the radar and has some good potential at FS. I like what he brings to the table as a player. If Delmas were to go down at some point in the season, this guy might have a chance to shine. If not, talented depth is always a good thing.

I chose not to address the HB position or go after a #1 WR. This means the Rams are gonna have to take a leap of faith with the combo of Richardson/Pead at HB, and Quick/Givens as the #1/#2 receivers. I think the coaching staff and FO likes what they have in them, and so do I.
Thoughts?

^El Ramster^

Last edited by BEASToftheEAST4 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonezy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting Lineup:

QB: Bradford
HB: Richardson/Pead
WR: Quick, Givens
Slot: Austin
TE: Kendricks
LT: Saffold
LG: Warmack
C: Wells
RG: Dahl
RT: Long

LE: Long
DT: Brockers/Langford
RE: Quinn
SLB: Smith
MLB: Laurinaitis
WLB: Dunbar
CB: Finnegan/Jenkins/Johnson
FS: Delmas
SS: Reid

K: Zeurlein
P: Hekker
KR/PR: Austin

^El Ramster^
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonezy wrote:
Love this

Thank you sir!

^El Ramster^
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like it quite a bit. Would not be mad at this outcome.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it.
Halradio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft would certainly address the Rams screaming needs within the first three rounds and IMO realistic with the one possible exception of Warmack.

There are a lot of teams above the Rams with significant o-line issues and right now Chance is considered one of the best overall prospects.
kmklink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iwould take this scenario , and a cup of coffee and a dounut thank you very much !!!

Ithink Warmack will be gone but think Lane Johnson would be there !
Rok Watkins should be ready to plug in this year at G.

Iwould rather Find another WR instead of a TE in the later round.I think that bot Amendola and Gibson look for more money and cut our WR corp low. But again I'll have some of what yer sellin my friend......MMMMMM DRAFT !!!AAAAAHH
Faulk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be content with this, but I think im just a minority around here and don't like Austin as a first rounder
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faulk wrote:
I would be content with this, but I think im just a minority around here and don't like Austin as a first rounder

I'll be honest.. I wasn't at first either. Not at all, but the more research I did on him the more I liked the idea, especially with Amendola more and more likely to not return. I wouldn't have liked the concept of Austin if we were retaining Danny. Once the combine came and Tavon showed his elite athleticism, I was sold (I pretty much was already anyways)

^El Ramster^
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
This draft would certainly address the Rams screaming needs within the first three rounds and IMO realistic with the one possible exception of Warmack.

There are a lot of teams above the Rams with significant o-line issues and right now Chance is considered one of the best overall prospects.

I understand that Chance is one of the top prospects but I really see either him or Lane Johnson falling to us, more so Chance. A lot could depend on what KC does with that first pick. If it is Joeckel, then that'd really hinder the chances of either of them falling to us, but I still see them taking Geno (even if the Alex Smith trade goes through). Almost all the teams that could use OL help before us also have other pressing needs as well with conveniently talented prospects at that position as well.

^El Ramster^
Hoj398

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arent Tavon Austin and Chris Givens the same type of player?
nodefense

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jackson leaves, that 4th rd pick should be a RB in my opinion.
Faulk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:
Faulk wrote:

I'll be honest.. I wasn't at first either. Not at all, but the more research I did on him the more I liked the idea, especially with Amendola more and more likely to not return. I wouldn't have liked the concept of Austin if we were retaining Danny. Once the combine came and Tavon showed his elite athleticism, I was sold (I pretty much was already anyways)

I just think the Rams have more pressing needs than a 5'8 >175 wideout who isn't head and shoulders better than other prospects at that pick. I could see Austin being worth a 1st for a team like the Pats or something just not for the Rams at this point. I guess I could live with Austin though because I think the rest of the draft is great.
Emcee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faulk wrote:
BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:
Faulk wrote:

I just think the Rams have more pressing needs than a 5'8 >175 wideout who isn't head and shoulders better than other prospects at that pick. I could see Austin being worth a 1st for a team like the Pats or something just not for the Rams at this point. I guess I could live with Austin though because I think the rest of the draft is great.

You might also consider his impact on kick returns, an area we weren't so hot in last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: