Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CBS Sports rumor: bad blood between Schiano & Free ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: CBS Sports rumor: bad blood between Schiano & Free ? Reply with quote

Quote:
Increasingly controversial CBSSports.com senior NFL writer Pete Prisco is not backing off his Monday Twitter claim that Josh Freeman and Greg Schiano are not fond of each other.

Speaking yesterday on 98.7 FM to co-host and former Buccaneers defensive tackle Booger McFarland, Prisco explained that he was told of a strained relationship between head coach and quarterback from various sources at the NFL Scouting Combine.

ďItís not warm and fuzzy like they might want to portray it as. Letís put it at that,Ē Prisco said. ďAnd Iíve heard it from a bunch of different people at the combine and ran it by some others I knew and would know. Yeah, itís not a great relationship. And, you know, thereís actually rumblings that the Bucs are looking to draft a quarterback.Ē

First, Joe must say up front, Why does it matter whether Freeman and Schiano like each other? Itís not like Schiano is calling plays. And there are plenty of successful coaches that had strained relationships with their QBs.

Any Bucs fan could have expected that Schiano would come to Tampa and not be married to Freeman and/or feel like he has to be close to him or baby him.

For Joe, when Schiano set up a punt against Philadelphia to put the game in the hands of his heinous secondary, that was a clear sign Schiano had issues with Freeman.

Of course, thereís also a chance that the Bucs are spreading smoke screens around the NFL to help put them in position to trade down in the draft and use the extra pick to later trade up. Then thereís always the off chance that Schiano hates Michael Jackson.

Nothing new here. We kinda knew Schaono could possibly go after 'his' guy
Soul Glo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prisco not the best source..... tbh I doubt it, Schiano keeps things low key and doesn't say much, so he didn't have to go out of his way to back Freeman all over the combine. & honestly none of this came up all season.

I think it is easy to make assumptions because of where Freeman stands, it's easy to make rumors both ways. But to be honest, this is just more offseason speculation until proven otherwise.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul Glo wrote:
Prisco not the best source..... tbh I doubt it, Schiano keeps things low key and doesn't say much, so he didn't have to go out of his way to back Freeman all over the combine. & honestly none of this came up all season.

I think it is easy to make assumptions because of where Freeman stands, it's easy to make rumors both ways. But to be honest, this is just more offseason speculation until proven otherwise.

I agree to a certain degree. Tampa is usually good at keeping things in house so Prisco could be speculating. But I think there is some truth even if it don't come straight from Schianos mouth.

No extension talks. There were talks at a point before the season was ending then Dom basically said talks were off the table. Schiano continues to mention competition and has been interviewing qbs such as Ej Mabel , Landry Jones and apparently Tyler Wilson ? Could be wrong there. But I do know tey had there eyes on the qbs at the senior bowl.

I don't like prisco and his "sources" but I do believe there was and is a lot of frustration with Freeman's inconsistency.

Edit: I can see Freeman being upset wŪh us interviewing and looking at qbs. If he can't handle the pressure of competition then that certainly answers the question that he isn't a franchise qb.
Caaddy24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh I hate to hear these types of things, but I'm not gonna put much weight into these "rumors" at the same time.... Although, it seems to me like a lot of times things like this come out, they're true
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we have a dilemma where Freeman requests a trade? Think about it. Freeman's reps want to negotiate a contact with Dominik. Apparently Dom wants to put these talks on hold.

Schiano and bucs brass have been interviewing qbs at both sr bowl and combine. Several times you can see in games schiano frustrated with careless decisions.

If this report is true, I can see it happening.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg stating Freeman is our guy!

The more I think about it the more I think if true no way does this get out.

ZERO chance Freeman demands a trade.

Michael Johnson 11 tackles | 2 sacks | 1 ff
mfw096

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly how much value could we get for Freeman guys? What do you think? Would many teams be interested in him?
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfw096 wrote:
Honestly how much value could we get for Freeman guys? What do you think? Would many teams be interested in him?

It's too bad gene smith isn't in charge in Jacksonville anymore. He's the only dumb one I can think of that would surrender a high pick.

Maybe buffalo ? Who knows. It's pretty much hypothetical though.
Pvsports9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeman is a very talented quarterback...that seems incapable of making the consistent play. He's either throwing a picture perfect ball or throwing a ball that makes you say..."what the hell was he looking at"

Not my type of QB- obviously I'm not suggesting throwing a rookie into the fire when Freeman himself is young. But I'm ALL for targeting someone like Landry Jones if he makes it to round 4 and let him show us what he's got. Nice size, arm production...maybe a little too much tape on the kid for his own good or he might've been rated MUCH higher
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pvsports9 wrote:
Freeman is a very talented quarterback...that seems incapable of making the consistent play. He's either throwing a picture perfect ball or throwing a ball that makes you say..."what the hell was he looking at"

Not my type of QB- obviously I'm not suggesting throwing a rookie into the fire when Freeman himself is young. But I'm ALL for targeting someone like Landry Jones if he makes it to round 4 and let him show us what he's got. Nice size, arm production...maybe a little too much tape on the kid for his own good or he might've been rated MUCH higher

Meh, I've seen enough of Landry Jones to say, no at any point in the draft. He gets flustered under pressure and has struggled in big games over the past 2 years. He's got all the tools you look for , but doesnt do well under pressure.

If we draft a QB, Matt Scott out of Arizona is intriguing prospect who can make some noise in training camp and push Freeman. Athletic, strong arm, accurate, and he delivers a nice ball under pressure. Not saying he's going to be great, but the potential is there and really is an overlooked prospect right now.
Pvsports9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea he's ok too. I don't see many mid-late round prospects that really excite me too much this year like wilson the year before
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free will be our starting QB next season. There's 0% chance he's not. Every team scouts the top QB prospects. The only time it comes up in the news is when the team looking might need a new signal caller in the next few years.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
Free will be our starting QB next season. There's 0% chance he's not. Every team scouts the top QB prospects. The only time it comes up in the news is when the team looking might need a new signal caller in the next few years.

I agree. But I also believe there is a high chance we draft a guy. Schiano and Dom both have their jobs on te line here. They do want to have a quality back up option if freeman continues to play inconsistently.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:

I agree. But I also believe there is a high chance we draft a guy. Schiano and Dom both have their jobs on te line here. They do want to have a quality back up option if freeman continues to play inconsistently.

I don't think either do especially not Schiano. Everyoen knows what he has taken over. I can't see anyone saying next year of even the year after "why don't we have a franchise qb". I expect huge improvements on defense this year. Freeman gets another crack at it and if it doesn't go smooth he is gone. Then we start looking for another starter which could take years to become a franchise guy if at all.

Michael Johnson 11 tackles | 2 sacks | 1 ff
eggybucsfan31

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Prisco's source, don't tell anyone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: