Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are teams sleeping on Desmond Trufant as an elite prospect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you feel is Trufant was the Saints pick at 15?
Great
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Ok with it
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Disappointed
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Are teams sleeping on Desmond Trufant as an elite prospect? Reply with quote

Desmond Trufant CB Washington

With players like Dee Milliner and Xavier Rhodes wowing scouts at the combine with their combination of size and speed, I find it that a prospect like Washington’s Desmond Trufant might not be getting the love he deserves. At 5’11 190lbs, Trufant possesses good size for the corner position. He also ran a blazing (unofficial) 4.31 & 4.38 40 yard dash to go along with a 37.5 vertical, 3.85 20 yard shuttle and 16 reps on the bench press. Trufant topped it off by also being one of the best in his class in his drill work to boot.

Physical skills aside, Trufant was maybe the most impressive player throughout the week at the senior bowl. Scouts praised his effort, skill, technique and willingness to battle and compete. This is a guy who while at Washington last season demanded to be put on an island with every opposing team’s top receiver and WU head coach Steve Sarkisian obliged. Trufant comes from great stock and bloodlines (Brother Marcus Trufant a former 1st round pick) and seems to be ahead of the curve when it comes to understanding how to play the position.

What I truly like about Trufant though is his scrappiness! Trufant is the type of corner that NFL receivers will learn to hate. He’ll fight to the very end of every route on every play, he takes everything personal out on the field and is always up for any challenge while at the same time exuding the type of confidence you need a true #1 corner to have.

I think we all know that Rob Ryan covets talented cover corners and with Trufants skill and determination combined with his high football IQ and competitiveness… I honestly couldn’t find one bad thing to say if his name was called as the 15th pick to the Saints on draft day!

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had him in one of my mocks to us. But, seeing how we love to draft FSU players, and we draft alot of DBs, and so does Rob Ryan, I think Xavier Rhodes will be the pick. He'll slide to 15 IMO.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
I had him in one of my mocks to us. But, seeing how we love to draft FSU players, and we draft alot of DBs, and so does Rob Ryan, I think Xavier Rhodes will be the pick. He'll slide to 15 IMO.

Very well could... He's a big press man physical corner but he might not get past Miami or Tampa. Also, I think that Trufant may be the better corner prospect of the two. Rhodes could still very well end up at Safety.

krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Trufant I would take him over any corner but Millner. The only thing is I'm almost positive Matt Elam will be there at 15 and I would take Elam over any secondary player in the draft.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Very well could... He's a big press man physical corner but he might not get past Miami or Tampa. Also, I think that Trufant may be the better corner prospect of the two. Rhodes could still very well end up at Safety.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Trufant is better as well, that's just how I think it will go down. Is Payton a FSU alumni or something? We draft slot of Seminoles.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
I like Trufant I would take him over any corner but Millner. The only thing is I'm almost positive Matt Elam will be there at 15 and I would take Elam over any secondary player in the draft.

I like Milliner too but Alabama is all ZONE in the back end, have yet to see Milliner man up. Great prospect, top corner... not good fit for Saints.

Based solely on the position and the talent available I would have to believe Rhodes and Trufant battling it out to be the top corner prospect on the Saints board. I give the edge to Trufant due to the fact he seems like a more natural corner where as Rhodes could very well end up as another Malcolm Jenkins only slightly faster.

thesolution

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still hoping we trade back. He's projected as a late first.

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Trufant and Rhodes. Have a man crush on both guys, and actually like them both more than Milliner. I'd give the edge to Rhodes because of his size, tackling ability, and the fact that we play against Julio, Roddy, and VJax 4 games out of the season. I'd be happy with either guy at 15 though.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaccaro's speed was VERY disappointing. There is no way in a million years that I would take him over Elam.

As of now...I have Millner then Rhodes as DBs I would be willing to take at 15. I am not sold on our OLB situation...and I truly believe that OLB is the most important position on the defense other than 5-technique (depending on whether the Saints play a base 1-gap over or under), but Jordan should have the position on lock.

If JJ, Star (assuming he checks out medically), Werner, Jordan, Floyd, and Richardson aren't there in there at #15...I would be willing to take either Millner or Rhodes. Millner shouldn't drop, but he could if people prefer Rhodes and are frightened by Millner's pending labrum surgery (which by the way, I am not...four months after surgery he will very likely be 100%...so he will be ready for training camp). If none of those guys are there...and the Saints have their LT situation figured out...I am trying hard to trade back.

I honestly don't see a big difference between Mingo, Moore, Lemonier, and Collins at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: