Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Anybody smell a trade down coming ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SUG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Anybody smell a trade down coming ? Reply with quote

Has anybody boiled their wishlist down to 2 players they would be willing to trade down from if they arent available @ # 12 ?

Just asking since there are only about 4 or 5 guys that I'd feel GREAT about @ #1

At what point do you pull the rip cord...?

sug
Warpticon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems highly unlikely unless somebody coveted slips pretty far. This is not a year where the top guys really stand out from the rest.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are going to be many trades in the early rounds. This draft is loaded with players rated closely together. I don't see any off the charts must haves this year. Any team that does take a significant jump up, is at the time of the draft in desperation mode.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 14, Tackles 17 Assists 6 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 14 : Death 45 Joe 37
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, I would welcome a trade down as I believe its almost always beneficial in the 1st round. The thing is finding a trade partner who wants to trade up. This isn't the strongest draft class, so I doubt it unless a top prospect miraculously falls to us... even then, its iffy.

So yeah, while I would welcome it with open arms, I doubt it personally.

Nacho Simulation Football League
IbleedMiamiAqua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if a top prospect somehow falls to us I want him...Geno Smith might be the only consistant top 12 prospect that I wouldn't welcome with open arms to the dolphins.
-trading down to fill more holes is for teams that can find a player in the second round..we finally find a "good" not great player in the 2nd and he wants to get paid at an elite level before he's even proven anything.
-I would love to have JPP or earl Thomas instead of odrick and misi
-I will deff not endorse a trade down this year. I entertained it earlier but the class isn't strong enough. I don't want fill a few holes with good players, give me a great player In 1 hole.
Emerica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, what does it smell?

Joking aside, I don't see it. I think we stay put and I like it like that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IbleedMiamiAqua wrote:
And if a top prospect somehow falls to us I want him...Geno Smith might be the only consistant top 12 prospect that I wouldn't welcome with open arms to the dolphins.
-trading down to fill more holes is for teams that can find a player in the second round..we finally find a "good" not great player in the 2nd and he wants to get paid at an elite level before he's even proven anything.
-I would love to have JPP or earl Thomas instead of odrick and misi
-I will deff not endorse a trade down this year. I entertained it earlier but the class isn't strong enough. I don't want fill a few holes with good players, give me a great player In 1 hole.

Um, this is EXACTLY why you'd want to trade down. There is virtually no elite talent in this draft. Almost every prospect in the late 1st to 2nd round is at about the same level. Therefore, why WOULDN'T you want two picks instead of one? There is no JPP or Earl Thomas in this draft. In essence, the top end of this draft is mostly comprised of players who would be, for the most part, a 2nd round pick in most other drafts.

Nacho Simulation Football League
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The depth in the draft could also play into our favor when wanting to trade down.

We could move down 10 spots or so, sweeten the deal by accepting slightly less than the value difference between the 2 picks, and if we picked up a 3rd for the trade down, we could still possibly pick up a starting caliber player with that new 3rd. We wouldn't have to demand a 3rd and 4th to trade down.

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a top CB, DE, 3tech DT or OT there at #12 we should draft them.

Oh Man we are so Miami Dolphin!
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no. There isn't a player in the draft (UNLESS a team falls in love with Millner, which he is a top 7 lock) worth trading up for. There has to be a team willing to trade up, and quite frankly it's not a buyers market.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have five picks in the first three rounds. I'd be down to trade down, but only if the offer is a great one, and in this draft, that seems doubtful. I really like the idea of trading down for picks next year, though.
DeesNutts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to some how get another first round pick next year. Just for the off chance that we could have a package to move up and get Clowney. A boy can dream.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealMetalFan wrote:
The depth in the draft could also play into our favor when wanting to trade down.

We could move down 10 spots or so, sweeten the deal by accepting slightly less than the value difference between the 2 picks, and if we picked up a 3rd for the trade down, we could still possibly pick up a starting caliber player with that new 3rd. We wouldn't have to demand a 3rd and 4th to trade down.

Yeah, I think everybody gets why it would be beneficial to trade dwon. The issue is that, in order to trade down, somebody has to be willing to trade up. This draft class is deep but lacks superlative talent at the top end, so unless somebody really far back falls in love with a dropping prospect, there aren't likely to be too many opportunities to trade down.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really this isn't a draft of great players. This is a draft full of good and developmental players. There are a few like Patton and Hunter that can be steals and be very good to elite but there really isn't anybody that just makes you say, I need this guy at 12!

UniversalAuthor
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why we are knocking the players in this draft. It seems like we are giving them all C+ to B- ... Granted, there isn't the QB class we all like and that may affect the production of the WRs and TEs, but the GMs are all expressing different views. I tend to agree with them

For a team that has offensive line issues like us. This offseason is packed with options. Now, I can picture Tannehill being able to make that 5 to 7 step drop and step up in the pocket in piece. I see WRs that can make that worth his while. I see DBs that can prevent that from happening to us. I see options.

I don't know if I smell a trade down, but I sure as hell can picture it. In fact I would do it myself. But here's the thing about having all these options. It takes away the element of desperation a team would need to trade up. That just means tougher negotiations, not impossible negotiations.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: