Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Overrated/underrated/sleepers pg 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Overrated/underrated/sleepers pg 3 Reply with quote

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1554958-2013-nfl-draft-why-safety-john-boyett-provides-great-value-in-the-later-rounds

I had put this tread together before about late round steals but today I found an article about John Boyett who's tumbles down the draft boards because of injury and he was tough in 2011 playing through two torn tendons. Boyett has 2nd round, possibly 1st round talent and if we don't take a FS early (or wven of we do) taking Boyett in the late rounds to develop would be a smart idea.

Quote:
04/10/2013 - Napa's John Boyett worked out for eight NFL teams today, running the 40-yard dash, catching passes and doing different drills in his Pro Day at Napa Memorial Stadium. Boyett, who starred at the University of Oregon as a free safety, was clocked at 4.57 in the 40. He also talked with scouts from each of the teams afterward. Officials from the San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders, Indianapolis Colts, Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos, Cleveland Browns and New York Giants were on the field to time and check out Boyett in the 45-minute workout.
Boyett looked sharp as he went through a battery of drills - backpedaling and cutting and catching passes thrown by Ted LeMasters, a former Napa High quarterback who played college baseball at Long Beach State and the University of San Francisco. Boyett said he still isn't at full strength, but was happy with the way everything went. He has been doing rehab and training six days a week. There was a light wind that he was running directly into. He caught each of the 11 passes thrown to him, sometimes having to react and run to a ball on the opposite side of the field.

"Everything I heard was great stuff," he said. "They were very surprised with how well I moved and they're excited to see what I do when I get into camp. "It felt great just to be out here on the football field. This field means a lot to me. Teddy came out here and helped me do a workout. It was just fun being out here. We have a lot of good memories in this stadium." Boyett has been medically cleared for workouts. "I was very happy just to come out here and just be able to run around a little bit, let alone impress the teams the way I did. They were very impressed with how fast I ran for only being a little over five months on a six-month recovery. In a month I'll be faster and better than I am right now." - Marty James, Napa Valley Register

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1540250-hidden-gems-at-every-position-in-the-2013-nfl-draft-class?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Here is an article of some Hidden Gems they feel are the draft.

1. EJ Manuel, QB- FSU
2. Knile Davis, RB- Ark
3. Zach Line, FB- SMU
4. Da'Rick Rogers, WR- Tenn tech
5. Vance McDonald, TE- Rice
6. Ricky Wagner, T- Wisconsin
7. Brian Winters, G- Kent State
8. Khaled Holmes, C- USC
9. Corey Lemonier, Auburn- DE
10. Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern State- DT
11. Trevardo Williams, Connecticut- 3-4 Olb
12. AJ Klein, ISU- ILB
13. Tyrann Mathieu, LSU- CB
14. Bacarri Rambo, GA- FS

Who do you have on your lists?

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to put AJ Kline until I finished scrolling down the list.
He had 116 tackles last year. 117 this year. Lacked in Tackles for Loss. But he plays so much like Fletcher. Great football brain that tackles and goes side to side extremely well causing short gainss. No risk taking, he just knows the play and how to shut it down for a min gain over risking something that will allow for a big play.

Wort from OU at LB too.
Hes a raw but talented player. I like that rawness for a guy like Fletcher to help mold before leaving. He probably should of stayed a year, but its good he didnt cause we can get him later and coach him up our own way.

Hawthorne from Illinois at CB. He had to put up with such a crappy coaching staff his first couple years. This past year I think was his first real year of quality college coaching. Heard it showed in the East West Shrine game too. As its said he looked like one of the best out there. Hes a bit of a sleeper which I wouldnt mind even nabbing in the 2nd. Draft stock has been rising though. So. So far it seems Im pretty on key with this prospect.

Phillip Thomas from Fresno at S. Missed year before last with a broken leg. But had a great year this one. Great nose for the ball. Had he been able to play in '11. Hed of been better this season and I believe would of been one of the top 3 safeties off the board with ease.

Ill try in add more when I get time.

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa
Robert Alford, CB, SE Louisiana
Johnny Adams, CB, Michigan State
Dwayne Gratz, CB, Connecticut
Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse (4.38 40 Combine)
B.W. Webb, CB, W&M
Marquise Gray, QB, Minnesota
Duke Williams, S, Nevada (4.43 Combine)

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pull with Wort Parrothead, I know he's caught your eye for a while now. he does get lost in the shuffle but that guys a heck of a football player.

Wow mike23! I didn't realize that Shamarko Thomas and Duke Williams did that well in the 40. Sweet!

How did they do in the other drills? Especially the 3 cone, 20 yard shuttle and field drills? Those are important also because it shows a players change of direction abilities

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have not gotten to those drills yet. Its on nfl live.

issue with Shamarko Thomas is that he is 5'8.

Swearinger turned in 4.6.

P. Thomas turned in 4.6

Trufant ran a 4.31.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:

P. Thomas turned in 4.6

Trufant ran a 4.31.
oh ok. I can't watch, I'm at work. Sad Please keep us updated.

Wow! Trufant 4.31 Shocked

Damn disappointing times for Swearing and P Thomas but to be honest I'm not all at surprised with either time. I've heard some rumblings all along that some scouts thought Swearing and P Thomas were better at SS than FS.

Lets see what they do in the other drills though.

mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
mike23md wrote:

P. Thomas turned in 4.6

Trufant ran a 4.31.

Damn disappointing times for Swearing and P Thomas but to be honest I'm not all at surprised with either time. I've heard some rumblings all along that some scouts thought Swearing and P Thomas were better at SS than FS.

For a S those numbers are not bad.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amerson ran a 4.38 while Steve Williams from Cal ran a 4.25

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
mike23md wrote:

P. Thomas turned in 4.6

Trufant ran a 4.31.

For a S those numbers are not bad.
dont most run 4.5? At least Free safeties?

Heck, linebackers are running those times or faster these days.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Amerson ran a 4.38 while Steve Williams from Cal ran a 4.25
holly crap! Shocked 4.25?? That's faster than Tyler's me everything Marquise Goodwin. Wink

mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you have to remember, that S's are not being asked for the most part to cover fast vertical WR's. they are being asked to cover portions of the field. Or to line up over a TE or cover a swing pass or screen pass. They dont need the straight line speed that some of these corners are showing.

Poyer ran a 4.47.

but having a time for a S in the 4.50's is ideal, but still at 4.60 that is not a bad time.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:

P. Thomas turned in 4.6

Trufant ran a 4.31.

Shamarko plays much bigger than 5'8 issue with him is his hands, he can't catch a cold but he lays the hammer and plays very, very smart.

mike23md on the sig!
footy_29

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
mike23md wrote:

P. Thomas turned in 4.6

Trufant ran a 4.31.

Shamarko plays much bigger than 5'8 issue with him is his hands, he can't catch a cold but he lays the hammer and plays very, very smart.

He is JACKED. With how fast he was running, he is a player that I would not want to be tackled by. Same goes for Elam....those are two players who are going to bring the wood and have a great deal of success as run-support safeties.

Earl Wolff and Eric Reid are certainly on my radar for FS prospects. You just know that there are going to be teams that will be enamoured with T.J. Macdonald's workout numbers, I just hope that the Redskins are not one of those teams.

I was not surprised that Phillip Thomas and D.J. Swearinger underwhelmed a bit. I still see Phillip Thomas as a late third rounder.
-----------------
I thought Poyer would test far better than he did (4.54 40 yard). In the workouts he didn't look as good as I thought he would - instead of climbing up to the top of the seccond round, I think you'll see him passed by a few corners and end up as a fourth rounder. These corners in the second and third round came out to prove something and earned their spots, some corners didn't do what they had to do.
----------

The player to watch and hope that the Redskins can get is Robert Alford. I think he'll be gone before pick 40, but he is a player that might have stood out the most during the Senior Bowl week among the DBs and he put up numbers to back up his continual rise up the boards.

BW Webb is going to be a second rounder, and Steve Williams, Jamar Taylor, Darius Slay and David Amerson have a good chance to go in the round.

At some point on day two there is going to be a run on corners. I would not be shocked if no less than 10 corners were picked before pick 70. It does mean that the Redskins are sitting in very good position to pick up DBs at their second, third and fourth rounders. Not to say they will pick only DBs there, but with this class looking the way they are there will be a couple of players who fall through the cracks and you will get a very good player in the late third or fourth round.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
But you have to remember, that S's are not being asked for the most part to cover fast vertical WR's. they are being asked to cover portions of the field. Or to line up over a TE or cover a swing pass or screen pass. They dont need the straight line speed that some of these corners are showing.

Poyer ran a 4.47.

but having a time for a S in the 4.50's is ideal, but still at 4.60 that is not a bad time.
True, and like I said, the hips and change of direction is what matters more.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
mike23md wrote:

P. Thomas turned in 4.6

Trufant ran a 4.31.

He is JACKED. With how fast he was running, he is a player that I would not want to be tackled by. Same goes for Elam....those are two players who are going to bring the wood and have a great deal of success as run-support safeties.

Earl Wolff and Eric Reid are certainly on my radar for FS prospects. You just know that there are going to be teams that will be enamoured with T.J. Macdonald's workout numbers, I just hope that the Redskins are not one of those teams.

I was not surprised that Phillip Thomas and D.J. Swearinger underwhelmed a bit. I still see Phillip Thomas as a late third rounder.
-----------------
I thought Poyer would test far better than he did (4.54 40 yard). In the workouts he didn't look as good as I thought he would - instead of climbing up to the top of the seccond round, I think you'll see him passed by a few corners and end up as a fourth rounder. These corners in the second and third round came out to prove something and earned their spots, some corners didn't do what they had to do.
----------

The player to watch and hope that the Redskins can get is Robert Alford. I think he'll be gone before pick 40, but he is a player that might have stood out the most during the Senior Bowl week among the DBs and he put up numbers to back up his continual rise up the boards.

BW Webb is going to be a second rounder, and Steve Williams, Jamar Taylor, Darius Slay and David Amerson have a good chance to go in the round.

At some point on day two there is going to be a run on corners. I would not be shocked if no less than 10 corners were picked before pick 70. It does mean that the Redskins are sitting in very good position to pick up DBs at their second, third and fourth rounders. Not to say they will pick only DBs there, but with this class looking the way they are there will be a couple of players who fall through the cracks and you will get a very good player in the late third or fourth round.
Footy. Do you see Reid making it to us in round 2?

I'm worried that NYJ, Phila, NYG, Pitt, or Dallas is going to take him a few picks before we select.

If we are going to trade up for a prospect it might be wise to bundle a few picks to jump up to the late 1st or early 2nd to ensure we get the best safety prosect we can get.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: