Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots release WR Brandon Lloyd; Prevents $3M bonus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naq wrote:
even after resigning most of our key guys we should still have a lot of Cap space left.

If by "key guys" you're including all 3 of Talib, Welker and Vollmer to close-to-market deals, they won't have much cap space at all after re-signing some of the other guys (some combination of White, Koutouvides, Arrington, Woodhead, Edelman, Thomas)
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Naq wrote:
even after resigning most of our key guys we should still have a lot of Cap space left.

If by "key guys" you're including all 3 of Talib, Welker and Vollmer to close-to-market deals, they won't have much cap space at all after re-signing some of the other guys (some combination of White, Koutouvides, Arrington, Woodhead, Edelman, Thomas)

If they kept all 3 "key guys" and re-upped thomas and arrington i wouldn't be mad. Along with draft picks I would say we improved on a top 5 all around squad from last season.

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
samgurl775

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Sciz wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
Wut. Any chance we resign him for less? I really don't want to see him go.
If he's being detrimental to the locker room, the only real solution is to get him out of the locker room.

From the descriptions it can't be that bad. Though I do remember in Denver he said it was a stupid decision to fire McDaniels and that he wanted out when tebow got the start.
Yeah, I have a really hard time believing his behavior was so toxic that they're going to just release him.

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Surely Josh McDaniels would have mentioned this to someone in the Pats FO before we signed him??

A bit gutted if he goes, but now more reason to pursue Brian Hartline Smile

Lloyd had supposed locker room/character concerns of this nature before though. I think the hope was that his affection for McDaniels would help keep him happy and in line.

There's no way Belichick wouldn't know about Lloyd's personality issues.

I do agree about Hartline though, he'd be a great addition though I don't know if he's necessarily better than Lloyd was last year.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not see him go, but he's easily replaceable. Not much of a factor throughout the season.

ELRammy
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgurl775 wrote:
Donut wrote:
Sciz wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
If he's being detrimental to the locker room, the only real solution is to get him out of the locker room.

From the descriptions it can't be that bad. Though I do remember in Denver he said it was a stupid decision to fire McDaniels and that he wanted out when tebow got the start.
Yeah, I have a really hard time believing his behavior was so toxic that they're going to just release him.

It's probably a simple sums thing. 900 unspectacular yards + difficult personality =/= 5 million dollars well spent.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 31 Yards: 409 TDs: 4
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
Donut wrote:
Sciz wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:

It's probably a simple sums thing. 900 unspectacular yards + difficult personality =/= 5 million dollars well spent.

Seems like the best explanation. If he were a happy camper and a great teammate, he probably would have more of a chance of sticking.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it makes sense that this is only starting to come out now, right after reports that a 3 year deal with Welker is making a lot of headway following the Brady restructure. It's likely that, since Lloyd is the only viable WR under contract, his status greatly depended on whether or not the Patriot thought they could retain Welker before FA starts.

So if they re-sign Welker (which seems inevitable at this point in time), we are in the same boat entering FA. Only 2 WR's under contract with one being a STer and another leaving via FA. The position HAS to be revamped at this point, but we still have Talib and Vollmer to resign, and if we can't get Talib and Alfonzo (unlikely but possible) gets some jail time, we are suddenly left cornerless with Arrington also hitting FA.

Sigs-Taking Requests
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
it makes sense that this is only starting to come out now, right after reports that a 3 year deal with Welker is making a lot of headway following the Brady restructure. It's likely that, since Lloyd is the only viable WR under contract, his status greatly depended on whether or not the Patriot thought they could retain Welker before FA starts.

So if they re-sign Welker (which seems inevitable at this point in time), we are in the same boat entering FA. Only 2 WR's under contract with one being a STer and another leaving via FA. The position HAS to be revamped at this point, but we still have Talib and Vollmer to resign, and if we can't get Talib and Alfonzo (unlikely but possible) gets some jail time, we are suddenly left cornerless with Arrington also hitting FA.

There was speculation (IIRC from the same source, Bedard) weeks ago about Lloyd possibly being released.
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
There was speculation (IIRC from the same source, Bedard) weeks ago about Lloyd possibly being released.
Bedard framed it as "this is what I would do" at the time, but I wonder if he had some info already then.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Bedard framed it as "this is what I would do" at the time, but I wonder if he had some info already then.

Yeah, Bedard acts like a belligerent oaf sometimes, but his handle on the pulse of the team seems decent.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

I remember this too, but it seemed like more of one of those stringing some bits of info together kind of reports. I wouldn't be surprised if he was spot on though, and the plan was to retain Welker and release Lloyd.

Sigs-Taking Requests
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Patriots will have $1 million cap hit in 2013 and 2014 if Lloyd is released after June 1st.
Tom Brady Tribute
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
The Patriots will have $1 million cap hit in 2013 and 2014 if Lloyd is released after June 1st.

Ive read that 2 mil total in dead money would occur if released now. His 3 mil option bonus is due at the end of March and releasing him before then would save 4.9 mil in cap space.

Sigs-Taking Requests
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Ive read that 2 mil total in dead money would occur if released now. His 3 mil option bonus is due at the end of March and releasing him before then would save 4.9 mil in cap space.

Yeah, I thought the financial aspect of cutting him was to avoid the March bonus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: