Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots release WR Brandon Lloyd; Prevents $3M bonus
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Patriots release WR Brandon Lloyd; Prevents $3M bonus Reply with quote

Quote:
When the Patriots signed Brandon Lloyd during the 2012 offseason, they gave themselves an out heading into 2013 by including an option bonus. The Patriots are now expected to use that out.
Bedard cited “erratic behavior in the locker room and on the practice field” as a reason the Patriots may not choose to bring back the wideout. Lloyd has been known for his hot and cold demeanor his entire career.

http://nesn.com/2013/02/report-brandon-lloyd-not-expected-to-be-back-for-2013-season-due-to-erratic-behavior/

Lloyd has a $3 million option on the 3-year, $12 million he signed last season.

The 10-year veteran played for 6 NFL teams in his career and was expected to bring deep threat ability to New England after leading the NFL in receiving yards with 1,448 in 2010 but finished with 74 catches for 911 yards and 4 TDs in 2012.

He still has some ability to make acrobatic catches but he isn't worth the $4.9M he is due to make if the Patriots pick-up his option.

***Update***
Quote:
The Patriots will release Brandon Lloyd, according to a source.

http://twitter.com/jeffphowe/statuses/313005576110096384

***Update***
Quote:
And ... Brandon Lloyd has been released by the Patriots -- Which needed to happen by 3:59. So he's officially a free agent.

http://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/313018073558945793
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm; edited 4 times in total
patsfan25

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very surprised to be honest. From what I saw, he was nothing but a class act and a hard worker. Looks like WR will definitely be looked at in FA/draft even more now.

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.
redsoxsrule1437

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this means we bring back Welker and bring in another quality free agent WR then I'm all for it.

When this idea was first brought up it shocked me. If he really is a cancer then cut him loose.

Either way WR is a huge need this off season.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? This seems like a terrible idea. Lloyd is the prototype #2 wide receiver. Nothing spectacular, but nothing overly weak. He compliments a Hunter/Patterson/Williams perfectly.

"Erratic behavior"? I am going to call BS on this. We would have heard about it.

If we release Lloyd AND lose Welker...we will be adding at least 3 starting type receivers this off season. Somehow I doubt Brady signed that long term discount deal without assurances he would have toys to play with.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
patsfan25

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
What? This seems like a terrible idea.

Lloyd is the prototype #2 wide receiver. Nothing spectacular, but nothing overly weak. He compliments a Hunter/Patterson/Williams perfectly.

"Erratic behavior"? I am going to call BS on this. We would have heard about it

My thoughts as well. It's one thing to not pick up the option because they don't think he's worth it. But to say he had that kind of behavior is a big surprise at the least.

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.
adesilva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be ok with that if it meant keeping Welker+ Edelman and signing a decent FA WR then getting a WR in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

Maybe someone like Brian Hartline as a solid #2 outside receiver could come at a decent price? Unless of course Miami throws good money at him to make him stay.
NewNutz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must have something in the works for one of the big fa wr's as well as welker. I don't think brady would've taken that team friendly deal if they were going to get rid of lloyd and not replace him
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the "saved" money, and the LLoyd news, anyone thinking Wes + Bowe or We +Wallace or financially and fundamentally is that still a pipe dream?

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Patriots were careful to build protection into the deal they signed with Lloyd last offseason, knowing his history of alienating coaches and teammates. If they cut Lloyd now, they can avoid paying him a $3 million option bonus and save $4.9 million against the cap in 2013, according to Bedard.

That is the only tempting reason to cut him. $4.9m in cap savings, on top of Brady's extension, gives us - if espn is right - roughly $32 million in cap space this season. That is an enormous number. Volmer, Talib, a safety, and a WR should all be signed fairly easily with that number.

Add in another top 70 pick for Mallet, and we look scary as ever.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
With the "saved" money, and the LLoyd news, anyone thinking Wes + Bowe or We +Wallace or financially and fundamentally is that still a pipe dream?

We needed to add at least one receiver on top of Welker and Lloyd. So if we lose one of them, we need to add 2. If we lose both, we need to bring in 3 new guys.Volmer and Talib will combine for 15m ish. If we have 32m as ESPN says, that leaves 17 million for the draft, a safety, and 1, if not 2, wr's.

So, say hypothetically we trade Mallet to the Browns for their 3rd and 6th round picks. Draft picks requires ~$5.8m.

We do the 15m for Talib/Volmer. That leaves us with $11.2m for receivers and a safety. Committing much of that to a Wes Welker looks foolish. My guess is we would add a decent safety and decent receiver with it, and then draft an impact receiver fairly high.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. He's not the type of player they need.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange to say the least. He's not ideal, but you could do far worse at 3 million per year.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
finn54

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/02/thoughts_on_bra.html

Quote:
You just never know what you're going to get with Lloyd, and either you can deal with it or you can't. For example, talked to one player a few weeks ago that said he was talking to Lloyd about something and suddenly Lloyd said in mid-sentence, "I don't want to talk to you anymore," and put his headphones on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ sounds like he's bipolar

I wonder what Belichick is planning with all this cap space, because even after resigning most of our key guys we should still have a lot of Cap space left.

UniversalAuthor wrote:
Hate being up by 13, sets us up for a 1 point loss.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign Wes, Talib and Mike Wallace and maybe Reed...CHAMPIONSHIP!

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: