Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

It's a trap!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:
there is no way we resign sammie for 2 years 4 million. Thats crazy

Why?
It'd be a bit of a bargain

R.I.P. Stylish
Tha Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He signed. 1 year 1.25 m deal last year. He had 15 tackles and no sacks. Can't imagine him getting much more. I don't see many teams targeting him, and paying him starter money. Maybe 3 years 6.5m max for us
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:
He signed. 1 year 1.25 m deal last year. He had 15 tackles and no sacks. Can't imagine him getting much more. I don't see many teams targeting him, and paying him starter money. Maybe 3 years 6.5m max for us

That's the difference between restricted free agency and unrestricted free agency.

Team Stylish

Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Tha Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ufa will be interesting this year. I don't see Hill going for much. George Wilson just went 2 years 4 million
detfan782004

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:

U are about right. He is extremely overrated on here for being a depth guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:
Ufa will be interesting this year. I don't see Hill going for much. George Wilson just went 2 years 4 million

Wilson had over 100 tackles last year and he's a longtime veteran with a lot of starting experience. So if Sammie Hill gets the same type of contract, I'd be a little surprised, considering he's probably not going to start anywhere. That said, I mean it's kind of splitting hairs. 2 years, $3 million is a little more realistic but it's not exactly a big difference from a salary cap perspective. Hill will get a reasonable, small contract and he will probably see a bigger role because Corey Williams isn't likely to be resigned for cap reasons.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Tha Franchise wrote:

Wilson had over 100 tackles last year and he's a longtime veteran with a lot of starting experience. So if Sammie Hill gets the same type of contract, I'd be a little surprised, considering he's probably not going to start anywhere. That said, I mean it's kind of splitting hairs. 2 years, $3 million is a little more realistic but it's not exactly a big difference from a salary cap perspective. Hill will get a reasonable, small contract and he will probably see a bigger role because Corey Williams isn't likely to be resigned for cap reasons.

Well, George Wilson will be 32 going into this year, so that may have had something to do with it. He also hasn't been a full time starter for the majority of his time in Buffalo.

I'd be interested to see a list of contracts signed by players in FA the last few years broken down by age and position.
dockthegreat1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get what people dont like about dee miliner he is a stud...people say that he isnt a lock down corner but how many lock down corners are there in the league? Maybe 2 or 3...if he can be a good to very good corner thats good enough for this draft...there are 2 elite players and a bunch of maybes...warmack and joeckel are the only elite prospects theres huge question mark about everyone else...
Tha Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB isn't the young mans' position it once was. Speed is great, but with all the passing in today's league, it comes down to instincts. Read option, play action, double moves, and pick plays are nightmarish to young cbs.

Paying top dollar to ufa free agents seems a bit silly too. A tenured stud CB may have a read on certain QB and WR tendencies from the 6 games a year against divisional foes. Nnamdi Aso made a free agent fortune by playing on an awful team that was always behind, and had terrible run D. Aso has skills too, but didn't face elite competition at WR often, nor were his divisional games against elie QBs. Even with Rivers the WRs there haven't been toughest to cover. He was overpaid for succeeding in a beneficial set of circumstances.

My point?

Shop for corners in the clearance section. You know, last years model but still high quality. Nate Clements, Carlos Rogers, etc. instant improvements to their new teams, discount price.

Now look at pat Peterson, mike Jenkins, Talib, DRC, Antoine Cason ,Aaron Ross, Prince Amu, etc. not many first round QBs have a major impact on the defense of the team that drafts them. It often takes 3-4 years to really gel and get it. By then they want 50mil from a new team.

Aside from Revis island Whois the last impact CB in the top 20 of the draft?
DetroitLions07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:
CB isn't the young mans' position it once was. Speed is great, but with all the passing in today's league, it comes down to instincts. Read option, play action, double moves, and pick plays are nightmarish to young cbs.

Paying top dollar to ufa free agents seems a bit silly too. A tenured stud CB may have a read on certain QB and WR tendencies from the 6 games a year against divisional foes. Nnamdi Aso made a free agent fortune by playing on an awful team that was always behind, and had terrible run D. Aso has skills too, but didn't face elite competition at WR often, nor were his divisional games against elie QBs. Even with Rivers the WRs there haven't been toughest to cover. He was overpaid for succeeding in a beneficial set of circumstances.

My point?

Shop for corners in the clearance section. You know, last years model but still high quality. Nate Clements, Carlos Rogers, etc. instant improvements to their new teams, discount price.

Now look at pat Peterson, mike Jenkins, Talib, DRC, Antoine Cason ,Aaron Ross, Prince Amu, etc. not many first round QBs have a major impact on the defense of the team that drafts them. It often takes 3-4 years to really gel and get it. By then they want 50mil from a new team.

Aside from Revis island Whois the last impact CB in the top 20 of the draft?

Excellent post, agree 100%.
WE-R-Lions

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:
Thanks all!

1 Eric Fisher
2 Matt Elam
3 Sio Moore

Fisher solidifies LT with a true pass blocker. I will compare to Ryan Clady. I feel fine with Reiff at RT. One safe pick entrenches LT and RT. with only Dom (old) and Sims (nearing contract) really in place and Reiff possibly in over his head at LT, I would say this makes sense. We already have the farm into Calvin and Stafford, we should give them some time to connect, and block well enough to balance the offense.

We draft Ansah or another DE, and odds are against that player being better than Avril. Not many 4/3 DEs have double digit sack production. We have one. Signing a guy like Chrilus or Levitre for 5-6 million, sticking Reiff at LT, and taking a high risk DE is not wise.

Elam and Moore are athletic, productive, and both really big play guys. Day one starters.

We get a 3rd down back like Barner maybe round 5.

Free agents

Michael Johnson or Avril - 4 years 40 million
LoJack 2 years 3.5 million
Sammie Lee Hill 2 years 4 million

DeAndre Levy 3 years 8.5 million

Quentin Jammer 2 years 6.5 million
Chris Houston 4 years 20 million
Charles Woodson 2 years 7 million

Find me a cheap RG and write it up

I always feel games are won at the line.

I do like the the Fisher pick at 5, You rarely if ever find a LT later in the draft.

36 WR Markus Wheaton (Young's replacement).

What would you think of DE Tank Carradine @ 65? (I think he drops to 65).

"Florida State DE Tank Carradine (ACL surgery) measured 6-foot-4 1/8 and 276 pounds at Saturday's Combine weigh-in.
Carradine's college listing was 6-foot-5, 251, so he's stouter than expected. Before tearing the ACL last November, Carradine posted 13 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, and a team-high 20 QB hurries (more than Bjoern Werner) in 11 games. Medical checks will determine whether Carradine still has a shot at the first round."
Source: Bryan Broaddus on Twitter

Comp pick: 95 RB Andre Ellington or BPA.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Tha Franchise wrote:

U are about right. He is extremely overrated on here for being a depth guy

He's one of the best depth DTs in the NFL. How can we overrate that? You just hate him so you have something else to complain to Mayhew about.
Tha Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dockthegreat1 wrote:
I don't get what people dont like about dee miliner he is a stud...people say that he isnt a lock down corner but how many lock down corners are there in the league? Maybe 2 or 3...if he can be a good to very good corner thats good enough for this draft...there are 2 elite players and a bunch of maybes...warmack and joeckel are the only elite prospects theres huge question mark about everyone else...

Chris Houston is a border top 12 NFL CB. He is only 28 going into his prime right now.

Dwight Bentley played just 4 games, and showed flashes and also displayed he had plenty of room to grow

Cherilus was really solid last year, but it wasn't long ago they considered benching or cutting him in favor of Hillird. Between micro fracture in his past, and the blood thing, he is a high rim low reward type.

Reiff was interesting. Doesn't yet appear to have an nfl body, but moved well and seemingly has potential. Hopefully with an offseason in the weight room, he can be at least a good starting RT.

Backups is old, broken, and not worth the 2 million.

Fox will be the backup and swing tackle.

The way I see it...

1- DE
2- CB
3- FS
4- RG
5- LT
6- WR
7- RB
8- K

There isn't a viable DE under contract on this team. However a high paid project with our best acquisition resource (1 pick) is too risky. There a to s of DE players on the UFA list. I will be okay be thrifty with who we start next to Suh and Fairley. Someone cheap like LoJack, a vet and done.

We have a top 12 nfl CB who I think we can get for 6 million a year. I think 5 for 30 million does it. We have a young talent in Bentley who scares me, but not as much as using a precious bullet on a high pick to replace him. I wouldn't trade the 5 pick for Patrick Peterson or Revis. Revis too much money, starting to see injury pattern. Peterson not a great cover orner. If I did make the trade, he'd be our starting free safety. Their will be a cheap vet better than Lacey. Sign Houston, get a vet, cross fingers on Bentley.

FS? I guess this should have been tops. If we pay Delmas, we can almost count on paying 5 mil minimum between he and a junk backup, and then playing that junk backup. He can't stay healthy enough to be counted on. A poor poor mans Bob Sanders. This is a pace to spend that 2 pick. Good talent there, sure to land a starter. Cheap price. One bullet, huge need, hole filled.

RG boasts riches and garbage via UFA. I will pass on the 35-40 million for Levitre. I love the C/OG prospects likely there atop round 3. Target one or 2 and plan to move up if need be.

LT. The money we have in Stafford and Alvin makes Fisher a no brainer. Stud technician, and likely 10 year Sartre. Again one BG bullet, but it fixes LT, and RT at the same time. Reiff won't be counted on to do more than he can.

WR- we may have to take a flier on a Braylon Edwards type move. Get a 2 year 4 million dollar offer to him. Guarantee 1mil and let the other 3 kick into a guarantee if incentives are reached. Big body deep threat opposite Calvin and moves Nate back to the slot. If not him, same deal for Ted Ginn give or take.

RB- 5th round mighty mite. See Jaquizz, Leon Washington type.
6 round kicker. Likely a top kicker there in round 6. Dirt cheap to sign. Skip paying a Dave rayner type 900k

Osi- ufa
LoJack- ufa
Houston- ufa
Antoine Cason- ufa
Charles Woodson- ufa

1 Fisher LT
2 Elam SS
3 Barrett Jones RG
5 RB

Woodson 1 year 4 million
Cason 4 years 12 million 6 guaranteed
Houston 5 years 31 million 10 guaranteed
Osi 3 years 11 million
LoJack 2 years 3.5 million

The whole shot cheaper than Avril
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe that wasn't posted yet. Laughing

I'm still undecided what we should do at this point. Confused

Sig bet
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:

Can't believe that wasn't posted yet. Laughing

I'm still undecided what we should do at this point. Confused

Thought about it many times.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: