Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

It's a trap!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tha Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: It's a trap! Reply with quote

Ryan Kerrigan ran 4.64 at 265 lbs, and rep'd 31 on the bench. That and he had 26 tfl and 12.5 sacks against big 10 OL talent.

At nearly 300 pounds, JJ Watt had 4.84 speed, crazy good performance in the drills. He was a very intense player, high motor, and interviewed great. He showed the ability to make interceptions, sack the QB, force fumbles, and made 60 tackles in his 2nd full year playing DE. He was a te before that. Even then he had 7 sacks in 2010 at Wisconsin.

Von Miller ran out the gym at 4.53 while weighting 246 pounds at 6'2". The is a much more solid frame than many of the workout successes this year.

Dion Jordan 6'7" and 240. He ran a 4.6 forty which is quite a bit slower than miller while being far more slight of from. Not to mention having 14 sacks over his last 3 years in comparison to Millers 31.

Ryan Kerrigan was much quicker, faster, stronger and was as if not more productive through his college career than Woerner. Much faster!

Von Miller simply ate up the likes of Mingo and Jordan. Bigger and faster than both. More production in college than both put together. High motor leader vs workout guys who took plays off.

Ansah had very little tape, and less production. Check his measures less vs say Richard Quinn. Size and Speed are comparable, but productivity was not even close. Aldon Smith was a comparable body type and athlete to Ansah and he also had much more tape and production.

He'll at 295 pounds JJ Watt out produced all but Woerner who isn't the specimen Watt is.

This DE draft close is full of hybrids that didn't produce much in college,are too tall for their weight, have questionable motors and tape. How did so many appear atop mock draft boards?

Check Cliff Avrils size and speed at his combine. Check his stats. He had better numbers both at the combine and in the stats column than many of these.

Skip DE. Look elsewhere this year
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: It's a trap! Reply with quote

Tha Franchise wrote:
Ryan Kerrigan ran 4.64 at 265 lbs, and rep'd 31 on the bench. That and he had 26 tfl and 12.5 sacks against big 10 OL talent.

At nearly 300 pounds, JJ Watt had 4.84 speed, crazy good performance in the drills. He was a very intense player, high motor, and interviewed great. He showed the ability to make interceptions, sack the QB, force fumbles, and made 60 tackles in his 2nd full year playing DE. He was a te before that. Even then he had 7 sacks in 2010 at Wisconsin.

Von Miller ran out the gym at 4.53 while weighting 246 pounds at 6'2". The is a much more solid frame than many of the workout successes this year.

Dion Jordan 6'7" and 240. He ran a 4.6 forty which is quite a bit slower than miller while being far more slight of from. Not to mention having 14 sacks over his last 3 years in comparison to Millers 31.

Ryan Kerrigan was much quicker, faster, stronger and was as if not more productive through his college career than Woerner. Much faster!

Von Miller simply ate up the likes of Mingo and Jordan. Bigger and faster than both. More production in college than both put together. High motor leader vs workout guys who took plays off.

Ansah had very little tape, and less production. Check his measures less vs say Richard Quinn. Size and Speed are comparable, but productivity was not even close. Aldon Smith was a comparable body type and athlete to Ansah and he also had much more tape and production.

He'll at 295 pounds JJ Watt out produced all but Woerner who isn't the specimen Watt is.

This DE draft close is full of hybrids that didn't produce much in college,are too tall for their weight, have questionable motors and tape. How did so many appear atop mock draft boards?

Check Cliff Avrils size and speed at his combine. Check his stats. He had better numbers both at the combine and in the stats column than many of these.

Skip DE. Look elsewhere this year

I'm feeling like the same argument can be made at CB.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you Franchise(nice to see you btw). The DE class has alot to be desired. Alot of these guys are just hybrid type players who could grow out and be legit DE's but also might be what they are now.

I'd perfer to go O-line early, and draft developmental DE' like Devin Taylor, Gholston, or someone else along those lines. I don't wanna draft a project DE at 5 or in the 2nd round.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a trap! Reply with quote

Karnage_84 wrote:
I'm feeling like the same argument can be made at CB.

There really isn't one CB in this class that stands out to me. Milliner is good, but he might not have even been a first rounder if he were competing with last year's draft class.

I think there's a lot of good value at DE, but the thing is, most of those guys are going to be gone by the time we get back to 36. Werner, Moore, Jordan, Ansah, and Mingo are all likely to be gone, and after that you're looking at a big dropoff.

I really just don't like this draft. I don't know who to expect the Lions to take at this point. Free agency will probably clear those things up a bit, especially with regard to what happens with Cherilus, Avril, and Chris Houston. If any one of those guys leaves, I feel like we're almost obligated to either sign someone comparable in free agency, or use our first round pick on Joeckel/Fisher (if Cherilus goes), Werner/Moore/Ansah (if Avril goes), or Milliner (if Houston goes). I know the Lions probably aren't thinking like that, but I do wonder how they're going to come up with bodies to fill the gaps in the roster.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
Irish Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the top tier DE's in this draft. That being said i do like some round 2 and on guys like Datone or Lemonier
Rockcity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what doesnt look like a trap out of this draft? who would you take? its all about potential this year imo. iterviews and workouts go a long way for this years draft. i dont think there are any safe picks.. but am curious now with your thinking/comparing who you would take..
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always make a complete argument, and I enjoy your threads as a result.

That being said, I think it's too easy (and flawed) to imply that "player a did this in college and measured in this way, so he'll be like player b". It just... it's not that easy.

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is with all the DE being underwhelming some team is going to reach on one

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this moment, Werner still tops my list.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cibowilson wrote:
At this moment, Werner still tops my list.

Eww.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here Fran.

I agree 100%.

In addition the first round is not the place to gamble.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
nixa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Cornelius Washington ends up the best DE out of this draft class. Only problem is his combine means he's probably gone before the 3rd, but he's probably a reach at 36.

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
6. Jake Locker

7. Andy Dalton
8. Kirk Cousins

9. Matthew Stafford
Tha Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

1 Eric Fisher
2 Matt Elam
3 Sio Moore

Fisher solidifies LT with a true pass blocker. I will compare to Ryan Clady. I feel fine with Reiff at RT. One safe pick entrenches LT and RT. with only Dom (old) and Sims (nearing contract) really in place and Reiff possibly in over his head at LT, I would say this makes sense. We already have the farm into Calvin and Stafford, we should give them some time to connect, and block well enough to balance the offense.

We draft Ansah or another DE, and odds are against that player being better than Avril. Not many 4/3 DEs have double digit sack production. We have one. Signing a guy like Chrilus or Levitre for 5-6 million, sticking Reiff at LT, and taking a high risk DE is not wise.

Elam and Moore are athletic, productive, and both really big play guys. Day one starters.

We get a 3rd down back like Barner maybe round 5.

Free agents

Michael Johnson or Avril - 4 years 40 million
LoJack 2 years 3.5 million
Sammie Lee Hill 2 years 4 million

DeAndre Levy 3 years 8.5 million

Quentin Jammer 2 years 6.5 million
Chris Houston 4 years 20 million
Charles Woodson 2 years 7 million

Find me a cheap RG and write it up
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no way we resign sammie for 2 years 4 million. Thats crazy
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tha Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
there is no way we resign sammie for 2 years 4 million. Thats crazy

Why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: