Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 15th pick the Saints will select...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: With the 15th pick the Saints will select... Reply with quote

Bjoern Werner DE Florida State

I was watching the NFL combine yesterday and something former NFL GM and now NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly said really caught my attention. Casserly and former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli were discussing evaluating different types of 34 personnel and what is asked of the player at certain position, peculiarly at outside rush end. Casserly explained that the type of player and the evaluation process starts with how much the defensive scheme asks that backer to drop into coverage. He mentioned Wade Phillips as a guy who doesn’t really care about the player’s ability in that area just as long as he can get to the passer and set the edge.

This got me thinking…

Sean Payton mentioned that our 34 scheme would resemble more of what the Texans and Cowboys did last season and after hearing Casserly mention that about Phillips view on outside backers I did a little research on Ryan’s time in Dallas. I turns out that it was very rare that Ware or Spencer were actually ever dropped into coverage. Of course it was done on occasion but it was mostly done for confusion if anything else and was rarely ever done in 3rd down passing situations.

Ryan basically uses his 34 outside backers as stand up defensive ends that can use their size to set the edge and there burst to rush the passer. This revelation to me completely changed my outlook on this draft and the way I see this defense being built under Ryan.

Before I begin to explain why Bjoern Werner will be the pick, here’s how I see the first 14 selections going down so that you have a better understanding where I’m coming from…

1. Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, OT
2. Jaguars: Shariff Floyd, DT
3. Raiders: Dee Milliner, CB
4. Eagles: Chance Warmack, OG
5, Lions: Ezekiel Ansah, DE
6. Browns: Jarvis Jones, OLB
7. Cardinals: Eric Fisher, OT
8. Bills: Dion Jordan, OLB
9. Jets: Barkevious Mingo, OLB
10. Titans: Jonathan Cooper, OG
11, Chargers: Lane Johnson, OT
12. Dolphins: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR
13. Buccaneers: Xavier Rhodes, CB
14. Panthers: Star Lotulelei, DT

So, first and foremost yes, I know what you’re thinking… Lotulelei missed by one pick! I do feel his heart condition will cost him some on draft day but it won’t be enough to make it past the Panthers.

On to Werner…

For a long time Bjoern Werner was touted as a top 5 pick but recently scouts have discussed that while he possesses a good size, strength and burst combination he just simply isn’t the athlete that the others above him are. At Florida State, the Seminoles used Werner as a 43 defensive end but they also have a lot of 34 elements to their defense. Brandon Jenkins was FSU’s 34 outside edge rusher in these lineups but after his injury Werner took over that position and excelled.

No, Werner is not great in coverage at the linebacker position but he isn’t horrible neither but the way Ryan will use him in the Saints new defense it truly won’t matter. All this defense is, is a 43 over front with a stand up defensive end. Werner could play this role perfectly!

When I look at Bjoern Werner as a prospect, what I see is Ravens free agent OLB Paul Kruger with a more explosive first step. With Kruger and Spencer likely being far too rich for the cap strapped Saints blood, Loomis can turn to Werner here to give Rob Ryan the next best thing.

The addition of Werner sets in stone the FSU product and Junior Galette as the Saints starting outside edge rushers in Ryan’s scheme and allows Ryan to utilize the athletic Martez Wilson in multiple sub packages where he can rush the 3rd year linebacker from various positions on the field. This gives the Saints defense depth and versatility in the pass rushing department. We cannot forget that while Werner may not be the athlete that Jordan, Mingo and Ansah are… he was still one of if not the best at getting to the quarterback in the NCAA last season.

PS: For those thinking, “where’s Demontre Moore”? The dude basically embarrassed himself at the NFL combine and he’ll be lucky to go in the 1st round all together!

I did however sturggle between Werner and Texas Safety Kenny Vaccaro (we all know how Rob Ryan loves his DB's) but in the end I went with the pass rusher which has seemed to be the Saints most glaring weakness for years now.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Porter22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saints drafting the German? I Love it!!! Laughing

Right now I can't see us drafting an OLB. We have three players at least, who can play there and we do have many other needs. FA will clear up some of those needs, but IMO our pick will be a CB or SS! Either Rhodes, Vacarro or maybe even poyer if his combine is as great as I expect him to be!

QB Drew Brees - 333 YDs ; 1 TD ; 1 INT ; 2 YDs rushing

DB Patrick Robinson - 3 Tackles
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Werner. Looked good in space yesterday in drills, too. With the fall of Damontre Moore, Werner becomes more valuable. Not sure if he makes it to us. Dion Jordan shooting up boards could cause him to fall though.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Werner in a mock offseason I did elsewhere.

Back when we were running a 4-3. Laughing

I think he'll be fine either at 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB although he does have a potential to completely flop at OLB.

Last edited by tylerdouglass on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. It wouldn't be the worst. Buuuuuut, I'm still on the trade down train.

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

#FreeBrandonHarris

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan: 3 tackles, 3 passes defended
Joseph Morgan: Absolutely nothing
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all change y'all's minds alot. When Payton first mentioned the switch all I heard was the pass rusher we need. It's cool I do it too. I've been bouncing back and forth between 5 or 6 guys.

Honestly I don't like Werner. I would much rather get someone else in that scenario.

As for position of need, I don't see one really over the other. I think every one will be happy with Jordan Bunk and Hick at DL. At LB I'm happy with Wilson Lofton starting and Galette Casillas Hawthorne and Vilma rotating at the other two. If we have the exact same secondary I'll be fine with maybe White starting over Greer and Quddus having a larger role. I would go BPA. If that's an OL it's an OL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: