Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A.J Smith Ex Chargers joins the Redskins.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuckleyBoy wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
Hard to deny Smith's track record :

http://blog.redskins.com/2013/03/08/smith-brings-winning-tradition-to-d-c/
Quote:
Smith’s job was to evaluate the talent pool of college players to draft and add starters and key reserves to the roster. He did just that as he was a key contributor to the Patriots selecting future Pro Bowlers such as Bob Golic and Steve McMichael to Massachusetts. While both men would go on to different franchises, Smith’s reputation as not only a winner but as a talent evaluation expert quickly grew.

Quote:
In 1988, the Bills would win the AFC East and clinched a first round bye in the playoffs after posting a league-high 12 wins along with the Bengals and Bears. (Sidenote: the Bears were led on defense that year by McMichael and his team-high 11.5 sacks). The Bills offense was led by rookie running back Thurman Thomas, who was selected in the second round out of Oklahoma State, as the team stormed into the AFC Championship Game before falling to the Bengals.

What did the Bills do for an encore to their first division crown in seven years? How about an incredible four straight Super Bowl appearances, one of the greatest exhibitions of conference domination in the history of football.

Quote:
In 2001, with a reputation of building sustainable winners, the San Diego Chargers hired Smith as Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel.

That same year, the Chargers had one of the most successful drafts in league history as they selected the pair of TCU running back LaDainian Tomlinson and Purdue quarterback Drew Brees in the first round of the draft.

Brees spent five seasons in southern California where he threw for over 12,000 yards and 80 touchdowns. Tomlinson would spend a majority of his career with the Bolts and set the record for most rushing touchdowns in a single season in 2006 with 28; a record that still stands today.
then why wasn't the team as good after they got rid of Marty?

Wouldnt that be Norv's fault not Smiths.......Reguardless, Smith has a great eye for talent..
Smith wanted Marty gone because he didnt get along with him.

Funny in another thread in the NFL News section a Chargers fan said different...
well for years it was widely reported that Marty and Aj did not get along. The owner Spanos sided with Aj Smith and Marty was fired, then they hired Norv

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, the big issue was that first Schottenheimer let his offensive and defensive coordinator interview for head coaching jobs (which isn't a bad thing, but I can understand Spanos being upset). I believe both coordinators were hired away for top jobs. He then tried to get his son Brian hired as the OC when the position opened up.

That led to a major rift between Smith (who I believe wanted to block the interviews, and felt getting Brian was nepotism) and Schottenheimer (who felt that it wasn't fair to block younger guys from moving up the ladder, and was torqued that he was blocked from hiring whom he wanted to be his OC).

However, the front office was a mess that off-season. Spanos only dumped Schotty after he tried to hire Brian to replace the OC.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
If I recall correctly, the big issue was that first Schottenheimer let his offensive and defensive coordinator interview for head coaching jobs (which isn't a bad thing, but I can understand Spanos being upset). I believe both coordinators were hired away for top jobs. He then tried to get his son Brian hired as the OC when the position opened up.

That led to a major rift between Smith (who I believe wanted to block the interviews, and felt getting Brian was nepotism) and Schottenheimer (who felt that it wasn't fair to block younger guys from moving up the ladder, and was torqued that he was blocked from hiring whom he wanted to be his OC).

However, the front office was a mess that off-season. Spanos only dumped Schotty after he tried to hire Brian to replace the OC.
and I read Marty tried to hire his brother Kurt to replace Wade Phillips. After that happened Spanos was really upset. Spanos sided with Aj Smith in the dispute and the team hasn't been as good since

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:

and I read Marty tried to hire his brother Kurt to replace Wade Phillips. After that happened Spanos was really upset. Spanos sided with Aj Smith in the dispute and the team hasn't been as good since

Anyway you slice it he has had success pretty much everywhere he's been sometimes great success
and he is not going to be the sole evaluator and King of all personnel decisions
he is going to be an advisor. That's it. an advisor.

Work with his son. Scout. Advise. Relax. and let the important people make the big decisions.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Anyway you slice it he has had success pretty much everywhere he's been sometimes great success
and he is not going to be the sole evaluator and King of all personnel decisions

Work with his son. Scout. Advise. Relax. and let the important people make the big decisions.

I've been doing my normal stellar job at moderating (sorry guys Sad ), so I'm just now getting back to this.

My biggest concern with Smith is who is he advising? Shanahan? Does he need advice and would he listen to Smith anyway? Allen? Why would we need another GM? Or, my nightmare scenario, Snyder? Remember, when Schottenheimer got Cerrato fired, Vinny just cosied up to Snyder as an advisor.

This just feels a bit like too many cooks in the kitchen.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
DCRED wrote:

I've been doing my normal stellar job at moderating (sorry guys Sad ), so I'm just now getting back to this.

My biggest concern with Smith is who is he advising? Shanahan? Does he need advice and would he listen to Smith anyway? Allen? Why would we need another GM? Or, my nightmare scenario, Snyder? Remember, when Schottenheimer got Cerrato fired, Vinny just cosied up to Snyder as an advisor.

This just feels a bit like too many cooks in the kitchen.
yep. It's been one of my points all a long. How's the saying go we have too many chiefs? Too many people who've done this before or that before and want it diene their way or what have you. I really think this was an unnecessary higher. Allen and Mike have done a good job without Aj.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: