Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A.J Smith Ex Chargers joins the Redskins.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
I like the move. He gets to be with his son and his friend Bruce. And chill with alot less responsibility than he had.

He's not writing any contracts. But he has an eye for Pro Bowl talent, and I can't see any way that bringing him on as an ASSISTANT can hurt. Him being Allen's assistant in the past only reinforces our scouting department.

Snyder did this to help Shanny and Allen, not to undermine anyone.
Great addition. We are going to have a kick-@@@ draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still think he drafts the players and the coaches develop them. Marty made AJ Smith look like a great GM throughout most of the last decade. Then, Spanos and AJ got cocky and fired Marty. AJ thought Norv was a better person to coach the team (probably because Norv was more of a puppet). Ever since AJ fired Marty, the team hasn't produced nearly as much pro bowl talent and it hasn't won nearly as many games. Aj's last several drafts were not all that great and it's the reason he was canned.

Marty was the man. Aj.... ehhh not really.

I guess I agree that it doesn't hurt to have him around, scouting and giving opinions to ShanAllen, but his track record was great in SD with Marty and w/o Marty it went downhill.

I'll be honest. I like Shanahan teams better than Marty teams. No question about that in my mind. Shanahan's teams always end up with a potent Offense that puts up alot of points, whereas Marty went with more ball-control (Marty-Ball) and wear down a team in a low-scoring game.

In today's Offense you NEED to score alot of points. Witness the last Superbowl where the score was 34-31 and both of those teams had really good defenses (although Bal is not as consistent as they were a few years ago)

So with the help Shanahan has now on the Defensive side of the ball I am alot more confident in him than a Marty type of coach. Having Smith help out Allen and Shanny is alot different dynamic than working with Marty.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
I like the move. He gets to be with his son and his friend Bruce. And chill with alot less responsibility than he had.

He's not writing any contracts. But he has an eye for Pro Bowl talent, and I can't see any way that bringing him on as an ASSISTANT can hurt. Him being Allen's assistant in the past only reinforces our scouting department.

I still think he drafts the players and the coaches develop them. Marty made AJ Smith look like a great GM throughout most of the last decade. Then, Spanos and AJ got cocky and fired Marty. AJ thought Norv was a better person to coach the team (probably because Norv was more of a puppet). Ever since AJ fired Marty, the team hasn't produced nearly as much pro bowl talent and it hasn't won nearly as many games. Aj's last several drafts were not all that great and it's the reason he was canned.

I guess I agree that it doesn't hurt to have him around, scouting and giving opinions to ShanAllen, but his track record was great in SD with Marty and w/o Marty it went downhill.

I'll be honest. I like Shanahan teams better than Marty teams. No question about that in my mind. Shanahan's teams always end up with a potent Offense that puts up alot of points, whereas Marty went with more ball-control (Marty-Ball) and wear down a team in a low-scoring game.

In today's Offense you NEED to score alot of points. Witness the last Superbowl where the score was 34-31 and both of those teams had really good defenses (although Bal is not as consistent as they were a few years ago)

So with the help Shanahan has now on the Defensive side of the ball I am alot more confident in him than a Marty type of coach. Having Smith help out Allen and Shanny is alot different dynamic than working with Marty.
wait, what help is Shanahan getting on the defensive side of the ball with the hiring of AJ Smith?

Again. Marty Schotenhiemer was a defensive minded coach. He built strong defenses, mostly ran the ball and then played good defense.

Marty developed those players, not AJ Smith and I'd be willing to bet up until Marty's firing he had nearly as much say in the free agency and drafting moves of the chargers.

I'd be willing to bet, it worked a lot like how the Shanahan Allen relationship worked. Those teams that won divisions and had great defenses were a result of Marty more than Aj

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marcus21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you want.....Smith Drafted very well. He had a really good eye for talent. I think this is more give a job to a friend. He will have very little say in the day to day operations of this team. Another talent scout is all he is....IMO
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Say what you want.....Smith Drafted very well. He had a really good eye for talent. I think this is more give a job to a friend. He will have very little say in the day to day operations of this team. Another talent scout is all he is....IMO
The picks worked out also because Marty and his staff did a good job developing them.

How well have Smiths drafts looked the last couple of years? Not so good, again, that's the main reason why he was canned.

I agree he's going to be a glorified scout though

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

AJ draftded these guys and looked to see who was worth keeping or not. His down fall was not getting big time FAs but the man consistently drafted good quality players.

I honestly rather have him as the GM than Bruce but our FO has gotten us a division title so i'll be a good boy and be quiet . How ever if i had to choose a GM it would be Smith .

LT
Brees
Phillips
Gates
Cro

are very good quality players and 3 are HOF's.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

AJ draftded these guys and looked to see who was worth keeping or not. His down fall was not getting big time FAs but the man consistently drafted good quality players.

I honestly rather have him as the GM than Bruce but our FO has gotten us a division title so i'll be a good boy and be quiet . How ever if i had to choose a GM it would be Smith .

LT
Brees
Phillips
Gates
Cro

martys guys. Since Marty left, those players weren't the same. Cromartie isn't very good and Bree's played well with Marty and his sons development but really didn't take off till Sean Payton started coaching him.

Who you got since 07?

DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
wait, what help is Shanahan getting on the defensive side of the ball with the hiring of AJ Smith?

Again. Marty Schotenhiemer was a defensive minded coach. He built strong defenses, mostly ran the ball and then played good defense.

Marty developed those players, not AJ Smith and I'd be willing to bet up until Marty's firing he had nearly as much say in the free agency and drafting moves of the chargers.

I'd be willing to bet, it worked a lot like how the Shanahan Allen relationship worked. Those teams that won divisions and had great defenses were a result of Marty more than Aj

turtle. I was talking about Shanahan teams Vs. Marty teams

Meaning Shanahan's whole career. I.E. Denver and Washington. So when I said the help he has now on the Defensive side I was referring to Haslett, the coaches, and the emphasis the FO has put on the 3-4 reconstruction. Whereas in Denver they had Atwater, Romanowski, and some other good Defensive players, but you never really felt like the Defense was as important as what they built on Offense. Sure, they played some tight games and the Defense won some. But when you thought of Denver winning you expected Elway and the Offense steamrolling, maybe some sort of Elway magic or a dominant RB performance. But you never had the same expectations as say the Baltimore Ravens last decade, or the Steelers, or many of the Defensive teams of the past.

Sorry, Man. That's on me. I should have been more clear. Yes I know about Orange Crush it was a cute nickname but seriously it was the Offense that you counted on to come out and dominate in Shanahan's era.

So, Not saying that we are/ were going to become a dominant D, but before salary cap issues we were making great strides in building our lines and picking up younger FA's to build a Solid Defense. Now that we got the MaraGoodell curse/ cap penalty, we actually will probably resemble Denver more than if we would have been able to continue to build the D the way they were trying.

And that type of team I still like better than a Marty team in today's NFL.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a fan of this. A.J. Smith is a real jerk when it comes to dealing with players.
Dashing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Dashing wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

LT
Brees
Phillips
Gates
Cro

martys guys. Since Marty left, those players weren't the same. Cromartie isn't very good and Bree's played well with Marty and his sons development but really didn't take off till Sean Payton started coaching him.

Who you got since 07?

LOL right these aren't Smiths guys..........
DCRED

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to deny Smith's track record :

http://blog.redskins.com/2013/03/08/smith-brings-winning-tradition-to-d-c/
Quote:
Smith’s job was to evaluate the talent pool of college players to draft and add starters and key reserves to the roster. He did just that as he was a key contributor to the Patriots selecting future Pro Bowlers such as Bob Golic and Steve McMichael to Massachusetts. While both men would go on to different franchises, Smith’s reputation as not only a winner but as a talent evaluation expert quickly grew.

Quote:
In 1988, the Bills would win the AFC East and clinched a first round bye in the playoffs after posting a league-high 12 wins along with the Bengals and Bears. (Sidenote: the Bears were led on defense that year by McMichael and his team-high 11.5 sacks). The Bills offense was led by rookie running back Thurman Thomas, who was selected in the second round out of Oklahoma State, as the team stormed into the AFC Championship Game before falling to the Bengals.

What did the Bills do for an encore to their first division crown in seven years? How about an incredible four straight Super Bowl appearances, one of the greatest exhibitions of conference domination in the history of football.

Quote:
In 2001, with a reputation of building sustainable winners, the San Diego Chargers hired Smith as Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel.

That same year, the Chargers had one of the most successful drafts in league history as they selected the pair of TCU running back LaDainian Tomlinson and Purdue quarterback Drew Brees in the first round of the draft.

Brees spent five seasons in southern California where he threw for over 12,000 yards and 80 touchdowns. Tomlinson would spend a majority of his career with the Bolts and set the record for most rushing touchdowns in a single season in 2006 with 28; a record that still stands today.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:

Quote:
Smith’s job was to evaluate the talent pool of college players to draft and add starters and key reserves to the roster. He did just that as he was a key contributor to the Patriots selecting future Pro Bowlers such as Bob Golic and Steve McMichael to Massachusetts. While both men would go on to different franchises, Smith’s reputation as not only a winner but as a talent evaluation expert quickly grew.

Quote:
In 1988, the Bills would win the AFC East and clinched a first round bye in the playoffs after posting a league-high 12 wins along with the Bengals and Bears. (Sidenote: the Bears were led on defense that year by McMichael and his team-high 11.5 sacks). The Bills offense was led by rookie running back Thurman Thomas, who was selected in the second round out of Oklahoma State, as the team stormed into the AFC Championship Game before falling to the Bengals.

What did the Bills do for an encore to their first division crown in seven years? How about an incredible four straight Super Bowl appearances, one of the greatest exhibitions of conference domination in the history of football.

Quote:
In 2001, with a reputation of building sustainable winners, the San Diego Chargers hired Smith as Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel.

That same year, the Chargers had one of the most successful drafts in league history as they selected the pair of TCU running back LaDainian Tomlinson and Purdue quarterback Drew Brees in the first round of the draft.

Brees spent five seasons in southern California where he threw for over 12,000 yards and 80 touchdowns. Tomlinson would spend a majority of his career with the Bolts and set the record for most rushing touchdowns in a single season in 2006 with 28; a record that still stands today.
then why wasn't the team as good after they got rid of Marty?

Marcus21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldnt that be Norv's fault not Smiths.......Reguardless, Smith has a great eye for talent..
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldnt that be Norv's fault not Smiths.......Reguardless, Smith has a great eye for talent..
Smith wanted Marty gone because he didnt get along with him.

Marcus21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We droped Marty like a sack of turds....... He is here to evaluate talent. Bruce Allen is our GM. Im not sure what the problem is?
BuckleyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Funny in another thread in the NFL News section a Chargers fan said different...

kiltman on the sig

JMU Class of 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: